Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a P99AS 9mm, and have done a bit of research on holsters in the past week or two, and I think I'm ready to actually start shopping and buy one online.

I am looking for a black leather holster (preferably with a snap) to be worn on my belt in open carry. The belt I ordered is an Aker 22 (or 23?) anyways, the 1.25" width, so the holster must fit on that.

What will be the best looking, comfortable, relatively well priced holster out there?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a few questions.

Why leather?

Have you checked with safariland they make great holsters with a fake leather that is far more durable. Lastly I think you should look into a IWB first if you don't already. It can still be open carried, but if you get a conceal carry it work for two things.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I like Galco Holsters - but many leather holsters will mark a gun when it is new.

My Bianchi 7L marked my slide a but on my P99c. But, now that the slide is hard chromed - that won't happen anymore.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Most of the Galco holsters have belt loops of 1 3/4"
many of the "off the shelf" holsters are set up this way.
If you ordered a belt that is 1 1/4" width you will probably not find a production holster to fit this.

I would recommend looking into custom made holsters as you will find they can be made with belt loops or slots to fit your belt.

In the semi custom holster route I would look at FIST.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leather or fake leather would be nice, I hadn't thought about the dye smudging off onto the gun...

Where is "FIST"s website? How much would a custom holster cost? I would prefer leather, but is there a non-plastic alternative?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any holster of decent quality should have a sealer on it to prevent the dye from rubbing off. Its not like it will stain your gun though if it did, its really more of a concern for your pants. Personally I'm a leather kind of guy and I'm fond of lou alessi's stuff but I believe the people at milt sparks can also make holsters for the newer p99's. Also check out brommeland, mark garrity, and the others. If you're looking for something a little cheaper, don hume stuff is ok.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Rudy at Black Hills Leather made me a custom holster for my P99. I have the IWB/OWB model. You can switch the belt strap to wear either way. I like it a lot. He also makes belts. I bought one and am waiting on another. Wait time for both purchases is about a month.

One tip about purchasing a custom belt that some may find helpful is to ask for the holes to be spaced at 3/4" intervals vs. 1". You are able to get a better adjustment for fit that way.

Since this is my first belt/holster combo, I did learn some things that I will make my next order differently. I will order a larger belt diameter. The one I ordered is 1 1/4" wide. Next time I will go at least 1 1/2", maybe 1 3/4", to provide a little more stability.

I also have a Kramer leather IWB for a Glock 30 that does a great job of concealing my pistol in comfort.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've looked at all of the links that I could, and I really have trouble selecting a style because it doesn't show them with a P99 holstered, it's always a 1911 or a glock.

Should I make a thread "Show me your holstered p99"?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did do a search before I started the thread, I just didn't see very many of holsters with the p99 in them, which I'm curious about.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a Galco Concealable for my P99. I like the Galco line of holsters. I have Concealables for my 1911's and a couple Galco's with thumbbreaks for 1911's. Oh yeah, and a Yaqui Slide holster from Galco. They make great stuff.

I've also got a new Don Hume for my S&W MP9. Jury's still out on that one though. The MP9 needs to go back to the shop so I haven't really used the Hume holster yet. On initial inspection it looks to be of good quality and is cheaper than Galco.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Zenner! I looked at Don Hume and it looks to be what I'm looking for and at a great price.

Now I have to decide whether to get crossdraw or strong side...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts