Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have been given my Dad's P38. Back in the day, he removed the barrel and destroyed it after realizing he had some PTSD issues. This was 30 years ago. I would like to find a replacement barrel and clean it up and bring it to the range.

Can somebody direct me in the right direction and possibly give me some insight into this gun. From what I am reading it looks to be worth getting into working order again.

Thanks in advance!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dUZtRVC9gXK81sfb7

·
Registered
321 Posts
Howdy! Pic did not work.

Most P38s would be able to interchange a barrel, note that the barrels are available but should also include the locking block and components, and have a front sight blade. Be sure to have a Walther-competent gunsmith inspect it though before firing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Got it now! It looks like you have a 1968 commercial P38, which has an alloy frame and steel slide. Pretty much any P38 or P1 barrel (with locking block) should work for it, I would recommend a postwar barrel as they are likely to be in better shape than a wartime one. This pistol does not have the mid-70s improvements like a hex pin frame reinforcement or heavy slide, but once completed and checked out it should be ok for a plinker using WWB 115 gr. You can find barrels at several places, Numrich, even on ebay as the barrel is not an FFL item.

Hope it helped your dad to do what he did, parts are parts but people are people. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
What I simply want to say: They are out there, cheap. Sample calculation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts