Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help to try and figure out how I could get some background on a Walther PP that has been in the family since WWII. Picked up by my Grandfather - it as a SN of 139793P and is in a presentation case - see attached photos.

Any help on how to get any history would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looking for some help to try and figure out how I could get some background on a Walther PP that has been in the family since WWII. Picked up by my Grandfather - it as a SN of 139793P and is in a presentation case - see attached photos.

Any help on how to get any history would be appreciated!

Hello,
This PP was made in 1938 within a serial number range with other engraved PPs. So you can be pretty sure it is authentic. The same ist true for the brown presentation case.
Enjoy!
Dieter H. Marschall.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I'd start with your grandfather's service record, to see where and with what unit he served in WW2. That might provide some important clues on the gun's background.

It's a magnificent gun, apparently silver-plated. I would resist any temptation to "clean it up", as irreparable damage could easily be inflicted to the finish. (It's survived all these years without assistance; no point in interfering now.)

If I had such a gun, I would consult with a top engraver like Pilkguns (on this forum) on how best to care for it.

M

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congrats your grandfather had a very good taste, BUT you need to run a gun oiled rag thru the entire gun, it is starting to show rust and pitting.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you know anything about the story of how and where your Grandpa came across this awesome pistol? Did he have army "capture papers" for the pistol?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much - I'll be careful on the care of the gun. As for my Grandfathers service - he was part of a team that was at the front of the lines looking in on 'important' German sites - think Monument Men (movie) but more Technology focused. The story he told is that he picked this up at Eagles Nest. Not sure if there is a way to confirm that or not - but that's the goal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No capture papers - just 'family stories'. Unfortunatly he passed in 1988 and my father has asked me to see if we can use the internet to gather any additional information.

By the way - it's gold plated - not silver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's more likely just tarnish on the silver plate.

Leave it alone until you get an expert opinion.

M
I will certainly be careful about the care - not a big gun owner so I'm a little new on how to best care for the gun.

Any recommendations on a shop in Northern VA where I might get some good guidance?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I will certainly be careful about the care - not a big gun owner so I'm a little new on how to best care for the gun.

Any recommendations on a shop in Northern VA where I might get some good guidance?

The "Luxus" grade Walther PP pistols were engraved or not, and gold or nickel "plated" and offered in the case you have. Some have evidence of personal presentation in the form of additional engraving along with the oakleaf and acorn motif such as yours or on a presentation plate inlet in the ivory grips. Inasmuch as Walther records were either destroyed or carried off by the Russians, not much further can be determined about your PP other than what Dieter has told you as to the time of production and originality. I doubt very much whether any shop in Northern Virginia or elsewhere can tell you any more than what you have learned here, where the contributors have had extensive experience with these pistols.

In addition to books and movie on the Monument Men, there were several books years ago on the technological teams working with advancing troops, including books on bringing in the German rocket technology with Project Paper-Clip.

While finding further information on the pistol looks to be difficult, further information on the military service of your grandfather might be gotten from the archives in St.Louis. Next of kin/close relatives can secure the service record usually with no problem as long as some basic info is provided. I believe request forms can be downloaded from their web site.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you haven't yet, lift out the bottom (part the pistol lies in) of the presentation case to look for any documentation or other evidence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "Luxus" grade Walther PP pistols were engraved or not, and gold or nickel "plated" and offered in the case you have. Some have evidence of personal presentation in the form of additional engraving along with the oakleaf and acorn motif such as yours or on a presentation plate inlet in the ivory grips. Inasmuch as Walther records were either destroyed or carried off by the Russians, not much further can be determined about your PP other than what Dieter has told you as to the time of production and originality. I doubt very much whether any shop in Northern Virginia or elsewhere can tell you any more than what you have learned here, where the contributors have had extensive experience with these pistols.

In addition to books and movie on the Monument Men, there were several books years ago on the technological teams working with advancing troops, including books on bringing in the German rocket technology with Project Paper-Clip.

While finding further information on the pistol looks to be difficult, further information on the military service of your grandfather might be gotten from the archives in St.Louis. Next of kin/close relatives can secure the service record usually with no problem as long as some basic info is provided. I believe request forms can be downloaded from their web site.

Thanks much for that info!

So I'm guessing there is no way to determine if this was located in a closet in Kehlsteinhaus :) Will just have to go with the stories then. We do have the records of his unit's movements - but as you might imagine things were a bit crazy at the end of the war in that region. That said, it is a family story that can be supported by documented unit locations - but, alas, nothing more solid.

As it is - it's a bit of history that we want to maintain as best we can - so now I'm looking for help with that side of things.

Thanks to all for the useful comments / advice!

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you haven't yet, lift out the bottom (part the pistol lies in) of the presentation case to look for any documentation or other evidence.
Ah, not a particularly wise move. The bracing under the cloth and edging with the white spacer around the perimeter of the case were factory glued in place with what I suspect was a hide-based glue. You could damage the entire set up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks much for that info!

So I'm guessing there is no way to determine if this was located in a closet in Kehlsteinhaus :) Will just have to go with the stories then. We do have the records of his unit's movements - but as you might imagine things were a bit crazy at the end of the war in that region. That said, it is a family story that can be supported by documented unit locations - but, alas, nothing more solid.

As it is - it's a bit of history that we want to maintain as best we can - so now I'm looking for help with that side of things.

Thanks to all for the useful comments / advice!
It appears to me you have two great war stories: the history of your grand-dad's service and unit and the beautiful Luxus quality Walther PP brought home by him from the war. Such an attractive piece really doesn't need any "history".

Reactions: Balogh

·
Registered
820 Posts
Then the discoloration is obviously not tarnish. I'd still get an opinion from an expert engraver before doing anything to preserve or clean it.

Send a PM to Pilkguns.

M

Speaking from experience, gold plated over nickel Walthers can still develop corrosion and rust on areas of the frame and slide. The gold is very thinly applied on most of the Luxus models and deteriorates unless stored as this one has been.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts