Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me decide…For years I have been involved with Cowboy shooting and only in the last two have I gotten into autos. I liked the looks of the P22. I ended up getting two and liked them so well, that I also picked up two P99's. Both are 9mm. They are a '98 & '04 models…well I am in the mood/market to pick up another 9mm. I have narrowed it down to something like a Sig 226, USPc or the Walther P99c. I've never shot either a Sig or USP. I really do like the Walther's and am familiar with them… I am just fishing for some input….

·
Registered
130 Posts
Between the P226 and the USP, I give a slight edge to the older West German 226. It has a two piece slide and is better balanced than the current 226. It is also available as a CPO gun, making it a very good value. The USP is top heavy in my hands and is frankly over built for the 9mm cartridge. It is expensive, as are the magazines.

Both are very fine pistols. Handle both of the and decide which one you prefer in your hands.

·
Registered
333 Posts
JakeStar,
You didn't say what role you want this new gun to play in your collection.

You did mention the Walther compacts......... very nice and quite accurate for such a small frame handgun. I think the Sig p-226 would just duplicate the other 9mm's that you already own. But the P-226 is a very well designed weapon....and differs from the Walther in that you go back to a hammered gun as opposed to the striker design.

I like the idea of owning a compact.....because it gives you something different to learn and practice with. This challenge is the reason I buy handguns of the same caliber. Some days I just have the desire to wrestle with those small " pocket rockets" .

JF

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JF,
I probably would be using the pistol for CCW more than anything else although I might pull it out and use it for IDPA or USPSA. You're right, I really don't want another full-size gun that would only replicate my P99's…I am leaning strongly toward the P99c. I don't know if it is from my Cowboy Action days that makes me want to carry matching guns and calibers, or the idea that in the event that I was ever in real crisis situation, familiarity with one weapon system and muscle memory would be a big plus. Statistically I probably have a greater chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightning before it will ever come to that, but it is still a factor in my decision.
JKSTRR

·
Registered
525 Posts
P99c is great, plus your holsters will work with the fullsize and compact, and you can use the fullsize mags in the compact...its a win/win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts