Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this 22 rimfire Walther for some time and use it for target shooting and need help in identifying it. I see a few different Sportmodell V but have not found one with this bolt and no safety. I would like to add a value to it for insurance if possible. The serial number is 21993, is it possible to date it by this? I hope I got the pictures to attach.

Thanks

Walther 11.jpg

Walther bolt.jpg

Walther but plate.jpg

Walther sight.jpg

Walther top action.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have had this 22 rimfire Walther for some time and use it for target shooting and need help in identifying it. I see a few different Sportmodell V but have not found one with this bolt and no safety. I would like to add a value to it for insurance if possible. The serial number is 21993, is it possible to date it by this? I hope I got the pictures to attach.
Thanks

You have a Walther Model 4 produced in the 1920s through very early 1930. I have attached a US sales brochure by which you can identify the features of yours with the exception of the safety which was attached to the very end of the rear mounted bolt handle. The enclosed chamber differed greatly from subsequent Walther bolt action rifles that featured Walther's patented half-round bolt and open chamber. I would place a value on it at perhaps $500. The wood on yours is exceptional it appears.

Also, if you search this forum (Walther Rifles) with advanced search and my user name, you will find other examples of your early Walther design rifle, including images of the safety. I believe yours was removed, as I cannot imagine that firm producing a rifle without a safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have a Walther Model 4 produced in the 1920s through very early 1930. I have attached a US sales brochure by which you can identify the features of yours with the exception of the safety which was attached to the very end of the rear mounted bolt handle. The enclosed chamber differed greatly from subsequent Walther bolt action rifles that featured Walther's patented half-round bolt and open chamber. I would place a value on it at perhaps $500. The wood on yours is exceptional it appears.

Also, if you search this forum (Walther Rifles) with advanced search and my user name, you will find other examples of your early Walther design rifle, including images of the safety. I believe yours was removed, as I cannot imagine that firm producing a rifle without a safety.
I have the same exact rifle as grandpasteve, no safety just as his photos show. I can send pictures for your opinion, but I can’t see indication that there was ever a safety. His pictures are the first time I have been able to find an exact match to this gun. Mine is missing both the ejector and rear sight, any ideas on sourcing parts for something as old/rare as these guns seem to be?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts