Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who you used, the type of finish, and how you like. I'd be concerned in the case of the P99 that unless they had knowledge of the gun, they wouldn't know how to dismantle the internal slide parts. I can just see them looking at the rear sight and saying to themslef, "What the heck is this and what is that little plunger gizmo that goes up and down?" Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Photos are always good.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Yes, P99, P99c and the SW99 I prev owned.

I now know how to completely disassemble the slide thanks to JEnglish's videos. But when I had these 3 done - I just removed the front sight and sent it in (By leaving the rear sight on, they hard chromed the pin that holds it on).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wreckster, would you be so kind when you have a chance, to post a pic?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
HAhaha - I get razzed for posting the pics all the time actually - they are all over the forum...

But, here ya go:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! Would you describe the your hard chrome as matte or shiny? Done by Tripp? Do they give you a choice? I had Tripp Cobra Coat a gun of mine a while back - polymer black finish and was not too happy. The finish didn't wear well but I know that hard chrome is far superior in terms of hardness and "wearability."

I have had several guns NP3'd by Robar and have been very happy with the results. NP3 is a matte gray Teflon/Nickel finish with outstanding lubricity.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's an XD45 compact done in NP3. For now though I think I will keep my P99c in basic black. When the finish really starts to look bad, I guess I'll have to make a decision.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
They were all done by Tripp - I asked for a "matte" hard chrome - I didn't want it shiney.

The extractor and the decocker on the P99s were all covered in his black polymer.

The hard chrome wears extremely wear - after 2 years on my P99c which I carry everyday - NO holster wear.

But, Tripp also messed up the finish on a 1911 a couple of years back. And, even after giving him a 2nd chance to fix it, I wasn't happy. His quality control is spotty. And, on that 1911 - that black polymer coating was terrible - even after 2 tries.

Be aware that all polymer coatings don't wear that great - so if U wanna carry a gun, hard chrome will be the most wear proof - even over NP3.

I can't really recommend Tripp after my experiences, though. I've never tried these guys, but have heard good things. If I ever hard chrome something again, I think I'll try one of these two...

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/
http://www.fordsguns.com/

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wreckster, you echo my experience to the T as far as Tripp. However, I think there are black polymer coatings that do wear better than Cobra Coat, at least from my experience, Robar's Rogard being one. I am much happier with Rogard than I was with Cobra Coat. And yes for maximum wearability, nothing compares to hard chrome. Your guns by the way look great! Enjoy them. And thanks again for posting the pics. Much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
theres a gunsmith around the corner from me that does POWDER COATING on guns...
i saw a kid...er... guy at the gunshop the other day that had a XD with a black powdercoated slide...
i gotta say it looked pretty damm good...
sorta shiney like the new Glock slide flinish, but not really bad...
it was smooth to the touch..... never nice...
My first gen p99 is starting to get more GREY than black..... ive thought about getting it powder coated

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts