Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day/evening/morning,

After a several month hiatus from owning Walther firearms..... I've dipped my toe in that other German company..... VP9/VP9sk.... anyway, I have come to my senses and have gotten "right" and now own a 5" M2 Q.

I have a small problem, I like my guns boring, black but beautiful. The prior owner has filled in on the left side of the slide where the Walther and PPQ roll marks are with blue paint. What can I use to remove the paint without causing damage to the slide finish? I was thinking finger nail polish remover and some wooden toothpicks and Q tips (Pun...).

Thanks for any input. And forgive me for my past indiscretions.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hoppe's #9 did the trick with a little extra paint (Testors model enamel) when I filled in my PPS dots. Definitely safe for your Walther's finish.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
As MarkS20 said. Hoppes should do the trick. The Tenifer finish should be fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dan Wessons Duty Treat finish is prone to damage from many available cleaning agents so I use Hoppes #9 SYNTHETIC. Never had an issue with the DW finish and it cleans well.
Just throwing that out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
PS Depending on how thick it is you may need to let the Hoppes pool and sit a bit followed by another round. I had wiped off the over flow so I just had streaks to deal with. One or two wipes with Hoppes on a patch did the trick for me.

PPS And why did I use Hoppes? It was sitting in front of me when I goofed. I did think of Goo Gone first but definitely wasn't sure what that would do the finish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give the Goo Gone a try. I use that at work on finishes much more delicate than a firearm finish. If that doesn't work I'll get some Hoppes #9

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update, 100% acetone nail polish remover did the trick, cost me $1.00 from Dollar Tree. I tested a small portion of the slide at the rear near the rail slot before commencing. It left a slightly milky residue which wiped off effortlessly. I did this three times to verify that there wouldn't be any finish damage. each subsequent test yielded less of the milky residue, so, I believe the residue to be dissolved dirt or oil that the acetone was removing. The embedded paint was removed effortlessly with a Q Tip dipped into the acetone. Afterward I gave the area a gun oil bath and wiped dry, she looks as good as the day she left Ulm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts