Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a wwII era P38 for around $800 on layaway. It is my first Walther and I'm not sure if I paid too much (am paying too much). I noticed after the fact that it's missing inspection stamps on the right side of the slide. I haven't field stripped it so I don't know about any codes or stamps in there. I'd really just like some help with this. I have attaced 2 pictures of each side. I also couldn't help but notice the stamps on the left side of the slide are very worn, is this normal? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
I'll bet this wonderful example of a wartime-built Walther P.38 functions well at the range with affordable Winchester white-box ammunition and brings a wide smile to Herr Doktor (underscore) Burbeans. Doubly, I'll bet a nickel those wonderful (and authentic) Bakelite grips feel comfortable and warm in his grip whilst doing so.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
12 Posts
The gun had pitting, that by my guess, was caused by storage in a leather holster. The condition of the barrels is often not the best since corrosive ammunition was used, if the gun was shot at all, and cleaning in a hostile environment was indeed neglected.

Considering the refinish and unbeknown barrel condition, I think a post-war Walther P1 should not only be much cheaper but by far the superior gun - and I owned a few WWII P.38s and shot over a hundred P1s in the military to sight them in. I generally found the post war P1s better shooters.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You are paying too much. You can do much better for $800.

·
Registered
538 Posts
For comparative purposes only, this is a Spreewerk made P.38 that I bought along with a period correct holster and an extra magazine for a bit under $800 tax included.

I probably paid too much given that it's a Spreewerk rather than a Walther or Mauser made P.38. However, the finish is good, all the numbers are there, all the numbers match, the grips are correct, and the bore and mechanical condition are excellent. It met my criteria as a P.38 I wanted to shoot rather than simply collect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if anyone will even see this update since it's been so long, but I just wanted to let those know that contributed I did heed your advice. I went with a WW1 1917 Luger P08 instead of this shooter P-38. It cost me about the same and is in almost perfect shape physically. It had been refinished but not damaged like this one, all stamps are clear, al matching numbers except the mag.

Thank you all for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.