Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Well alright then, it doesn't matter what I say, if you have already condemned the firearm in your mind, nothing will change that fact. What i would like to know is, is scotty54 the original owner and did it use to function well and stopped functioning. I know mine has a 100,000 serial number and I have had minimal problems with it.
Just sayin
Hey Meho. Many people got burned with early samples that plain didn't work -- or broke -- or couldn't be made to work by Walther.

How many rounds do you have though yours and what kind of problems did it have?

To be honest, I like to hear from people who've had good experiences with the gun. I want to see it work as it's the best feeling, smaller gun out there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well alright then, it doesn't matter what I say, if you have already condemned the firearm in your mind, nothing will change that fact. What i would like to know is, is scotty54 the original owner and did it use to function well and stopped functioning. I know mine has a 100,000 serial number and I have had minimal problems with it.
Just sayin
Hey Meho. Many people got burned with early samples that plain didn't work -- or broke -- or couldn't be made to work by Walther.

How many rounds do you have though yours and what kind of problems did it have?

To be honest, I like to hear from people who've had good experiences with the gun. I want to see it work as it's the best feeling, smaller gun out there.
Jimmo952, i have around 1600 to 1700 rounds though mine, that is not an exaggeration, i purchased my ccp 11 months ago, and between the ccp and a hk vp9sk, i have gone though 3000 rounds. Honestly, I have had 4 or 5 stovepipes, i had 1 trigger return spring break, and 1 striker/firing pin break, thats it. Now, i cant say for sure, but i believe the striker broke from too much dry fire, but i cannot prove that. I would say 1300 of the 1700 rounds were umc remmington 115g fmj and the other 400 were winchester white box 124g nato. Now, other than here, i know of no one else that has a ccp, i guess that why i dont understand, all of these horror stories, cuz i havent had those experiences with mine, and have 100% confidence with it on my hip. I did notice once, that when i used hornady critical defense, with nickle plated casings, that when i went hot on top, and removed the magizine, a round, sometimes two would fall out. I determined that, when the first round goes in, it would drag another to the ramp, then when you drop the mag, it would flip that round out, sometimes two. The hornaday nickle plated steel casings were too hard and too slick, so i just use natural brass ammo, which, the brass casing is softer, and more malleable, so the magizine grips it better. I carry it with 147g jhp winchester silvertip, never had that problem since.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
The Hornady ammo (and not all of it, at that) IS brass, but IS nickel plated. I've never had one issue in any gun with it, but since none of my guns are the CCP...I'm out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hate to mention it but the current CCP M2 works like a charm. I don't bring that up but only to show that if they can fix the problem in the new weapon they certainly know what the problem is in the M1 version. I'd send it back to Walther over an over if I had to to get it fixed.

As it is it is my favorite 9mm automatic. Mine works great (600 rounds without single problem) and it is more accurate and easier to operate than my S&W Shield 9mm by a good bit.

Good luck with your pistol. When you get it fixed I think you will be well pleased.

·
Registered
5 Posts
walther

I too have had troubles with the CCP and I too love that pistol. I have sent it back to Walther three times and they paid for everything each time. Their customer service is great and they even sent me a video the last time shooting my gun to show they had no failures. It is hard to beat that. Is the gun as good as others I own ( that cost a lot more ) NO, but for a $350 gun does anyone need to remind me that you most likely get what you pay for ? It is also a great and straight shooting pistol but I think the blow back system runs very dirty ! For a carry gun I think it will cycle the normal three or four rounds needed ( unless you are John Wick ) !Regards, JZ

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put another 8 mags through mine today- 124g Blazer and 147 Federal HST. 5 different magazines- ZERO malfunctions.
It makes me sad that others are having such problems with theirs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The real shame of the CCP models is that buyers had enough problems with the first one that interest in these guns, even the new CCP M2, is way down in sales I think. Even I waited for months and watched all of the reviews to make sure the CCP M2 was reliable before I jumped in. Other potential buyers have probably moved on to another pistol.

Lots of guns have had runs where a certain number of them just won't work. No matter what you do. I've seen countless reviewers and owner who had little or no problems their CCP and then I've also seen owners with CCP's that they've tried everything to fix but with little or no success.

I don't mean to rub salt in anyone's wounds but I must say that the CCP M2 is a wonderful pistol. Hopefully someone can figure out how to fix the original CCP and everybody can live happily with whatever model they have.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I don't mean to rub salt in anyone's wounds but I must say that the CCP M2 is a wonderful pistol. Hopefully someone can figure out how to fix the original CCP and everybody can live happily with whatever model they have.
Walther's fix was the M2 although some experienced issues with it as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, I am the original owner. I had problems right from the start, but briefly it had a reliable period when I began using Winchester T and D ammo. When I started having problems again I tried another ammo, PMC. So many fails I put the thing away. I am going to let Ft. Smith have another go at it, but I honestly don't expect anything from it. Hoping for a solution, but skeptical.

And, if anyone wants to link the problems to PMC ammo - it shoots perfectly in every other 9mm I own. Actually, I have never had problems with any ammo in any other 9mm, ever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, I am the original owner. I had problems right from the start, but briefly it had a reliable period when I began using Winchester T and D ammo. When I started having problems again I tried another ammo, PMC. So many fails I put the thing away. I am going to let Ft. Smith have another go at it, but I honestly don't expect anything from it. Hoping for a solution, but skeptical.

And, if anyone wants to link the problems to PMC ammo - it shoots perfectly in every other 9mm I own. Actually, I have never had problems with any ammo in any other 9mm, ever.
If you send it back you should send them a video of it failing when you are shooting it. Send numerous short clips from different shooting sessions if can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm going to skip quoting to save space.

The CCP is to the P7 what a Trabant is to a BMW or Mercedes at their peak. I also have a P7 and other than having to clean the piston every 250-500 rounds (depending on what gets shot), it's a freaking tank. Nigh unstoppable, accurate as can be, great trigger, easy to shoot fast, safe as can be, automatic where it needs to be, manual where it needs to be... just thoroughly thought out.

The CCP, as far as I can tell, was designed by interns. They were reasonably intelligent and given the task of designing a pistol with certain characteristics and a blank paper. The overall design works (on paper and often in practice) and I see their logic in everything they did but sometimes wisdom comes with experience. Sometimes there are good reasons behind conventions and common ways of doing things, beyond just "following tradition" or out of laziness. Things like the striker not being cocked until the last 1/8" of slide travel and therefore being able to strip a round from the mag without cocking the striker is just an amateur oversight (that I've never seen in another gun made in the last 125 years... if anyone does find such a case, let me know).

Then the bean-counters got a hold of it.

As for the original question... "Has the MAIN problem with the CCP been identified?" The main problem is what I stated above. At this point, there's no way to fix it short of a time machine. However the failures we see and complain about are symptoms of several issues which are symptoms of my above comment.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It would seem sometimes it is the shooter and sometimes it may be the gun.
Boy is that true. The CCP has an unusual action and is of uncommon design. It can be a PIA to field strip and reassemble until you become practiced and careful. The CCP M2s may be easier. Here's my take on the pistol.

The gas delayed blowback works best with either no lubrication or dry lubrication. I use Elmer's Slide-All or similar dry Teflon/PTFE lube in ALL the hot spots but especially the gas piston and cylinder, and also in the bore, chamber, and firing pin channel. I totally avoid using fluid lube in those places. Fluid is a crud magnet and accumulated crud alone can slow the action down to the point of failures to extract, eject, and load. Limp wristing can make it worse. And heat buildup is faster. I learned this over the years on my several HK P7s. Light CLP on other metal surfaces.

Secondly, the CCP has no rails, it relies on the barrel, locking plate, and to some degree the gas piston and cylinder to keep the action aligned during firing. Clearance is tight between the fixed barrel and moving slide. For these reasons, it takes the pistol some firing for it to get used to itself. Consequently, it's useful to break in the CCP with heavier projectiles. I use 124 gr but some folks use 135 gr or 147 gr until performance levels out reliably.

After that, lighter weight projectiles may prove satisfactory but I just stick with 124s. Except for the drop safety recall mine has worked just fine. The CCP has a different manual of arms than most familiar semiautos and can be or seem to be quirky. I have no reservations about reliability for carry and have had zero problems (except fumble-fingered strip and reassembly). If Were to get a second, it would probably be the CCP M2.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Well alright then, it doesn't matter what I say, if you have already condemned the firearm in your mind, nothing will change that fact......

The way most view the CCP problems, reality condemned the firearm.

The fact that we "stored" that reality info in our minds, does not make the CCP issues a product of our minds.

You have Umarex to thank for that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been away for a while and just became a member at a local range. They had a CCP for sale, so I figured I'd check back to see if the CCP situation had improved...and it appears it hasn't. I really wonder why Walther hasn't put a fork in it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The problem is, people keep saying there is a problem, there might have been some issues with early production CCP's, but not any more.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The problem is, people keep saying there is a problem, there might have been some issues with early production CCP's, but not any more.

This could well be the case, but the masses moved on.

Releasing a product before the development process has been completed leads to an inevitable reality, the item is forever condemned due to the issues of the 1.0 version.

Bean counters are too busy counting beans to notice this. The correct LEADERSHIP is required to ensure sufficient time/funds are dedicated to development PRE PRODUCT RELEASE.

I'm willing to bet Umarex will do it again too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Umarex has owned walther since 1993, no one is complaining about any other model that is manufactured under umarex umbrella, like the ppq or the q5 or any other model. The ccp has almost an identical design to the hk p7, no one complaining about that. I dont believe umarex is to blame, but I guess the buck stops with them, I would be more willing the blame quality control in germany first. I have not had any issue with mine, so I cant say the design is at fault.
Just my humble opinion

21 - 40 of 49 Posts