Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get an optic for the Q5 Match. Is there any optic out there that will attach to the Q5 WITHOUT using one of the mounting plates? Is so, who makes it?

Also, regardless of mounting plate, what would be a good choice for shooting steel and other sundry stuff. Self defense not an issue.

With or without mounting plates, I have seen the Leupold on Amazon, and they are kind of expensive. Maybe $343 on jet.com. Other options might be Burris (cheaper), Votex, Sig, Trijicon.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve got the Shield RMSc on my Q5. Use it for USPSA. For serious use I have a Trijicon RMR on a carry gun.

I don’t know of any that work without the plate. I would steer clear of the Vortex/Leupold/Sig. Look at the new Holosun 507c. Same footprint as the RMR but with a better window and about 2/3 the cost. They’re less than $300 if you can find em in stock somewhere.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I have two optics I use on my Q5, a DocterC and Meopta Meored. The docter is smaller, lighter has a bright finder, auto brightness works well in all conditions, holds zero. The MeoRed is sturdier and is user adjustable on reticle light. Glass looks heavier duty and aspherical (I believe). Both mount to the Docter plate, use different holes.

If you want no-muss no fuss, Docter C, if a tunable instrument MeoRed, optics look better than Zeiss and Leica to me. I've seen or shot all including Trijicon (own 1 poor contrast and window seems dark), Vortex Venom (own4 and selling them off with guns under them good optic, LED "Dot" image isn't round and you can see wires to led, and NO it's not my astigmatism, don't have one), 2 Eotech MRDS (Lousy lenses, nice bodies, ok service). From now on, only Docters and Meoreds for me... 3-3.5 MOAs.... Hope this helps...

on cost? Docter C US ~$320 EuroOptic, sometimes 280, Meored OPlanet cheapest $440ish

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a docter sight c on my q5 and have had a vortex viper, holosun 507c and a delta point pro. The dpp went on my cz and I sold the holosun because I don't like the slight magnification it has. Of the options I would recommend the dpp, u can get one for 300 and less if you sign up for a ngoa trial and use their price match to save an extra 5 percent. The dpp has the clearest glass, largest window and is rock solid all around the rmr is the most durable if that is important, I think the dpp is more than durable enough for carry and self defense. See if you can try them out first the rmr has a bluish tint to it but the dot is extremely crisp. If you can get a vortex for less than 200 it's a good value but it's worth the extra for a dpp if you can get one for 300 or less
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/030317005856

302 on the cheapest one in that site and ngoa will take off 5% if you do a trial membership but u have to sign up and call them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look at the new Holosun 507c. Same footprint as the RMR but with a better window and about 2/3 the cost. They’re less than $300 if you can find em in stock somewhere.
On another forum looks as though there was a voluntary recall on the 507C for flickering, that my be why they are hard to find.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The 507c recall is voluntary not mandatory. I think the issue is with the units auto brightness setting which in my opinion is horrible and way too sensitive. Switch it to manual adjust and most people that think they are flickering will probably fix it. Some of the early units would shut off because of bad connections, if you have a model doing that return it immediately, I think the 507c is better suited for pcc's or shotguns than pistols compared to other options but that is just my opinion

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had good results with my Vortes Viper 6MOA now mounted on my SIG X5. The Vortex warranty up here is outstanding. If the unit is faulty Vortex replaces it...simple. That maybe the experience you have in the US on most products. Up here warranties are hit and miss at best. Vortex is great.

Over the years I have had issues with an original Sparc, which Vortex replaced with a newer version which has worked perfectly and the Viper which has been replaced and is working great. Both units hold zero and work well for shooting IDPA.

These reflex sights go through a lot while resting on the slide so pick one where you know the warranty is going to b honoured at little to no expense to you.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
So far I'm really pleased with the HS507c on my Q5. Got it 2 weeks ago after a 2 month back order. Hopefully it has the recall fix. I think the circle dot is the way to go. Big easy to find circle for quick acquisition low precision shots with a small 2moa dot for when you really want it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a docter sight c on my q5 and have had a vortex viper, holosun 507c and a delta point pro. The dpp went on my cz and I sold the holosun because I don't like the slight magnification it has. Of the options I would recommend the dpp, u can get one for 300 and less if you sign up for a ngoa trial and use their price match to save an extra 5 percent. The dpp has the clearest glass, largest window and is rock solid all around the rmr is the most durable if that is important, I think the dpp is more than durable enough for carry and self defense. See if you can try them out first the rmr has a bluish tint to it but the dot is extremely crisp. If you can get a vortex for less than 200 it's a good value but it's worth the extra for a dpp if you can get one for 300 or less
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/030317005856

I'm highly in favor of the Leupold DPP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another vote for DeltaPoint Pro. It has a nice field of view, clear glass, easy to find triangle/dot (with practice).

I found mine for $312 shipping included. But you'll have to shop around and keep an eye out for a sale.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Ive been using Trijicon RMRs on my two Q5s. I do not know if it is the best because I have not tried all of them. I can say it is darn good though and a high quality option. You are unlikely to be unhappy with this item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another vote for the DPP. It is my first optic and just used it the first time yesterday.

No problems picking up the dot, so no need for a co-witnes iron sites.

Optics are amazing.

And replacing the battery is on top of the unit, so no need to remove the optic to replace battery.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The dpp is my 1st choice for a competition or plinking gun and all around best value for money if you go 7.5 moa version I scooped one up for 260 brand new a month ago on one of those eBay sales.
The problem with the dpp for self defense is the brightness adjustment is horribly slow and clunky. The rmr 02 is still best for durability and reliability for self defense.
I've owned a vortex viper, rms c, doctor sight and I've shot an rmr and vortex venom several times. The vortex is fine if you can grab one for under 200 but the dpp is very much worth the extra money, the rmr is worth it if it's for self defense and you can afford it

·
Registered
263 Posts
I haven't gotten super high round counts on my dpp probably around 1500 or so . I've used it in several competitions (1 of which I won) and have had no issues with it but I'm not dropping it or slamming it on things. Aaron cowan has one over 10k rounds that he drops on concrete every 500 and it's still running. He also had some fail well before that. But like I said if durability is of the utmost concern get an rmr or that new aimpoint. If it's not life or death the dpp has been far and way the most enjoyable for me to shoot with

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just install the Leupold delta point pro on my new Q5 sf. I have 3 vortex's on 2 XDM's and 1 on a Q5 poly. Buddy has a trijicon RMS on a glock 34. One of the vortex went bad around 2500 rds and the RMS lasted about 3500. Vortex is better for competition ,RMS is better for carry or tactical application.But the Leupold is a way better red dot for competition,easy to index on target fast and is super clear,and the biggest field of view. Also the new Q5 SF is super easy to shoot and to keep on target,you never lose the red dot. Recoil with factory ammo is soft not snappy like the poly Q5. Very impressed ,trigger is good but the Apex trigger is great,waiting for it to be released.With Walmart 115 ammo got groups of 1 1/5 inches repeatedly. I like it better than my CZ Shadow 2.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I haven't gotten super high round counts on my dpp probably around 1500 or so.
Yeah, it seems like if you're a medium- to high-volume competitor, best practice is to buy 4+ DPPs, because you're going to need one that only gets shot on the pistol that only gets shot in matches in order to minimize the chance of it going down mid-competition, a second one for your practice gun that gets the majority of the volume, a third that lives in your range bag as a backup, and the 4th is at Leupold getting fixed/replaced. The main "character" in one of those threads I linked earlier recently stated in another thread that between him and his wife, they have *13* DPPs just in order to make sure they each have functioning optics for USPSA Carry Optics division. They're very high volume shooters, but it still seems telling.

I love the idea of a red dot on a pistol for competition, but before I can even consider the possibility for myself, I'm going to need to see durability get better, because I really can't justify purchasing a product that I need 4 copies of just in order to be sure I'll have one or two that are functioning properly at any given time.

Just to be clear, that's not a dig on Leupold or the DPP specifically; it just seems like nobody has cracked the code of how to make an optic survive being mounted on a pistol slide yet. Trijicon seems to be the closest thing to durable, but even they have problems. I've seen some hopeful chatter about the new option coming from Aimpoint, but of course we won't know for real until people start [ab]using them with high volumes of fire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The guys that I know that shoot atleast 50,000 rds and up, get the most round out of the leupold DPP. They get usually around 20,000 rd to 40,000 out of the DPP before failure, 9,000 to 13,000 out of the Trijicon, 3,000 to 7,000 out of Vortex. That is the only brands we use,so can't comment on others. Vortex has the quickest turnaround on replacing a failed optic. But Leupold can't be beat for competion because of size of sight picture,clarity of glass(no tinting)you see what you are looking at with no distortion,ease of battery replacement(no tools needed). I don t think any company will be able to make a slide mounted red dot that will last forever because of the harsh back and forth action of the slide.Plus for the average shooter , all three of these brands will last them years of service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts