Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question I have on my mind here, has anyone ever fired Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator .380 ACP ammo out of their PPK? If so, how did it feed?

I plan on getting a PPK/S in .380 ACP later this year as my CCW, and from what I've read, the best .380 ammo is Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator. Problem is, the PP Series pistols are older designed guns which as I've read can be finicky with ammo, particularly hollow points, and Lehigh XP is modern ammo of a unique design, (it's FMJ, but it has an odd, cross-shaped, flat-nosed tip with channels extending down the length of the bullet sort of like a segmented hollow point) so I'm wondering if a PPK can fire one.

So has anyone tried firing Lehigh XP out of their PPK, and if so, how well did it perform? (For reference, I'd also like to know the manufacturer of the PPK you fired it from as a point of reference.)

·
Super Moderator
7,601 Posts
The only way to be certain of what will run in your gun is to run some in your gun. It isn't possible to turn a .380 into a bazooka (or a .45) by running the right ammo.
The trick with .380s is that they aren't powerful enough to expand a lot and penetrate.
Speer Gold Dots have a good rep for penetrating and some expansion.
I don't know if they will run in your Walther.
Moon

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aware, just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Lehigh XP isn't hollow point, it's like a sort of hybrid between JHP and FMJ. From what I've read and seen in test videos with ballistic gel, it works extremely well, and many swear by it, so if I'm going to carry a .380, I may as well go for the best.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mine loaded with Buffalo Bore JHP not my normal carry. But box was cheap on sale and bought for my P380 KT . One mag and no way from KT . so tried in my PPK/s They worked fine with weight of pistol . Now I got top of mag loader with whats left and bottom of mag with my Corbon DPX When weather clears and I can shoot outside I will finish them off .

·
Super Moderator
7,601 Posts
The PP series can be 'ammo selective'.....I would hesitate to carry any load that I hadn't test hopped extensively, and in particular I'd avoid any +P or nonstandard load.
Other than a solid reputation, one of the reasons I stick with the Gold Dots is that they have been test hopped in anything I'm apt to carry.
Moon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.