Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what I do a cant get the pins to come out to switch out the backstrap. I have the the .40 AS post 04 model.. the pins holing them in are hollow in the center which seemed a little odd to me but can anyone tell me if there is a rick to it? do you have to press really hard?

·
Registered
70 Posts
use something that fits it perfectly(nail punch works good), and press it out, it's pretty stiff so you gotta use a little bit of pressure to get it out...if i remember correctly it was harder to put in than it was to get out, so I don't mess with mine anymore..

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Mike
like said before a nail punch will work...
it has to be just a tiny bit smaller than the diameter of the hole in the frame.(so it won't get stuck in the frame while getting the pin out) The pin is hollow for a reason. The pin acts like a spring....and is not like a tube... there is a cut alongside the entire pin and the pins diameter once out of the P99's frame is a bit larger than the holes in the frame and backstrap... this way it creates pressure when it is in the frame and this prevents it from coming loose....
I used a nailpunch and a small hammer, put the frame of the P99 on a woodblock with a big hole in it and drifted the pin out slowly

this is what the pin looks like.... just longer (it is a generic picture from the web)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I, too, had difficulty. I found it frustrating that no one could tell me what the size was, and not being particularly tool-oriented, what a "nail punch" was.

What I ended up using was a 5/8" drill bit, reversed, held in vice grips, and a hammer and gentle tapping. Fits perfectly.

I'll get a real punch in time, but the drill bit is redundant and one of the el-cheapo types I had lying around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts