Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know some time ago they made a makarov barrel for this chambering. Has anyone done a 32 NAA ppk or pp yet?

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Not aware North American made any such thing. They did have a blowback .32 that had nothing in common with a PPK.
Do you know of something else?
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not aware North American made any such thing. They did have a blowback .32 that had nothing in common with a PPK.
Do you know of something else?
Moon
It's a 380 necked down to 32. A bottlenecked cartridge. North American makes or made a pistol to shoot it. I've seen posts about Makarov barrels in 32NAA floating around.

Not sure if it ever caught on.

I quick look at the Natchezss site shows they have ammo available by Hornady.

I guess my question is what does it offer over the 380 parent cartridge? Does it demonstrably perform better in ballistic gel or tissue?

Perhaps the bottlenecked profile would be a more reliable "feeder" in guns like the Walther???

I get it can be fun to play with and reload for boutique cartridges but there is also a PITA factor.

Does this cartridge bring enough to the table to justify that PITA???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically, more power than a .380 with less recoil so i gather, and being able to adapt any 380 ppk to fire it with a barrel change. So im wondering if anyone has attempted this or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
So the barrel itself is NAA's doing, and the rounds fit in the .380 magazine? Sounds interesting, and a lot of monkeymotion.
I seem to remember Mak conversion barrels for Glock barrels; something similar for the bottleneck round? The Glock barrel is a bunch easier to change as well.

Moon

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the barrel itself is NAA's doing, and the rounds fit in the .380 magazine? Sounds interesting, and a lot of monkeymotion.
I seem to remember Mak conversion barrels for Glock barrels; something similar for the bottleneck round? The Glock barrel is a bunch easier to change as well.

Moon
yeah the round would fit in the 380 mags no problems. The barrel would have to be done by a custom smith. Other than that, should be GTG. i couldnt find many results for anyone trying this on a PP or PPK and im a little surprised. Only corbon and hornady make the round.

so basically, just a barrel swap with a custom made barrel. No other alterations should be needed save maybe adjustment with different recoil springs.

sure one could try it with a glock 380 or something but.. not really as fun or interesting.. and if it beefs up a ppk while making it easier to shoot and maybe more reliable well whats not to love about that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would presume all that would be needed is a standard 32 barrel which could have the chamber reamed to the appropriate dimensions? The slide would have to be set up to accommodate the 380 case head.

Sounds simple enough? The devil is in the details though.

I’m just starting to play with something similar, a N-frame S&W Model 27 revolver in 357 Magnum which has been rechambered for 357/44 Bain & Davis, a Wildcat made by necking down 44 Magnum cases to accept 357 bullets. It adds about 400 FPS worth of zip to bullets of a given weight compared to the 357 Magnum velocities. Picking the gun up in the next few days.....

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Changing barrels on a PP series is anything but a simple operation.
That said the best way to go about this would be to start with a .380 pistol and do a barrel swap. No mucking about with different case head size issues that way.

But it must be asked, what are you really gaining? A faster .32 that will be no better at self defense than either a .380 or 7.65 Browning.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Changing barrels on a PP series is anything but a simple operation.
That said the best way to go about this would be to start with a .380 pistol and do a barrel swap. No mucking about with different case head size issues that way.

But it must be asked, what are you really gaining? A faster .32 that will be no better at self defense than either a .380 or 7.65 Browning.

Exactly! I think this is why the concept fizzled. It became apparent the round, despite the early promises, offered little to no advantage over a good .380acp round...and the .380acp was already established...and available.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
I would presume all that would be needed is a standard 32 barrel which could have the chamber reamed to the appropriate dimensions? The slide would have to be set up to accommodate the 380 case head.

Sounds simple enough? The devil is in the details though.

I’m just starting to play with something similar, a N-frame S&W Model 27 revolver in 357 Magnum which has been rechambered for 357/44 Bain & Davis, a Wildcat made by necking down 44 Magnum cases to accept 357 bullets. It adds about 400 FPS worth of zip to bullets of a given weight compared to the 357 Magnum velocities. Picking the gun up in the next few days.....
"The devil is in the details" indeed; truer words never spoken. The barrel change alone is challenging. The Glock would be far easier, and likely more forgiving of differences in the change. And if you didn't like the result, just reverse the swap.

Mike, let us know how your new baby works. I have heard of setback issues in bottleneck revolver rounds. It sounds a formidable round.
Moon
ETA-anyone else having trouble deleting in quoted messages?
M

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Go the P5 "necked" cartridge route, no fuss at all.
I grabbed a NIB 7.65para(30Luger)/9para twin barrel P5 package for the safe, then another 30Luger barrel for "swapping" onto my "shooter" P5 frame. I also swap my Lang slide/barrel onto this same frame. Yes, I get some looks from the ROs at a few ranges.

30 Luger ammo is available.

Attachments

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Over the last 50 years years how many "new" cartridges can you name that received glowing reviews in the magazines only to meet with popular indifference because they weren't any better than what was already available? This isn't meant to polk fun at wildcatters or the curious but what is gained by reinventing the wheel?

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
That, and bottlenecked cartridges are harder to reload than cylinder section, so you end up buying them. And because they aren't big sellers, they tend to be expensive.
I've been meaning to post about this round over at Glock Talk.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Okay, inquired about the .32 NAA over on Glock Talk. Bad reviews; to achieve the really astounding (1200'sec) velocities required a longer-than-pocket-pistol barrel.
No one was aware of a source of Glock barrels in the caliber.
Sorry, gang, no easy way to turn a pocket rocket into a bazooka.

Better have a look at a P365.

Moon

Reactions: Jimmo952
1 - 15 of 15 Posts