Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this here because I figured most of you that have a pps probably also have a p99 or have had one in the past. I'm waiting on my chl to come in the mail, and have been looking at what to carry. I currently have a p99 as. I have been looking at a p99c or pps. I love the trigger on the as that I have, and I am used to the way it feels. This is my main reason for going with the p99c because I can get the as model and it will have the same trigger. I am a little concerned about the extra width of the p99c though. I love the size of the pps (mainly the width), but I am worried that it will be weird switching from one trigger style to the other (I plan to shoot both at the range). Also, I'm afraid that finding the right holster that fits me will be a problem because there seem to be fewer models that are made for the pps. So, what do you guys think I should do? Also, I don't know of anywhere I can go to actually shoot either of the two and the stores around here don't ever have any in stock.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Where at are you located ??
In time I think the PPS will have more holsters available than the P99c
I shoot the PPS just as well as I do the P99c/AS... no problems with the trigger at all

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

Well, I have all three.

The sad truth is that although imo the Walther P99c/AS simply the best all around pistol I've ever owned I've found, for my personal needs and appreciation, that the new Walther PPS has replaced it for cc.

Whoever it was that said "you can never be too thin, or too rich" had it down right. (At least to the "thin" part. I don't have any money, so can't speak to that issue, but that makes sense too )

If you hold the fine P99c/AS and the PPS and compare them you will find out that the absolute thinness of the PPS makes it the obvious cc choice. You will be giving up several rounds of capacity, AND the wonderful "AS" trigger/striker of the P99c/AS, but you will be gaining better sights (which are not a big deal in a close up self defense senario), and you will be able to cc the PPS concealable much easier than the thicker P99c/AS.

Hey, I have NEVER cared for the Glock, or Glock "like" triggers.. IMO the trigger/striker on the PPS is a step backwards from the "AS" triggers of my full size P99/AS and compact P99c/AS. IF Walther ever produced a PPS with the "AS" trigger I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but they didn't, and probably won't, so I accept the compromise and work with it.

My PPS has been 100% reliable and very accurate at self defense range from the get-go.. I can cc it in my FIST Kydex IWB Holster (actually the same one that I ordered for my P99's) and it fits perfectly. If you try both you will automatically prefer the slim PPS..

The only caveat: If you are a big person and your bulk allows you to carry the P99c/AS concealed and comfortable, then that's the best choice. I think for regular folks, (or runts like myself) the PPS is the better choice.

For myself I don't sweat the reduced capacity, because I always cc my Seecamp even when I can carry a larger firearm, and the Seecamp IS my b/u "mag change".. The Glocklike trigger/striker is NOT up to "AS" standards, but it works, and the more I practice with it the more comfortable with it I become.

I'm not selling my P99/AS firearms as I consider them the best of the best.. But in the particular situation where you are looking for the best concealable, ease of carry choice IMO the PPS fits that nitch better than the P99c/AS.

YMMV,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where at are you located ??
In time I think the PPS will have more holsters available than the P99c
I shoot the PPS just as well as I do the P99c/AS... no problems with the trigger at all
I'm in Texas. I know that after I shoot my gun, and then I go shoot my roomates Steyr or friends Glock, I'm still expecting a long trigger pull.

FWIW:

If you hold the fine P99c/AS and the PPS and compare them you will find out that the absolute thinness of the PPS makes it the obvious cc choice. You will be giving up several rounds of capacity, AND the wonderful "AS" trigger/striker of the P99c/AS, but you will be gaining better sights (which are not a big deal in a close up self defense senario), and you will be able to cc the PPS concealable much easier than the thicker P99c/AS.

Hey, I have NEVER cared for the Glock, or Glock "like" triggers.. IMO the trigger/striker on the PPS is a step backwards from the "AS" triggers of my full size P99/AS and compact P99c/AS. IF Walther ever produced a PPS with the "AS" trigger I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but they didn't, and probably won't, so I accept the compromise and work with it.

My PPS has been 100% reliable and very accurate at self defense range from the get-go.. I can cc it in my FIST Kydex IWB Holster (actually the same one that I ordered for my P99's) and it fits perfectly. If you try both you will automatically prefer the slim PPS..

The only caveat: If you are a big person and your bulk allows you to carry the P99c/AS concealed and comfortable, then that's the best choice. I think for regular folks, (or runts like myself) the PPS is the better choice.

For myself I don't sweat the reduced capacity, because I always cc my Seecamp even when I can carry a larger firearm, and the Seecamp IS my b/u "mag change".. The Glocklike trigger/striker is NOT up to "AS" standards, but it works, and the more I practice with it the more comfortable with it I become.

I'm not selling my P99/AS firearms as I consider them the best of the best.. But in the particular situation where you are looking for the best concealable, ease of carry choice IMO the PPS fits that nitch better than the P99c/AS.

YMMV,

J.Pomeroy

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think we are pretty much on the same page. I'm a thin guy, and while I haven't actually carried a gun yet (still waiting for the chl to come in the mail) I'm afraid that the p99c is just going to be too thick. I was able to actually hold a pps not too long after they first came out and I was amazed at how thin it is. While I still would prefer an AS style trigger, I think I'm going to probably go with the pps and just deal with the trigger. But now the question is finding one...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Like any other trigger design, whether you instantly like it or hate it, the more you practice with it the better you will get and the less you will compare it to other systems. Practice practice practice.

BTW: I was a thin guy at 6'5" and 205 lbs for almost all of my adult life. I'm now 55 and about 215lbs and I don't see where being thin is anything but a big plus for carrying any size weapon inside your waistband or in a belt holster. I do notice the small weight difference around my waist in general, but I see the opposite of you - heavy people seem to have to be careful about how they carry and conceal, as far as being comfortable and achieving concealment.

Also, remember to choose your clothing around the weapon, not the other way around. Don't wear tight chest and waist fitting shirts unless you are wearing another garment over the shirt. I've carried concealed for almost 30 years about every day including a job in a northern state as a probation investigator and after that with the enforcement div. of a large state department of Revenue. This does not make me an expert but I thought I'd share my experiences with you anyway.

You will work it out!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Skinny people tend to have more "hollows" at the top of the hips, etc, which will allow a gun to tuck in better. Big round guys have a hard time with printing; The gun just sticks out as a high point. (I've lost 35lbs over the last 4 years, so have seen this from both sides...)

Heck, I have a Springfield Sub Compact (about the same size as s Glock 26/27) and it prints if I'm not careful.

That's why I'm interested in the PPS. My Sig P232 never prints, and the PPS is about the same size/thickness as the Sig.

-- Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like any other trigger design, whether you instantly like it or hate it, the more you practice with it the better you will get and the less you will compare it to other systems. Practice practice practice.

BTW: I was a thin guy at 6'5" and 205 lbs for almost all of my adult life. I'm now 55 and about 215lbs and I don't see where being thin is anything but a big plus for carrying any size weapon inside your waistband or in a belt holster. I do notice the small weight difference around my waist in general, but I see the opposite of you - heavy people seem to have to be careful about how they carry and conceal, as far as being comfortable and achieving concealment.

Also, remember to choose your clothing around the weapon, not the other way around. Don't wear tight chest and waist fitting shirts unless you are wearing another garment over the shirt. I've carried concealed for almost 30 years about every day including a job in a northern state as a probation investigator and after that with the enforcement div. of a large state department of Revenue. This does not make me an expert but I thought I'd share my experiences with you anyway.

You will work it out!
It's not so much that I dislike the pps trigger system, it's just that I really like the AS and I'm just concerned that I will have problems when I go from shooting the p99 to the pps. Maybe it's not a big deal, I don't know, and hopefully with practice, it won't be a big deal.

I never thought it would be easier to conceal being thin. I guess I'll find out once I get my license. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts