Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Walther PPK 380 a while back. I got it as a shooter as it doesn't have original grips - just wooden ones someone made - and 1 flat base magazine. The serial# is in the 901xxx range, which puts it somewhere around 1935 from your reference files here. It works and shoots well. Seems kind of a shame to use a PPK this old for a shooter but you have to love the quality and history behind this one. Condition isn't bad.

I would like to find another magazine for it, but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas on finding a magazine that simply work with this gun?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is a really cool gun. I haven't heard of many .380s in the Zella Mehlis guns. Some tend to think that .380 in PP series gun was kind of an afterthought for the American market... but clearly .380 PP guns were "a thing" from get go. (Well... at least 5 years after the "get go")

As far as mags...

I just ordered newly manufactured mags for my 1973 PPK/S. Made by MecGar (they make the current "factory" magazines for Walther). So... we'll see how it runs. I started a thread on new mags in older guns, and most seem to say the new mags will run fine in the vintage pieces. I think one guy mentioned the new mags worked fine in his pre-war PPK (in 7.65, I think).

If you want older mags, you could try ebay.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
If Dieter says it is too valuable and rare to shoot I'd certainly listen to him. He is after all regarded as one of the foremost experts in the field.

Guess you'll have to shop around for another "shooter".

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If Dieter says it is too valuable and rare to shoot I'd certainly listen to him. He is after all regarded as one of the foremost experts in the field.

Guess you'll have to shop around for another "shooter".
Indeed.

Oh, and what a Beauty bob888...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I picked this one up when it was the only PPK that I could find, I guess because of the import restrictions. I've had it quite a while - think I bought in the mid 80's but can't remember for sure.

I tried using current mags on it, and it is a no go. There is a definite difference between original mags for this gun and and later or current or manufacture.

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
For the OP, yes, contact Dieter and learn the particulars. It's worth tracking down vintage grips, or at least modern repros. If it is really that much of a unicorn, then originals would be worth the trouble. The wooden ones look artfully crafted, tho'.
Moon

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys. I picked this one up when it was the only PPK that I could find, I guess because of the import restrictions. I've had it quite a while - think I bought in the mid 80's but can't remember for sure.

I tried using current mags on it, and it is a no go. There is a definite difference between original mags for this gun and and later or current or manufacture.
Just curious... what happens when you try to use new mags?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I tried to find the magazine that didn't work tonight, but couldn't find it to see what the problem was. My understanding is that all pre war 380 ppk magazines don't have a rib in them but all post war ppk 380 magazines do - thus new mags won't fit the pre war guns. The 32 caliber guns don't have this problem - only the 380 caliber guns.

That is why if you want to take on a challenge, try finding a pre war magazine available for a PPK in 380. That is the main reason I will probably sell this gun. Too hard to find magazines for it.

If Dieter is correct in that most pre war PPK 380 guns have the bottom magazine release, and if those mags are different than the ones for a top release, than it is even more difficult. Looking for a double rare magazine for a rare calibered pistol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried to find the magazine that didn't work tonight, but couldn't find it to see what the problem was. My understanding is that all pre war 380 ppk magazines don't have a rib in them but all post war ppk 380 magazines do - thus new mags won't fit the pre war guns. The 32 caliber guns don't have this problem - only the 380 caliber guns.

That is why if you want to take on a challenge, try finding a pre war magazine available for a PPK in 380. That is the main reason I will probably sell this gun. Too hard to find magazines for it.

If Dieter is correct in that most pre war PPK 380 guns have the bottom magazine release, and if those mags are different than the ones for a top release, than it is even more difficult. Looking for a double rare magazine for a rare calibered pistol.
Gotcha. Yeah, without a slot for that rib... it ain't goin in.

I just glanced at Numrich... they actually have pre-war .380s mags--for the PP--in stock.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/207200

So they'd stick out of the PPK... but they'd probably work.

And someone with technical prowess could probably shorten the tube so you can make it fit flush... maybe...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks people. I ordered the last 2 pre war PP magazines from Numrich to give them a try. I also ordered one of the pre war 32 cal mags they had for the PPK. Hopefully something will either work or I can make it work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello all,
as Bob's .380 PP is a rare one with the top mag release, he might try a regular .32 mag, which is able to handle the top mag release.
Best wishes,
Dieter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Walther PPK / S .380 from Interamrs, and by chance a friend bought a new Walther PPK / E .380 and we realized that the magazine is not interchangeable. Those of the PPK / S have a rib on one of their sides, those on the PPK / E do not have it, they are similar to the old version. Maybe those serve you.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have a Walther PPK / S .380 from Interamrs, and by chance a friend bought a new Walther PPK / E .380 and we realized that the magazine is not interchangeable. Those of the PPK / S have a rib on one of their sides, those on the PPK / E do not have it, they are similar to the old version. Maybe those serve you.
No wonder they are not interchangeable with Walthers: the "E" is a restyled FEG PA63 made in Hungary. It's pointless to blunder around trying to make a Hungarian magazine fit and function when .32 PP Walther mags are available.

M

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got some 32 MEC-Gar mags from Midway on sale. They work fine with ball ammunition including holding the slide back after the last round. If I want to use hollow points I would need to take a file and stone to them though. They won't function with those at all. Ball ammunition is fine with me though in 380. Just glad to have more than one magazine now.

Midway still has them on sale for $21.99 if anyone needs some.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts