Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few guns from my husbands estate. i can’t find anyone near me who will help me appraise his walther ppk. i am attaching pictures...any insight into the year, value, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
The PPK you pictured was made by the French firm Manurhan these guns were then sent to Walther for hardening of the steel and bluing and marking. The “65” on the chamber is the date of manufacture. The caliber is 9mm Kurtz or in the US .380. The antler is the symbol for the Ulm proof house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Sorry for your loss. You have a 1965 Walther PPK.

There's the year.

The caliber is "9mm kurz", more commonly known as .380 ACP.

Looks to me like it has most of its original finish left.
It was made in Germany, from parts supplied by the French company Manurhin, which were sent to Ulm/West Germany for assembly, fitting and finishing.

Would you kindly do me a favor, point the gun into a safe direction and move the safety lever so it covers the red dot, please? It's making me nervous.

As to the value? No less than $750 and up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your husband had very good taste, I am sorry for your loss. I concur with the others, a very nice and desirable pistol.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The above prices of course would be retail. A reputable licensed dealer would offer you $275-400.
Yes, my SWAGged value was "when sold to somebody who is NOT a dealer who needs to realize 100% profit when selling it". So don't sell it to a dealer. The gun doesn't eat, it doesn't have an expiration date, it won't go bad just by sitting for another 50 years (provided it's been properly lubricated and doesn't just sit on a damp shelf somewhere), sell it to a private party who wants it enough to pay what I said or thereabouts. Or keep it.

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Our deepest sympathies. Ma'am, if you're not gun saavy, find one of your husband's knowledgeable friends to help secure and make safe his guns. A widow who took our gun safety class brought her late husband's '03 Colt along, and it was very much loaded.
If he had a collection, check back here. There are honest souls in the gun trade, but there are a few villains as well. Perhaps we can give you guidance.
Moon
ETA- I see some additional posts have come in. They sum up the dilemma you face.
M

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Something we are all aware of, but would never occur to the original poster:

In 1968, the Gun Control Act became law which means imported guns had to meet "sporting purposes!" points. The imported Walther PPK such as the one in this thread became illegal to import because it failed the minimum number of points required for sporting purposes (funny, the second amendment doesn't say a word about sporting purposes), so it didn't get it imported anymore. Hence the Walther PPK/S, blah blah, OP doesn't care about that one.

What this all means is that your husband had a gun that was designed with at the time very innovative and futuristic features, like loaded chamber indicator (if the pin on the rear of the slide, underneath the hammer, sticks out, that means there's a round in the chamber and the gun is ready to go), single action/double action trigger (you can cock the hammer first before pulling the trigger, but you don't have to), decocker/safety lever...
...but it was made and imported during the short period of time after WW2 when Walther resumed production of these (mid 1950s) and importation of the PPK became illegal in 1968.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yes, my SWAGged value was "when sold to somebody who is NOT a dealer who needs to realize 100% profit when selling it". So don't sell it to a dealer.
Those of us who regularly buy and sell on the used market tend to forget what venturing into the gun world can be like for non gun people. Many of our customers know full well what their guns are worth but would rather take less selling to a FFL than meeting a stranger in a parking lot and doing a gun deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you!

a big thank you for all of your kind responses to my inquiry. i will use the new knowledge accordingly. thank you:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts