Walther Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. Key to this is that you only focused on the reduced mass of the slide due to the porting … without giving consideration to the reduced gas pressure resulting from the porting. Less pressure due to porting should result in less recoil and slide velocity... compared to an unported P365.
Excellent point. I had not taken that into consideration and they are not 90-degree ports, so there could be an enhancement to that aspect.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I can’t imagine two small poets making much of any difference to the slide mass, but it’s something to ponder.

Anyway, I love the gun as it is. No issue thus far and feeling very confident with it.

The gun points very well, easy to shoot and easy to get quick split times.

I will do more side by side comparisons with an SAS and a 365 to see if it’s in my head or a reality.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
People will either love or hate the SAS's sights, as some will line them up very naturally while others will not.

I checked and the tritium is visible, but it has to be pitch black and, even then, the sights are very, very dim -- as in, so dim they're really only good for determining where the pistol is located relative to oneself. To be fair, even so-called 'bright' tritium sights are really only good for that in darkness -- since one shouldn't be shooting at a target until sure of it (which implies a lit/illuminated target).

Like most snagproof/low profile sights, they're not terribly useful in dim light, either.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Super Moderator
7,170 Posts
Concur with Surreal' analysis; the low drag sights aren't as confidence inspiring as conventional ones...but those are the ones we've used forever.
I'm getting used to the SAS sights, been making a snap sight picture in safe places (thus far, haven't been tossed from WalMart...)
BTW, handled a Hellcat; felt good in the hand, but it is a bigger gun than the 365, no matter what the stats say. Stat-wise, a G43 is scarcely bigger than a G42, but there's a bunch of difference in hiding them.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Just looked up and read through this thread. Some really interesting perspectives.

A few notes from my recent range test of the SAS:

• The porting flash is noticeable in a dark range for the first few times you fire; after that you no longer even notice it
  • Thus, I doubt there's that much gas being ported as to pose a hazard, even when holding the gun closely; It might even be a blessing in disguise, as if I'm holding the P365 that close then it's probably because it's within reach of the bad guy, and what little hot gas that may be coming out of those ports may be enough to discourage that hand reaching toward the muzzle
  • Inside a car I wouldn't even worry about getting gas back in my face; the gases are directed in a 45º V-pattern at the muzzle end; if my face were directly above the slide the gases would V away from me
  • The FT Bullseye sights do take some training, but I've been doing that daily just by keeping the empty P365 nearby and routinely bringing the sight to eye level and checking for alignment; I'm at the point now where I've close enough to see green even in the dark
Frank, as for your distaste for the ports, but appreciation for the SAS's smooth finish and sight, SIG just came out with a P365 SAS slide assembly, sans porting, that fits directly onto a standard P365 (they sold out within a week of introduction, so that says something, and as of today they're showing available again). Price is $249:

P365 SAS Slide Assembly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shot the 365, HC, and the 365 XL.

Ruled out the SAS for a couple of reasons. Probably a great gun for what it is but I didn't like what they did with the slide release and how it would impact one-handed operation on reloads, etc. Also wanted the versatility to accurately reach out and touch someone if needed.

The 365 and HC we're very similar. The 365 trigger was better. Having shot a lot of SA guns in the past, I usually go in with measured expectations on take-up and reset. The HC trigger was pretty much what I expected - a bit mushy and the reset wasn't great. A little gritty but that would probably smooth out over time.

The 365 XL was a different beast. While still a small gun, the XL was much more comfortable and accurate to shoot. At one point during my range session with it, I had a real tight group (about 1.5 inches) with one or two minor fliers at 7 yds, which I'll take every time. Liked the flat trigger and while it had more take-up than I'd like, it broke crisply with a relatively short reset. The mag and slide release were right where I needed them to be. Love that it's pre-milled for an optic and the fact that you can lego it with the shorter 365 slide. The only thing I didn't like is that loading the magazines were a PITA. Man, those springs are stout. Loading by hand, I could barely get the 12th round in. That's certainly not the case with my PPQ magazines and those are 15-rounders.

I ended up purchasing the XL. I also put in a pre-order for the Holosun 507k optic, which should arrive in April.

·
Super Moderator
7,170 Posts
Those magical magazines hold a bunch of shots, but those stout springs are part of the program. They do loosen with use (I can now replace a barney bullet), but a LuLa is still a must.
Clocked my SAS and standard P365; muzzle velocity difference was negligible, and more likely affected by the lot of factory ammo being fired.
The venting may reduce muzzle flip, but shouldn't affect recoil overall.

Moon

Reactions: UniversalExports

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Clocked my SAS and standard P365; muzzle velocity difference was negligible, and more likely affected by the lot of factory ammo being fired.
The venting may reduce muzzle flip, but shouldn't affect recoil overall.

Moon
I’ve been searching everywhere for some hard numbers between the two (I have the SAS) and haven’t found anything. Can you post some hard numbers comparing the two using the same ammo?

·
Super Moderator
7,170 Posts
UE', am away from home station, but the best of my recollection, the SIG 365 defensive ammo clocked at between 1080 and 1100'sec. This was in both the SAS and standard. The one box was consistently running a little faster than the other, and had more effect than the vented barrel.
My own handloads showed a little loss for the vented iteration.
Intend to do more clocking when I get home; my bride got me a LabRadar for Christmas; it's bunches easier than the old Oehler.

Moon

Reactions: UniversalExports

·
Banned
34 Posts
I've never been interested in the SA polymer pistols. The grip safety, tall slides, and "grip zone" markings on certain models just never appealed to me. This new Hellcat and the 10mm offerings have me intrigued however. Definitely want to give them a look.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Those hellcats are interesting. The XD legacy is proven, for sure. There’s no questioning that. Millions sold. Taking the reliability of that platform and minimizing it and putting that flat trigger and RMR reflex thing on there. It’s just a winning combination.

The flagship gun store down here is a SIG elite dealer and has rentals of that 365. Wasn’t biggest fan of it. Not a judgement. But if I had choice between that and the Hellcat, Springfield gets my money. That said... those sights on the 365 are really neat. Would be a stretch at first to get used to. But I think that would be easy.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts