I looked at tech specs at Walther America

They stated the following specs
_____________P99c______PPS
Length_______6.6"_______6.3"
Height_______4.3________4.4
Width________1.1 (slide)__1.04 (slide)
Mass________18.7_______18.3
Rounds_______10?________6,7,8

So why? What does the PPS have that the P99c not have?

I am not sure I understand where the PPS fits.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Its thin and you can choose how big you want the grip to be. For me the length (and to some extent width) of the grip is the hardest part to conceal. It should be easier to conceal than the p99c and you might might might be able to keep it in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
the weight is without the mag.....
so in the end with 6 - 8 rounds in the PPS it will be as much or less then the P99c with it's 10 round mag....
however the PPS is not as wide in the grip area due to it's single stack mag (it's about as slim as the P7 @ 1.14 inches)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yea, I figure the grip will be thinner - but they give U the width at the widest part - the slide - so on paper, it doesn't seem that diferent.

But, I doubt I will buy a PPS, personally. I'll stick with my P99c.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Besides, I have a Kahr P40 that is smaller, thiner, & lighter than a PPS.
That maybe so but we will just have to wait and see if the PPS has the bugs that the Kahr had so much trouble with...as to the comparison of the PPS to the P99c paper is paper. How they feel in the hand and in a side by side comparison is what will matter.

The dimensions of the P22 are virtually identical to the PPS...and there is quite a difference in feel between the P22 and the P99c...I think much of it will depend on the form and function of the PPS that will give it a significant
appeal. I seriously doubt Walther would have marketed this pistol if it is just another version of the P99c.

My question is will the PPS take the same nights sights as the P99c or will they be something different altogether? I hope they take the same sights.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets expand this

So I know it is only paper but it might be interesting to compare
from the web pages

__________L_______W__________H______mass____Rounds
P99______7.1______1.1(slide)____5.3_____21.2____15
P99c_____6.6______1.1(slide)____4.3_____18.7____10?
PPS______6.3______1.0(widest)__4.4_____19.3____6,7,8
P22______6.3______1.1(widest)__4.5_____15.1____10

Glock 19__6.9______1.2(slide)____5.0_____21_____15
Kahr P9___5.8______0.9(slide)____4.5_____15_____8

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Jake Starr;33640 I seriously doubt Walther would have marketed this pistol if it is just another version of the P99c. [/QUOTE said:
Oh, but they would, in a heartbeat--if it were cheaper to produce.

M

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I doubt that the PPS is any cheaper to produce then the P99c.......
keep in mind the P99 and P99c are in production... no engineering no testing no need to make new tools and so forth
I bet there went a lot of money into the PPS and I doubt the P99c is going away any time soon.....

but that is just my two cents ... and they are free so take it for what it is

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My catalog shows....6.6-1.3-4.3.....:confused:
If you measure just the slide on the P99 it is 1.099"

If you measure at the widest point, the slide release, that is when you get the 1.3"

So when they say that the PPS is 1.1 (slide and frame) I guess they are saying at the widest point.

These makes me beleive that there may not be a huge difference in width. Which I find hard to believe when you consider it is a SIngle stack compared to a staggered stack.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That maybe so but we will just have to wait and see if the PPS has the bugs that the Kahr had so much trouble with.../QUOTE]

My P40 has been 100% reliable, and came with factory night sights. Even if I didn't own the P40, I don't think I personally would be a buyer for the PPS. To me, it's just too similar in size to the P99c, actually weighs more, and carrys less ammo. I already own three 99 series pistols, I'm familiar with them, I shoot them well, and they're all AS models, which I prefer to the QA or DAO. To me, the advantages of the 99c far outweigh the few & far between advantages or the PPS. Besides, I think the DAO trigger of the Kahr is superior to the DAO & QA of the Walthers, which I can only assume will hold true with the DAO of the PPS.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My P40 has been 100% reliable, and came with factory night sights. Even if I didn't own the P40, I don't think I personally would be a buyer for the PPS. To me, it's just too similar in size to the P99c, actually weighs more, and carrys less ammo. I already own three 99 series pistols, I'm familiar with them, I shoot them well, and they're all AS models, which I prefer to the QA or DAO. To me, the advantages of the 99c far outweigh the few & far between advantages or the PPS. Besides, I think the DAO trigger of the Kahr is superior to the DAO & QA of the Walthers, which I can only assume will hold true with the DAO of the PPS.
Well I too own three of 99series and all AS which I like very much. If I purchase the PPS it won't be to replace any of my 99s it will simply be because it is a Walther and it will add to my inventory of weapons. The fact that it may have other plus factors over a Kahr, Glock or even a 99c will just be a bonus.

I have several pairs of shoes...all which do the job but some I like better than others but I do like the option of having something different...as with the PPS. I think many in respects have been coming from the perspective of the PPS replacing the P99c. Not so. It should be in addition to it....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To tell you the truth

I would get the PPS if I did not already own a Kahr P9. as for a very easy to carry bullet proof gun that shoots every time I pull the trigger my P9 is hard to beat.

I know that many have been critical of kahr as of late but mine could not be better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
... If I purchase the PPS it won't be to replace any of my 99s it will simply be because it is a Walther and it will add to my inventory of weapons. ....
More power to you. I would never by a gun simply because of the brand. I'm more interested in form and function. I see no use for the PPS other than as a carry gun. And I see no reason to purchase a carry gun that is inferior to several I already own, even if it says Walther on it.

I personally buy handguns generally for 3 different reasons.

1). As a carry gun or self defense

2). As a shooter

3). As a collector

For me, the PPS doesn't do any of the 3 well. But that's me. Other people will look at the PPS & think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Jake, I'll make a deal with you. You buy whichever guns (and shoes) you wish to, and I'll do the same.:)

After all, it'd be pretty boring here if we all had the exact same tastes.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I own way more guns than I do shoes....now the wife on the other hand....:eek:
isn't it so ironic..... I own more guns than shoes too :D
If I could buy a gun every time the wife comes home with shoes I would be a happy camper :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts