Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been scouring the internet for hours looking for information on a Walther PPK 7.65 we are selling for an estate.

Attached are photos and any help would be well appreciated by myself and the family estate we are working with.

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Late 1936/early 1937

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Everything looks fine, except the grips are broken on both sides and got some unidentifical splashs of color. Nothing special but a nice pre war PPK.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Has anyone ever tried gluing the cracked areas together. I've glued a finger extension with Gorilla Glue and it worked perfectly. No mess, no glue showing. But I did clamp it. Seems these could be glued and then carefully refitted, removing any internal material that might be too tight. You have to be careful the glue that you use doesn't melt the plastic.

Looks like a very nice PP to me and the caliber is just right. What would you expect value wise. $800 to $1000? 1917

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anyone ever tried gluing the cracked areas together. I've glued a finger extension with Gorilla Glue and it worked perfectly. No mess, no glue showing. But I did clamp it. Seems these could be glued and then carefully refitted, removing any internal material that might be too tight. You have to be careful the glue that you use doesn't melt the plastic.

Looks like a very nice PP to me and the caliber is just right. What would you expect value wise. $800 to $1000? 1917
PPK

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Has anyone ever tried gluing the cracked areas together. I've glued a finger extension with Gorilla Glue and it worked perfectly...
Zella-Mehlis grips were made of a plastic named Trolit. Postwar grips and extensions were made of Cellidor. That is a difference...

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Zella-Mehlis grips were made of a plastic named Trolit. Postwar grips and extensions were made of Cellidor. That is a difference...
Yes, I know it is not a modern polymer or plastic but I still wonder is it possible to neatly glue the crack back together or does that put undue stress on another area causing it to crack. Would heat help? Some of the these old plastics and even some new ones...like on Rugers will easily melt if the wrong cleaner is used. And I expect glue would cause the same issues. If one could be glued this crack certainly looks like a candidate.

Thanks Shepherd, they are all PP pistols to me unless further designation is important to the discussion. The PPK does have a wrap around grip that makes it particularly susceptible to cracking. Since this pistol will be sold as part of an estate I guess the purchaser can deal with it. Nice looking grips otherwise. 1917

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Trolit dries out and will crumble over the years. We are talking about ~83 years ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts