Walther Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I have the 5120700 and it does have the captive recoil spring but no decocker.
So there is really no doubt. The new P22Q versions 512.07.xx (USA only?) and 512.08.xx (EU and other European countries) are the most recent models and replace their de-cocking capable predecessors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought it in Cleveland Ohio. I’ve also been wondering why they dropped the decocker. I’m also wondering why they didn’t change the designation. Before I purchased this pistol I was looking for the qd version. But decided to settle on this “older” version. Imagine my surprise when I broke it down the first time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If Walther really has dropped the decocker (which is actually a feature I would appreciate, though it's not strictly necessary) I would imagine it's either because they were having problems with the components that have now been deleted, or more likely, an attempt to reduce costs on a feature they determined wasn't necessary in the market.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
For what they spent on that they could have fixed the hammer face. They got the flat area just right....except for when the slide is over it...then the hammer is tilted back kicking up a point that can again hang up between the safety drum and breech rail. Aw heck, they could have put a 5" aluminum slide on it.

I need to take mine apart and photo it. All I can see is they made a fairly deep cut into the safety drum, installed a lever that presses down on the drop safety/firing pin block. This in turn presses down on the front arm of the sear which releases the hammer but not before the drum blocks the hammer's fall. In order for this to work...it appears the primary hook had to be lowered considerably. As far as I'm concerned that was a good thing. I had been lowering the hook anyway. But, I too wonder what the real reason was. I don't remember reading of any problems. 1917

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Looked at a BJ year model P22 today, 2018 model, it decocked. Looked at a QD, BK year sitting next to it, 2019 and there is no decocker as has been noted before. Whether or not Walther makes a model that still decocks, doesn't look like it. The drum in the BK didn't have the decocker slot either. $239 for the BJ and $250 for the QD. Ruger SR 22 was $369. 1917

·
Registered
1 Posts
New guy here. Talked w/ Walther parts guy today on the phone & thought I would share. I was confused by the part numbers & wanted some clarity before ordering a new P22. I want the FDE model & Bud's shows 3 different ones: 5120753, 5120553, & 5120353. Turns out the first is the newest & "Q" model, second is slightly older & "QD", the third was a very old "Q" model. He said the xxxx7xx are the current models & they are doing away with the QD because of problems with the decocking mechanism. Hope this helps everyone. Got a new FDE & a OD GRN coming Friday !:)

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Welcome Max and thanks for the info. Guess I'm going to have to pull the breech block on my QD for a look at the decocking lever. I'd better do it carefully as apparently this is going to be a very, very rare pistol...In fact....I'll take $1,000 for it right now so someone can be the proud owner of an original QD complete with the decocking lever.

I looked at some of these recently, noticed the lever was no longer in there although the extra cut into the safety drum was still present.

I wonder what the problem was? I noticed mine decocked just like a PP, lever about 1/2 way across the red button. I also noticed that the primary hammer hooks had been lowered considerably. My theory on this is that the safety drum, pivots the decocking lever against the drop safety causing it to be pressed down and engaged the front arm of the sear. This pressed the sear arm down causing the sear to break from the cocked hammer. This occurs at a point where the safety drum has been rotated enough so that it is in position to block the hammer's complete fall. Pretty much PP style.

To make this work, I think they had to substantially lower the height of the primary hooks....which was a good thing in my opinion. No creep. So what were the problems I wonder...timing of the hammer release? The sear not decocking the hammer? The sear not catching reliably on the shortened hooks? The sear being released so low with the new hooks that the secondary hook was catching the falling hammer?

I'm going to pull mine apart for a look. Honestly, I preferred the previous models with no decocker. Seems it will be easy enough to remove the part. I like to be able to cock the hammer on this pistol without the safety lever being set to fire. It's as simple as that. I very, very rarely shoot DA with mine and I like to set the lever to fire as the last action before aiming and firing. 1917

·
Registered
58 Posts
So in the Walther 2019 catalog, they specifically call the P22 the "QD", and specifically say it has a hammer decocker. I'm suspecting the "D" in QD stands for Decocker.

Walther's website right now calls the P22 just the "Q" ... and since the D is dropped out of QD, it seems logical that it also means the Q does not employ the hammer decocker.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts