Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a walther PPKS that has no markings on the gun at all not on the frame, barrel or slide. However, there is a number stamped on the front strap. Has anyone ever seen a gun like that?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
This sometimes happens when a gun gets aggresively stripped down and then reblued, though it would be unusual to have all of the markings removed. Joe Salter DownEast Antiques is advertising one right now, a PP war model, that you might want to look at for comparison's sake. The asking price reflects the gun's damaged condition. Here's a link:

http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=4061

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't understand this gun is in good condition. I've put it with other walther PPKS side by side and checked it pretty closely. There's no trace of any letters, numbers on the gun. As you know, PPKs are full of stamps on their guns.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
a good clear pic sure would help
also you might want to post this on the P38 Forum.... ask for Mr. Marschall's input

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
On the Euro made PPKS (as well as the PPK & PPK) all the the markings are very shallow and could be polished away with a little effort. The result can look acceptable or horrible depending on the skill of the polisher.

While the slide etching is often removed in a reblue, it would take more effort to remove the serial number. Prehaps the refinisher replaced it on the frontstrap - it may have been easier to place it there as the frame is easily bent when a hammer is applied with enough gusto to stamp in a number.

Pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please have some patience with me guys. I haven't been able to take good pitures with my camera, I am going to get some pictures posted as soon as I can. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, I took a few pictures of my PPKS and they are on my hard drive but I can't figure out how to transfer them to the thread. Can someone please help me out with the how-to's?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
send them to me .. I will post them...

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I have a walther PPKS that has no markings on the gun at all not on the frame, barrel or slide. However, there is a number stamped on the front strap. Has anyone ever seen a gun like that?
The East Germans made Walthers without markings so I guess that's a possibility. GI's built whatever they could assemble out of captured parts at the end of WWII. Interarms wasn't the first to think of putting a PPK slide on a PP... :)

Bet it's a reblue though... ;)

Milspec

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Go to www.photobucket.com and set up a free account.

upload your pictures by using their browse function.

Then start a new post, have photobuckut up in another window.

copy the bottom address under your pic on PB and paste it to your post.

Submit post and, walla!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

for me it seems that the slide was cut down heavily. Please compare your pic from the left side of the slide with the one I've attached here. I've marked the relevant areas and it should be clear what I mean without further explanations. That's how a untreated slide must look like.
I recently got a similar gun with exactly the same issue and send it back to the seller. He apologized for sending me such a trash and had to admit that I'm right.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Weird

Hi,

for me it seems that the slide was cut down heavily. Please compare your pic from the left side of the slide with the one I've attached here. I've marked the relevant areas and it should be clear what I mean without further explanations. That's how a untreated slide must look like.
I recently got a similar gun with exactly the same issue and send it back to the seller. He apologized for sending me such a trash and had to admit that I'm right.

It does look like an untreated slide...plus it has an ATF reference number. Short of melting it into a pile of slag and pretending I'd never seen the thing I'd send the numbers on the frame to the ATF and ask them to look it up. I'm guessing it's a lunch box gun...but it could be something else...hope that was helpful... :)

Milspec

·
Registered
24 Posts
... just realized that you're talking about a PPK/S so it's probably not valid to compare these two pics. However, it could be helpful to identifiy a re-worked gun for other forum members, though. ;-)

Another way to identify an abraved slide is if you have a closer look from the top of the gun to the side of the slide. If the slide isn't absolutety plain, this could be another indicator for a rework.

Sorry again ...

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My assessment is that it's a "lunchbox" gun assembled from Interarms parts that was later recovered and given an assigned s/n by BATF.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Whatever went on it is clear that this was a relatively "good" polish job, all the flats look flat, so as Mike points out it may be a "lunchpail" special or a deliberate attempt to remove the original numbers and letters.

At some point a not so clever fellow with loose stamps put that "ATF" number on the front strap. I have seen other ATF numbers applied to firearms with an electric pencil, so the stamping may be OK.

On the whole its not something I would worry about too deeply. "Be careful what you look for - you may not like what you find!"

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
On second look I would say this was an American made pistol, the large "bulge" surrounding the muzzle was typical of the American made PPK/S, also on second review.... the slide has been ground down. That doesn't look like a "lunchpail" piece.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
On second look I would say this was an American made pistol, the large "bulge" surrounding the muzzle was typical of the American made PPK/S, also on second review.... the slide has been ground down. That doesn't look like a "lunchpail" piece.
I don't know...usually when folks grind the sides of the slide they flatten the pointy things you grab to pull the slide back. I'm just using a PDA but they look pretty sharp to me. Besides, it's most likely a secret CIA contract pistol sanatized for use by James Bond's counterpart. I think his name is Felix or something like that... :D

Whatever...it certainly is an interesting piece... :)

Milspec

1 - 20 of 24 Posts