Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new p99c as and I am interested in getting some night sights. I was wondering if others have these and their opinions on them. Is trigicon the way to go? another manufacturer? any downside to nightsights? Is the benefit real? should I have a gunsmith put them on? (I am a better shooter than I am craftsman)

I'd be interested in any opinions- thank you all in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have Trijicons on mine and I like them very much.  I bought them directly from Trijicon so I wouldn't get some that have been around a while with much of their life already gone.  The green and yellow ones last 10 years and the orange last only 5 years.  I have green in front and orange in rear because I like the contrast, and the orange are not as bright as green or yellow so the front sight shows up better which I also like.  As far as putting them on the gun, it's very easy.  There's a little plunger on the right side of the rear sight that you hold down and the whole rear sight slides off.  You take off the windage adjustment screw and put it on the Trijicon sight and slide it all back on.  
The front is also easy, but requires a Glock sight tool for the little hex screw that replaces the tiny Walther screw.  I didn't have a Glock tool so I made a straight slot in the top of the Trijicon hex screw with a Dremel cutting disc and then used a screwdriver to install it.  You should also put some blue loctite or epoxy on the front sight screw threads so it doesn't work loose during shooting.  I wouldn't use red loctite as that requires heat when removing the screw; I'm not sure but that might discolor the slide finish or something.
There are other sight brands but I have no experience with them.  An interesting note on night sights:  I've talked to several law enforcement people that say after the first shot flash you can't even see your night sights.  I haven't done any shooting after dark yet with the sights so I don't know for sure.  It's an interesting point though.  At the very least, they sure make it easy to find your gun in the dark.  

-Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Rick.

That makes sense about the flash- didn't think about that. Of course your first shot in a nighttime defensive situation is pretty dang important so that wouldnt dissuade me at all. Also with my 9mm and my big hands I find the recoil very managable and the gun goes basically back where I had it for the first shot, so a good sight picture from the start is doubly important. I was wondering if you like them for day shooting, or notice one way or the other if they are a plus or a minus when the light it good.

thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have Trijicons that came from the factory on my Beretta 92G. They are adequate for daylight shooting...but they wouldn't be my first choice. I put a HiViz fiber optic sight on my P99, which I prefer for day time.

I'll echo what Rick said about the ease of installation. I was actually able to use a small socket to reinstall my front screw -- but a correct tool would have been easier. I used the Blue Loktite and it's solid 500 rounds later.

Night sights can generate a lot of debate. Some people won't leave home without them. Others (like me) question the likelihood that I'm going to be shooting at a target in the dark where the real value of night sights comes in. If there's even weak background lighting, I've found that the night sights get washed out pretty quickly. (But I have to say that in total darkness, they are VERY bright.) Rick already raised the issue of muzzle flash...your ability to see the sight in the dark will probably be gone after the first shot. It comes down to your personal philosophy on how you envision any engagements taking place. If you can, I'd recommend getting with someone who has night sights installed and trying them out to see how you like them. If you're going to use the pistol a lot for day time shooting (target, competition) then you'll probably want to be sure you're happy with it for that 99.9% of the time it gets used.

Just my $0.02....

Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is my look on the issue:

85% of defensive shootings occur at night.

My meprolights are pretty bright, pretty inexpensive, and I have no trouble figuring out which is the front sight post.

PS- Get the glock sight installation tool if you go with the meprolights, it is worth it.

EDIT - Also, I have no complaints using them in daylight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For normal daylight shooting it would be hard to beat the stock Walther sights, IMHO, as they are bright white fairly large dots. The Trijicon sights are not as bright white and the dot is not a solid dot. I sure like 'em in low light though.
After reading Jim's post I remembered I did use blue loctite not green (green is for post assembly work) and I corrected my post so it won't mislead anyone.
Tabor, I thought about buying that Glock tool from Brownell's (I think it's under $20) but didn't think I'd use it that much. But the more I think about it, I would no doubt use it again every time I trade Walthers or other guns. I will buy it next time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Memphis,
How's Elvis?
Okay seriously, if you haven't already done so you should read the thread posted by Sniper350 about Xsights, 24/7. I have two 99's, am looking for a compact and I plan on installing the 24/7 Big Dot on the compact. Depending on if you are regularly shooting your compact or a packing mainly for defense, may help determine your choice of night sights. Any way you go you will need to master the art of point shooting. After that first, critical shot, your night vision will have been impaired. So instinctive or point shooting, at night, in a self-defense situation will be vital. And become profiicient with one and two handed grip.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Most likely a defensive shooting will occur at night but that doesn't mean you shoot at a dark target. That's what your flashlight is for (gun mounted or otherwise). Frankly, if you shoot in the dark at a target you can not identify you deserve to be temporarily blinded. If you illuminate your target properly there will be no blinding problem from muzzle flash. If you fear this could occur simply close your non-dominant eye right before you shoot. Then open it again. Your night sight will be 50% preserved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ July 13 2005,17:46)]Most likely a defensive shooting will occur at night but that doesn't mean you shoot at a dark target. That's what your flashlight is for (gun mounted or otherwise). Frankly, if you shoot in the dark at a target you can not identify you deserve to be temporarily blinded. If you illuminate your target properly there will be no blinding problem from muzzle flash. If you fear this could occur simply close your non-dominant eye right before you shoot. Then open it again. Your night sight will be 50% preserved.
All well said. I carry an Inova T3 and I think it is the best tactical flashlight made. It might be a little larger than a comprable surefire, but it more than makes up for the fact by being brighter and more resilient to drops (it is a focused LED, not a bulb).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Inova makes nice lights. I carry this little multilight with me where ever I go. It has a dazzling alarm blinker feature that'll stun the snot out of anyone who doesn't expect that. It'll certainly get you noticed when you have to work on the car or something in the dark.

I have a Brinkman Xenon light with 2 3V Lithium batts in my night stand. Blindingly bright. I might get a laser for the gun just because it's one more aiming method and sure seems very intimidating. I've also been thinking of installing high wattage strobes in my house to temporarily blind the gobblins before I open the door. It's all nice and good to barricade in the bedroom but that's not where the kids are. Anyway, digressing from the topic, sorry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tabor,
Like you ,I have the T-3 Inova high power LED flashlight. I mount it along side and just behind my CCW holster. I don't go anywhere without this excellent flashlight.

JF

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sniper350 @ July 13 2005,20:06)]I mount it along side and just behind my CCW holster.
Awesome! What are you carrying it in? Right now mine is in my pocket and I would love to get in onto my belt.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tabor,
Both of mine ( I bought two--one I have mounted on my Beretta Storm) came with a nylon carrying case included.
The nylon case has elastic on the sides to grip the flashlight, but allows for quick easy removal.

My only complaint is the carrying case does not have a protective flap. I use a plastic telescope Eyepiece cover ( which fits perfectly) to cover the lens when not in use.

If you like.........send me, in a private message, your address and I will mail you the extra carrying case I have....as a gift.

JF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts