Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what hundreds of others have - a CCP that is so unreliable it sits in a desk drawer unused.

Has any cause been identified? I realize there may be more than one, but I would like to find a gunsmith willing to take a crack at fixing mine. I have given up on Walther's customer (no) service.

With any other handgun I would probably just cut my losses and to sell it as scrap, but I really enjoy shooting this gun. It is my favorite as far as ergo and balance. My love-hate relationship!

·
Registered
84 Posts
It would seem sometimes it is the shooter and sometimes it may be the gun.

I bought my CCP M1 for $100 because the original owner said it "does not cycle reliably. Consistent Fail to eject/Fail to feed issue. Not reliable. Stated he was not limp wristing"

I took the chance. I field stripped it. Did a through cleaning and lube, including the magazines.
Assembled leaving the gas tube dry.

To date I have put 200 rounds of Federal Champion 115 gr. brass ammo with only 1 problem:

1 fail to feed jam, nose dived round, 2nd round of 2nd mag. First range trip after purchase and cleaning. Myself shooting.

Strange how 2 different shooters can have 2 very different results.

Reactions: 5Wire

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Has any cause been identified?

Yes. It's the three letters on the slide. "CCP"

It's actually an acronym, Cheap, Crappy Pistol.

There's just as many good reports as there are bad. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one, provided I can have the time to fire a few hundred rounds before I fill out the 4473 and make it permanent.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hmmmm I have about 1700 rounds through mine, with 4 or 5 FTE ie....stovepipe. I see no problem with that. Was probably more my fault than the guns, it all happened so fast, i couldn't tell for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize some folks have had fewer problems, and I also understand that handling can effect a handgun's accuracy and reliability. I am a professionally trained and experienced shooter. I own six other handguns of various brands (Ruger, Taurus, Sig, S&W) and I TRUST all of them in a life or death situation.

However . . .

My CCP is flawed and so are hundreds of others I have tried everything, including a trip back to the factory. I am not alone in this.

What I was looking for from you folks - has anyone identified particular physical flaws or defects that can be addressed independently?

Like I said before, I want to FIX it, not just gripe about it.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
What I was looking for from you folks - has anyone identified particular physical flaws or defects that can be addressed independently?

It would help if you specified the model and your issues first. Then perhaps we could provide some assistance. That said, in general virtually all issues discovered and reported in 1917's sticky (see link below) required sending the pistol to Ft Smith.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ccp/40094-ccp-problems-issues-running-thread.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That link was a big help. Thanks!

My CCP is an M1, the constant problem is FTE.

I thought I had the problem solved a while ago when it shot Winchester Train ammo with a far less FTE than normal (normal is 30% - no kidding). But now it won't even shoot that. I clean it after each trip to the range, and I am thorough.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have no idea whether FTE means a Failure to Eject, or Extract, the acronym for a sexual disorder, or some type of carcinogenic plastic. But I know this --from experience-- that diagnosis precedes the remedy, and will tell you if it's even curable (though my guess is that it's not-- in which case trying to insist on satisfaction from a so-called "Legendary" Lifetime Warranty is a gross waste of time and effort).

In my opinion, it's a flawed design, poorly executed.

M

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I would like to find a gunsmith willing to take a crack at fixing mine.

I would probably just cut my losses and to sell it as scrap.
I don't think there is a gunsmith that can fix it. All of the problems seem to be rearward of the trigger. This pistol has been discussed muzzle to mag. Some of the pistols were never made reliable nor replaced..they sit in safes. I would never consider one for self defense....but I do like projects like this for fooling around with.

Is there another pistol anywhere that has no rails and depends on the striker/striker channel to guide the rear movement/alignment of the slide? $51 offer for one still stands. ;) 1917

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
With any other handgun I would probably just cut my losses and to sell it as scrap, but I really enjoy shooting this gun. It is my favorite as far as ergo and balance. My love-hate relationship!
If you are seriously considering selling your CCP please sell it to 1917. He has been after one like you describe for 5 years......and I know he's good for the $50!:D

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
And whatever you do....don't sell one to I'maOldFart....he may offer a dollar more but word has it he prints some of his money...and can't shoot straight either. :p 1917

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The "MAIN" problem seems to be conceptual: an idea that the H&K P7 could be duplicated on the cheap, using Umarex blank-firing pistol modes of construction. It was misbegotten from Day One: the first examples appeared with mislocated ejector slots in the slide and ragged holes cut through the wall of the striker channel. Those slides should have been rejected and scrapped, but instead these guns were spilled onto the market-- stark evidence of ZERO quality control, final inspection, or management concern. What a confidence builder...

The only thing they seem to have gotten right was the shape of the plastic grip frame.
It might have been useful if they'd put a different pistol inside it.

M

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
The only thing they seem to have gotten right was the shape of the plastic grip frame.
It might have been useful if they'd put a different pistol inside it.

M
A lot of truth in this post. Harsh truth but truth nonetheless.

It's the bit I quoted that I find maddening. The form factor and grip frame are so well done.

It is a defensive pistol though and so reliability is paramount. It's a defensive pistol though and so the ability to practice with it without it falling apart is important.

I grimace when I hear stuff like "once I found ammo it liked, I was able to get through two hundred rounds with only a couple failures". That's nothing to be proud of. For a "fun" gun that's fine but for a gun you are betting your life on and one that may have to be used in less than perfect conditions I'd still pass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would have never compared the P7 to the CCP - interesting. That's a pistol I know little about, so I just read a few reviews.

Thanks for all the opinions and info about the CCP - I have been in touch again with Ft. Smith which seems like my only option, other than having a local gunsmith tackle it, but at this point I don't think spending more money will yield results.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know that you said, that you have failure to eject 30% of the time, is this the only problem that you need addressed or are there more. I know that a failure to feed problem could be a broken striker pin, it stays protruding out of the slide, and when the next round gets ramped up, the little nub sticking out, prevents the round from moving up into position.
As far as failure to eject or extract, you would have to look real close at the extractor, the extractor spring and bolt, and the ejector itself. The 9mm round has plenty of pressure to achieve all of this, but if the extractor is slipping off of the spent casing before it hits the ejector, and flipping it out, then a wore extractor part or even a part that was never within spec could be the cause. You could buy these extractor parts, they are pretty easy to change, and see if that takes care of the issue.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I know that you said, that you have failure to eject 30% of the time, is this the only problem that you need addressed or are there more. I know that a failure to feed problem could be a broken striker pin, it stays protruding out of the slide, and when the next round gets ramped up, the little nub sticking out, prevents the round from moving up into position.
As far as failure to eject or extract, you would have to look real close at the extractor, the extractor spring and bolt, and the ejector itself. The 9mm round has plenty of pressure to achieve all of this, but if the extractor is slipping off of the spent casing before it hits the ejector, and flipping it out, then a wore extractor part or even a part that was never within spec could be the cause. You could buy these extractor parts, they are pretty easy to change, and see if that takes care of the issue.
Meho, we have discussed all of these issues in great detail. Some pistols work....many don't. A 9mm round might generate plenty of recoil energy in most firearms but this one has a piston that delays and reduces that recoil energy. That has always seemed a bit of a difficult engineering challenge to me. Not that the concept might not work. The original pistol had four rings on the piston. That got cut to two rings if I remember correctly. Adding to the complexity concerning function....a buildup of dirt on the piston, dirt in the piston chamber, fouling of the gas port, wear of the port, then 115 gr rounds vs 124 gr vs 148 gr, etc. This seems like a tricky bit of engineering to solve.

Then things like mags dropping out of the pistol while firing, misfeeds, the striker not getting caught with no indication that you don't have a cocked striker, safety falling out, firing pin block falling out, slide spring being jammed inside the striker cup, trigger spring breaking, striker spring breaking, striker slamming into the primer of a chambered live round when it is not caught on a short stroke, sheared off counter plates, a recall for something, broken strikers including the shearing off of the striker hook.....yep, the pistol looks good and feels so good in the hand. But I sure couldn't trust one for self defense. This is far more complex than an issue with the extractor/ejector.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the layout of the whole striker design. It's not like Walther can't make a proper, fully functional and reliable striker system. Why are there no rails to guide the rear of the slide? The striker assembly running in the striker channel is responsible for that job...and it doesn't seem like a good way to accomplish it. But what do I know? 1917

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
"but this one has a piston that neutralizes that recoil energy. That has always seemed a bit of a problematic portion of the pistol to me"

This wasn't an issue for the Heckler & Koch P7. Search HK P7 issues. The P7 runs 100%, even with the extractor REMOVED!

This soft recoil piston design works, when NOT designed/produced to an "entry level" price point.

My sons and I ran over 300 rds thru my HK P7 M13 last week in Florida, flawless.

Both of my sons have a new "favorite" pistol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well alright then, it doesn't matter what I say, if you have already condemned the firearm in your mind, nothing will change that fact. What i would like to know is, is scotty54 the original owner and did it use to function well and stopped functioning. I know mine has a 100,000 serial number and I have had minimal problems with it.
Just sayin

1 - 20 of 49 Posts