Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I am a longtime Walther fan but mostly dabble in modern platforms.

That being said, a dear friend entrusted me to price many items, among them a P38 that was passed down to him, and want to ensure I do so as accurately as possible.

Not once did I imagine having a P38 in my possession, let alone an opportunity to purchase.

I have an idea of what to price it, but would like to test the great minds here so I can compare my assessment-- I am aware prices can range from $600-$2000+EXTREMES

All signs point to a healthy pistol with no signs of rust but, some slight wear near most big corners, top of the barrel, top of the rear slide, corners of rear sights, and there is a slight crack forming on the grips under the beavertail (2mm).

So, any input on identifying year of production and an accurate value?

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Welcome back Boogs long time no see. The BYF P 38 is a Mauser produced weapon from 1943 so first things first.
You'll need to make sure all numbers match on the frame slide locking block and barrel. Check the markings on the mag too.
Close ups of the markings will helps us give you some better info about the weapon. The grips look pristine.

I'm not an expert on Mauser weapons but I'd say easily 700-1000 range. The earlier Mausers may be more valuable. As I said I am not expert on them and could be way off.

Here is what I can glean from Dieter's books: I think you have a 2nd variation, although the frame doesn't seem to have the "hump" just below the trigger axle (which would be the reinforced frame) but it does fall in the serial range: 3001F to 1150Q.
The slide may be marked jvd with an acceptance stamp "Eagle over WaA 706"

Reactions: Boogs and GeoNole94

·
Registered
240 Posts
The mag looks postwar. I don't think the slide will have E/706 (I don't think they made slides, only magazines), but rather E/135. Without paint in the s/f settings, and without a pic of the interior (which could also show locking block and locking block pin), this one may have been a Russian Capture that was given a preservative dip at one time during its Russian storage days. Assessment value is right about that IMHO- it is one of the more fairly common variants.

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
It certainly interests me Boogs. It looks like a 1st variation frame because as I said I don't see the hump but it seems to be in the 2nd variation serial number range. What are the markings on the left side of the slide?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Always good to see you around, OS, your knowledge is always appreciated

You are spot on, it is a Mauser/byf 43

Serial:
on slide, frame, barrel, and locking block-- looks like a complete pistol

Proof:
  • Eagle 135 on slide, frame, barrel
  • Locking block is just an eagle proof, no numerical data to accompany it
No proofs on magazine so seems you are correct, matthanne

I am thinking in that $700-$1000 range as well, it looks healthy considering its age.. but looks can be deceiving, I imagine it was purchased and stowed away, will have to put some through it

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Use puff ammo like WWB 115. But you already knew that.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yessir... may be awhile before its back to where it should be $$$.

Let's pop some off, OS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts