Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by my firend Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore ammunition...and is being discussed
on the Frontier Sixshooter Community forum...check it out and put in your
two cents worth...very interesting discussion and the criteria empkoyed...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blowback semiautos are a symphony of springs working in concert. I had bad luck with Mike McNett's Double Tap .380 FMJ load functioning reliably in my otherwise 100%-reliable SIG-Sauer P232, even using new magazines and having replaced the recoil spring and mainspring (hammer spring) with new ones. (They were fine in a locked-breech Kel-Tec P3AT.)

The DT .380 95-gr FMJ load averaged over 1050 fps from my gun, though. (And like 925 fps from the Kel-Tec - about 100 fps than standard ball from that short-barrelled gun.)

Anyhow, be sure to thoroughly test a fast .380 load before relying on it in your blowback semiauto.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google the site I named above then at the bottom click on discussion board..
and you will be there...I bleieve Tim is using a Walther among other guns in his bullet testing....

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deputy: http://disc.server.com/Indices/208184.html this is the discussion board for the Sixshooter Community...copy and paste this and you will be in..then look for Tim Sundles commentary in the discussions...it runs for several days...if you want to get Tim directly...go to Buffalo Bore Ammunition and that is him,,,he owns it...I've used his 348 ammo and it is terrific and also his 44 Spcl heavy loads and there are great also...think if he develops
the 380acp and uses Gold Dots...which he says he is doing...along with other rounds...he will really have something...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deputy: you will need to scroll down a ways...Mon Aug 20th for the discussion...watch for Sundles name to appear and then follow the discussion...I am suprise John Taffin did not chime in...he usually does..
along with Lee Jurras aka the curmudgeon...many famous folks appear here from time to time...why not join in regularly...we do get OT on religion sometimes as many are in ministry...I am an ordained deacon...but we all love to shoot...you certainly would be welcome...Blessings.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Good grief! I read the post about this new ammo. I sure WOULDN'T use the first two choices!!!! The third choice may be worth looking into, however. I was gonna post a response there, but I am long winded and they only allow 16k of reply :D

So here goes...
Let me start with the first assumption made...that a .380 caliber bullet can achieve one-shot killing power. That assumption would have to be based on a human target that is standing perfectly still, facing you directly, and not resisting being shot at in any way. Achieving a precision shot as described in the post made by Mr. Sundles just isn't possible in real world gunfights where adrenalin is flowing at full speed in BOTH combatants, and neither one is standing still waiting to be shot in the correct place. Yes, it's probably true that a frangible bullet won't achieve instant killing power with one shot. It will take MORE THAN ONE HIT to kill with it. But the same holds true of ANY .32/.380 round. These bullets are NOT "death rays". You are going to have to score multiple hits on a "drugged up maniac" to do any real damage, no matter if you are using a .32 auto or a .45ACP.

Second assumption...that maximum penetration is okay no matter what the circumstance...let me quote Mr. Sundles... "You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family." Oh really? What if your family is BEHIND the bad guy when you have to take the shot? Or what if there is no solid wall to prevent a bullet from whizzing through the bad guy to continue on into who knows what? Does killing the bad guy take priority over EVERYTHING? I don't think so. What good is it to be standing over the corpse of the bad guy AND the corpse of an innocent bystander????? You have saved yourself and your family, but now you are going to prison for manslaughter. Wonderful. :(

It scares me that this kind of advice is given without any thought about possible consequences. This ammo isn't just penetrating the FBI-suggested 12inches, it's penetrating "20+ inches"!!! It's gonna be VERY hard to justify that amount of penetration when you are on the witness stand and you don't even have FBI testing/conclusions to back you up.

My suggestion is to go with the #3 ammo that he is developing. 10+ inches is plenty good enough. I know there will be some (maybe many) that will disagree with me, but I am not gonna get in any heated ammo debates like I did on the P-99 section. ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Don't worry the internet is not the only place for bad advice.

Locally we have a fellow who teaches a CCW class. His recommended CCW piece is the Smith & Wesson 317, a 2" all-aluminum revolver in .22 long rifle.

I guess this nob thinks he is training the Israeli Commando Corp or something. But I would not arm ANYONE who seriously needed a handgun with a .22 of any kind. If any of his students ever "sees the elephant" he will be very lucky if his name does not appear prominently in the resulting lawsuits.

It may disappoint some, but a .380 will never be a .45 no matter how much powder you stuff into it. All that is going to happen is to wear out your pistol and make it unreliable.

If anyone needs "stopping power" just get that .500 S&W X frame with the 2" barrel. I am sure "Gunderpants" will come out with a crotch rig for it soon!

Yes that was a rant!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today the base testing of the factory loads were reported for the test guns being used...I would stay with my Speer Gold Dot factory fodder...which I am well pleased with and it is a non P+ load...so much the better as far as I am concerned...I am not really a P+ fan....blessings...

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Heard from Buffalo Bore that the Glod Dot JHP should be available in a couple of months if Speer delivers bullets as promised, with a tentative price around $19.00 for a box of 20 rounds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts