Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the forum. I went through the sticky's for the new guy questions and tried to figure this out on my own. I will start off with I know very little about Walther PP's. I recently acquired this PP in a group of firearms I purchased. The pistol has no markings I can find other than a sn on the slide and one on the frame which do not match. I was looking at the Some websites to help PP/PPK owners ID their guns sticky and at the date codes of AC seems to be 2002. But then I looked at the Walther PP & PPK Date Charts (See Post#2) and it looks like it might be 1968 or 1969. I found the website WW2 Small Arms Identification Gallery to have a gun very similar about half way down the page

Walther PP AC Marked - produced 1944-1945
Caliber 7.65mm - 8 round magazine
Approximately 10,000 produced

Not sure if this is what I have. As each document I have found seems to point to a different year. The gun appears to have low quality machine work that I wouldn't expect on a Walther, but if made towards the end of the war it would make sense that they where just pumping them out. If made in 44 or 45 i doubt the grips are period correct with the clear material the grips are made out of.

It does have a crack on the slide on the ejection port about a 1/4" above the ejector and also what appears to be another crack towards the back of the ejector. So I think it is just a display piece at this point. Any info you experts could shed would be appreciated. At first I thought it was a clone/copy, but I don't know enough about them to determine it any further.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Looks like a mismatch pistol from 44/45 that was chromed later.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
1945. I can't see any proofmark. Could be a so called 'lunch box' gun of a Walther employee. Made at home with parts from the factory. Or a gun assembled in the factory after Zella-Mehlis was taken by the US-Army.

In addition: The grips are replacements and no, they are not time correct ;). An yes, chromed later.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I was looking at the Some websites to help PP/PPK owners ID their guns sticky and at the date codes of AC seems to be 2002.
A date code of "AC" really implies the year 2002, but in the case of your pistol, it is not a date code "AC" but rather a manufacturer code "ac", which belongs to the manufacturer code system used by the Germans during World War II. The main purpose of the code was to disguise the origin of the articles so designated. At that time, the code "ac" was assigned to the Walther Waffenfabrik in Zella-Mehlis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts