Walther Forums banner

Hello and can I post this?

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  93978 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings. I own a couple of Walthers but not a P5 until now, now i have two. Thought I would share where I got them from if it's allowed: A gunbroker seller (no relation to me) is selling German P5 police-trade ins in good condition for penny start and a buy now price of $499. One magazeine, various grips, hogue, plastic; both newish or worn. Has the flat stamped magazine release. The one I bought with buy now was dirty when I got it but has cleaned up to almost new. He's placed 6 of these in the past week and a half, one at a time not long after he sells one and each one has disappeared after a day or two with buy it now. I just bought a second one today. I do not plan on buying any more any time soon though I would if I could. These are not staying up long each time the seller posts one. Serial #'s I have seen are in the 0371xx to 0472xx. The ones I bought are 040616 and 041237. The 0371xx I saw had the non-strengthened de-cocking lever, all the rest I have seen have it. All except this last one I have seen have stamped flat sheet metal magazine releases, the 2nd (and last) one I bought has a milled magazine release. None I have seen have the hole drilled into the top of the slide in front of the rear sight.

When I got the first P5 this week, I noticed that the importer mark on the pistol happens to be in the same town the seller is in. The importer mark is very small and hard to see just above the right side above the trigger below the slide on the frame.

Is it ok to post this seller's GB name in case anyone here is looking to snag one of these? I have no relation to him, I'm in another State.

Here's the first one I bought cleaned up with new wood grips on it, hogue grips it came with next to it:

Yeah I needed to clean more around the decocker, lol, it's clean now.

-johnski67

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice shooter-grade police-surplus P5, which a better gun than many new pistols all day long and twice on Sunday. People link to GB auctions all the time, so I don’t see why not. What is not allowed is to be trying to sell a gun here on the WF while simultaneously listing it elsewhere, such as GB. So, link away...our P5 hound, DeutchlandUberAlles, will be along shortly ;)

#3 · (Edited)
Ok, the seller is "MasterT" aka Paul's Guns in Sebastion Florida. The importer stamp is Arms Intl Co. Sebastion FL, they don't have these listed on their website, I looked ;)

Here's the links to the two I bought so you can see them as he listed them:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803601616

and

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805100017

After the first one I noticed he listed another one same deal and after that one another, then after that one another. I just kept hitting view new listing to follow the parade, lol. Is the 499 I paid a fair price for these?

These have holster wear as seen on the slide and high edges, but I used a little cold super blue and the spots of wear virtually disappear. Did the barrel as well which also took well to the bluing touch up.

What's a Deutschlanduberalles? Does he colelct/like P5's?

#4 ·
If they are mechanically sound, no excessive wear or rust, and a good bore, then $500 is a good price. It appears that he has sold 6-8 of these, all at the BIN price. You can see from these completed GB auctions what recent sales prices look like. A clean LNIB commercial P5 will routinely fetch double what you paid. https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search/completed?Keywords=Walther P5&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48

Yes, DUA is kind of fond of P5s, as are a lot of us. Read some of the other threads and you will see that it is a popular model, which some of us consider to be the epitome of vintage all-metal Walther design.

Thanks for the first-hand descriptions of what the seller is offering.

#5 · (Edited)
I have not found any rust on the first one, and the bore was clean and bright. Like it had been carried in a holster a lot and rarely fired, but never bothered to clean when it was.

Just old black soot inside and out that wiped clean. This could have been from the factory test fire imho. The worse part of the one I got was the hogue grips with a hole worn in one side, as show in the picture above. Hogue grips are cheap and I already replaced them with a wood set. That and the finish holster wear spots on the left side of the frame. These holster wear spots disappeared almost completely with a little super-blue application and blended in well. As you can see in the first GB listing above compared to the first pic I posted with the wood grips; same gun.

Mechanically sound. Fingers crossed when this second one arrives, but his pictures are detailed enough for me.

#18 ·
Instant cold blues that come in a bottle will make the gun smell like rotten eggs. Whenever you examine a used gun, run your nose over it. Also, after handling it, smell your hands. If it's been cold-blued, you'll know right away. The worst part is that it doesn't stay blue long, and turns a distinctive "bad Easter egg" color --again, unmistakeable.

And it does not "prevent rust". That's complete nonsense. If you want to keep worn bright metal from rusting, wipe it down periodically with RIG. Or apply Simoniz car wax.

M

#8 · (Edited)
Don't understand the "stink" reference but these are shooter grade police trade-ins, not collector-grade lnib. ?? I'm not going to leave worn spots so it can rust there at some point in the future. It's not like these are case-color hardened finishes.

Seller responded to my contact: "We have two or three left at this time, with a small shipment to come. "

here's a video on Gun Stewardship and why you should take apart and clean and repair your "collelctible" guns:

and

#14 ·
A few pwn shops in this area of Texas are not considering offers below $1100 on BMI lineout P5s.

I imagine that they will consider lower prices when those guns sit unsold for months on end. You can still buy nice to very nice commercial P5s for that kind of money. I understand that times change, inflation is relentless even when subtle, and certain buyers are impacting the market, but I bought a NOS late-variation commercial P5 for under $1,000 in 2013.

#11 ·
I have not seen any police markings on these guns, except the small shaved dot in the white on the front of each trigger guard ?

There's a eagle N on the left side of the slide near the front and another eagle N on the Frame left side in front of the date code. Mine is IE on the first one indicating 1984 manufacture iirc,

I have not found any rust anywhere on the first one I purchased.

#13 · (Edited)
I've found one other marking other than the Ulm Antlers next to the date code and it looks like a 4-pointed star inside of a circle with a dash on one edge. But it's inside the slide next to the firing pin channel. Upon further inspection it looks like an edelweiss flower because there are leaves with veins in the center, very tiny marking. There is another more simple 4-pointed star inside a circle on the left side grip frame although more basic than the one inside the slide.

https://i.imgur.com/TaBr7zz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bPfpGMg.jpg

#17 · (Edited)
Answer from the seller on GB: "We got these from our European seller, and all he knew was that they were from a German police department…but not which one. It would be interesting to know, though. "

I took possession of the 2nd one today from the same dealer and it's in better shape than the first one. Looks to have never been fired, just pulled in and out of the holster. Hardly any soot anywhere unlike the first one. Made the same year, 1984 and about 700 numbers apart. Has black plastic grips and strengthened decocker. No hole in top of slide. Has a milled magazine release while the first one had a sheet metal release.

I'm happy.

#19 · (Edited)
Oil and grease do not prevent rust, unless you are going to keep all the metal parts slathered in grease. Bluing will not come off as it's a chemical reaction with the metal. If you heat up the metal parts then it will open up the metal pores and allow a better interaction of the bluing. If the bluing "comes off" then it's likely the metal there is still being rubbed and polished by something like a holster.

I've checked my guns and they don't smell like rotten eggs. Maybe I should break some eggs over my guns and leaving them in the hot sun? :rolleyes: =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.