Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned several P99C's for a couple years and just ran into a problem when I broke one of them down and tried reassembling it. For some reason the slide will not go back on. It gets to the point where it finishes pushing down the slide release catch and then refuses to go back further. It just stops cold. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? :confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I figured out what's wrong but not how to fix it, at least not for usre. In the rear of the gun, right over where the beavertail meets the grip, there is a piece of metal in the middle. Not sure what its funtion is but it is held down by a small spring in the back. For some reason, this is riding MUCH higher on my 9mm than it is on my 40 S&W's, high enough that it blocks the slide from going all the way back. I'm not sure if I can strip this down and get at it to fix it or not. Looks like it's held in with a pin, but I'm not sure why the metal isn't being held down to begin with.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I grabbed this blow up of the gun. The part which is giving me problems is the one in the 32 group, closest to where the line for the 32 connects with the outline enclosing the parts that comprise 32.

·
Registered
90 Posts
do you have an empty magazine in? I broke mine down one time with an empty magazine for some silly reason, and had the exact same problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm... I can't seem to get that piece to move in any sort of way that would obstruct the slide
Imagine if you will it being able to raise up another 1/16" - 3/32" or so in front so it does get in the way of the slide. That's what I'm running into

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imagine if you will it being able to raise up another 1/16" - 3/32" or so in front so it does get in the way of the slide. That's what I'm running into
I can picture the issue you're having... it's probably getting caught on the lever connected to the cocking indicator on the slide.

have you tried pressing back on the vertical piece that pin #31 goes through? This seems to be what the decocker button presses on, which would trigger a reaction with the part you're having an issue with, which is what appears to rise to keep the striker back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can picture the issue you're having... it's probably getting caught on the lever connected to the cocking indicator on the slide.

have you tried pressing back on the vertical piece that pin #31 goes through? This seems to be what the decocker button presses on, which would trigger a reaction with the part you're having an issue with, which is what appears to rise to keep the striker back.
Doesn't seem to be having that effect, the part I'm having an issue with seems to stay in about the same position regardless. I actually held it down with a QTip and was able to get the slide back on but I'm not a fan of using a malfunctioning weapon unless it's a whole lot more of an emergency than what I'm looking at here. I'm not sure I want to mess around with it... Seems there are a few pins there whose fit is critical. I think it's about to take a trip to Earl's... :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
after putting together, and dry firing a few times, have you stripped it again to see if the same thing is happening?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after putting together, and dry firing a few times, have you stripped it again to see if the same thing is happening?
Same behavior, I have a feeling the spring has come loose from its attachment points and is letting it move too freely. If I had the right tools I'd strip it apart to see if I could get it settled back in but I'm not sure I want to give it a whirl with the lousy selection of tools I have on hand. Depends on whether I get a wild hair I guess! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
must be something odd loose. Mine has no movement vertically at all, which suggests it's not held down by a spring.

Perhaps a pin has moved out a bit or something. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
must be something odd loose. Mine has no movement vertically at all, which suggests it's not held down by a spring.

Perhaps a pin has moved out a bit or something. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
I much appreciate the effort. Always nice to get another person's viewpoint, they always seem to come up with something I would try and sometime, that's all it takes! :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
From your diagram ......it looks like that part is spring loaded ?

Do yourself a favor and send this pistol back to S&W for warranty repair.
Most likely they will repair the pistol for NO charge and better - they will look the weapon over for other potential problems. Just include a note that this weapon is used for CCW and your life depends on its functioning.

You might not recover shipping fees, but the gunsmiths at S&W do fine work.
Call them and see if they will issue a RA shipping slip. Shipping will cost you nothing if they will send you a prepaid shipping label.

Good luck and keep us posted

JF.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If God intended everybody to be his own gunsmith, nobody would doing it for a living.

M
true, but there's always the possibility that you accidentally did something you weren't supposed to(i.e. me having once tried to reassemble with a magazine in place), and someone else may have made the same stupid mistake.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From your diagram ......it looks like that part is spring loaded ?

Do yourself a favor and send this pistol back to S&W for warranty repair.
Yes, it appears to be spring loaded. I'm not quite sure if the spring is supposed to be forcing it up or holding it down. My guess is that it is doing a bit of both. I'd feel a lot better about that assesment if I could get feedback from someone that has actually seen the part out of the gun. At least on my two .40 S&W's the part does move slightly up and down, but nowhere near the same amount.

I have a feeling I know what I did wrong. I think I rammed a qtip in there while cleaning and must have knocked the spring off its moorings. D'Ohhh!!!!

No warranty on the P99c though since it's used not new. They might still work on it for free. I think I'll give it a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts