Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a p38 that was too cheap to pass up. I know nothing about this guns history or value. Is there some where I should look to find out more about the gun. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
BYF means Mauser Werke Oberndorf. Made in 1943. For more information we need good, detailed pics. On the pic you've posted the gun looks reworked.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take a look through the FAQ sections, Martin has given you good starting data. It looks like someone polished and reblued it, which would make it less of a collectible (so-called 'shooter') than an originally finished piece. Beware of the P38 fever though, you may have to get one from each maker, era, etc.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
OK, refinished/reworked as mentioned before. We can narrow down the yom to November/Dezember 1943 (SN + n-postfix), WaA 135 was the number code of the Wehrmacht Acceptance Office (Wehrmacht Abnahmestelle) at the Mauser plant during the production of the pistol. So it's a genuine German Wehrmacht P38.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At that price, you still got a good deal! Collectors might turn their nose up at refinished pistols but a P.38 with a steel frame in working condition, still has authentic war time history going for it.

If you do decide to shoot it, have it and the magazine closely inspected for function and damage first. Then after passing muster, do not shoot hot ammo in it!

So you have a "way too pretty " P.38, that you can enjoy shooting (maybe). That's a bargain for $275!

Paul

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
You are right, it's the frame I'm not sure about. Could be the missing quality of the pics (reflecting light, acuity)...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Personally, I think the frame is good. A clear pic with a grip removed might tell us more. Also a pic of the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts