Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping you guys can give me a bit of info on this PP. I don't have it in my possession now but may soon have it. I cannot find any proof marks on the frame or slide. Right side of slide has no markings,
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
based on those two photos, I'm gonna say that the serial number was cut with a pantograph. After the original was removed by an expert refinisher and the gun was reblued.

·
Registered
616 Posts
be interesting to put a micrometer on the frame and see if any metal was removed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What does this mean to the value of the PP? Action is very smooth and the trigger is nice. Finish is also very nice. Does the serial number tell anything about it?

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
The visual appearance of the slide indicates a model manufactured between 1970 and 1973. It's difficult to say from the pictures if the gun is in its original state apart from the changed serial number. At least we can identify a grooved trigger as it was usal after 1968. The original serial number for the given time frame of the slide should be around 400000 to 435000.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What does this mean to the value of the PP? Action is very smooth and the trigger is nice. Finish is also very nice. Does the serial number tell anything about it?

Thanks all.
Any time a pistol is modified from its factory state, especially re-bluing, it looses any collector value premium. It is then considered a shooter specimen and drops to range gun status (generally $250-550 depending on condition, make and model, and how badly the purchaser wants it.

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
479 Posts
Going by your description and what is visible in the pictures, it’s a perfectly servicable PP. Used post-war PPs in decent condition aren’t rare or high-value items, so I do not believe there is that much collectability to be impacted; it may make up for that in curiosity value.

The left side of the slide appears unmolested. There is likely some specific reason behind that odd new serial with its letter-number combination, and the serial removal and replacement was done with great care. But I have no suggestions either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice Mike. Also, looks like you were correct about the Danish PP. I have another link here about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts