Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do some sort of slide refinishing on my Walther P99 compact. After just 1 month, it shows a lot of holster wear. I was going to do a polymer coating, and asked for suggestions. Someone told me Tripp research also does polymer coatings, so I called them today. I got the price, but was told that the only finish that will stand up to holster wear is hard chrome.

I previously wanted to do hard chrome on my slide, but was told that the finish did not stand up to sweat very well. Back in 1999, I had a 1911 hard chromed, and someone on a gun talk website posted pics of their 1911 hard chromed gun - they used it in a competition on a hot day, and did not clean it that day. The next day, all the chrome pealed away around the grip due to the guy's salt in his sweat. Therefore, I was under the assumption that while it is scratch resistant, it is not very sweat resistant. Is this true?

The people at Tripp research said that this should not happen, and that I should not have tow orry about oilingt the gun down on a hot summer day at all, due to the hard chrome finish. I bought a gun w/ a tennifer finish for that very purpose - so I don't have to worry about rust. Unfortunately, the outer coloring on the slide is not as durable as a Glock.

Comments?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The "finish" on your gun is what is wearing off, not the tennifer.  The tennifer is under the black finish and is bonded with the metal.  The holster wear you describe is sadly what happens to guns when they are used.  The wearing of the black will not affect the anti-rust properties of the tennifer coating underneath.  The glock is the same way, the tennifer is underneath the black.  If I'm not mistaken, I think tennifer leaves a medium gray coloring on metal it's applied to.

Take heart in the fact that you don't have a "safe queen" and you actually put your P99c to work.  Those wear spots are the marks of a seasoned tool, and I think your gun wears them proudly.

Also, I think I speak for all of us when I ask to see PICTURES!  
 Show us that holster wear!

-stunks

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am well aware that the tennifer is actually underneath. And, since it is a carry gun, I know it will have some wear. But, I am very disappointed with the finish after 1 month.

I carried a Glock 26 for 8 years. It eventually showed wear, and I had Glock reblacken the slide for $45 after 7 years. But, the "black" coating on the Glock takes a lot longer to show the wear.

I think I will NP3 the slide, and leave all the other parts black. They seem to have the best finish.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well I was going to post a tread concerning P99 finish but you beat me to it...sorry to hear about your compact. Pics would really help. One month and you are disappointed? I wonder if this is a common problem. I just purchased a compact and have had it for a month. I carry it with me and use it for USPSA too but I have not had any problems so far. Granted, I don't carry it in my holster every day but when I do it is either in a lined Galco or a plastic Fobus. So far so good. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem you describe?

·
Registered
189 Posts
ShipWreck,
For what it's worth, here is a picture I saved off of a post from another forum while looking into the same thing (to hard chrome a P99 or not.) This person had a Glock for sale that was hard chromed by Tripp.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am using a Bianchi lined leather holster. I previously had a Galco FLETCH - it wore on my Glock 26. The very front of the slide has several brown colored marks from the leather. They also won't come off. It's basically several brown wave lines on the front portion of the slide. It's rather irritating. It started after just 2 weeks actually.

I carry it almost everyday when not at work. So, I pull it in and out of the holster 2x a day.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mambro @ Nov. 16 2005,12:44)]ShipWreck,
For what it's worth, here is a picture I saved off of a post from another forum while looking into the same thing (to hard chrome a P99 or not.) This person had a Glock for sale that was hard chromed by Tripp.

That's a nice pic. I prev had a 1911 hard chromed by Springfield around 1999 or 2000.

I think I will go with NP3. I did some reading on it online, and I also called them. It's $95 - $15 more - for just the slide. I plan to keep all the other parts black.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I am using a Bianchi lined leather holster
Leather or suede? I have shot Cowboy Action for 20yrs and have all kinds of leather holsters. Sometimes the tanning process on certain leather will cause markings on your guns due to a chemical reaction...Just leave some pistol or rifle ammo in a leather cartridge belt for a while and watch how the brass turns green, oxidation and moisture...More a problem with the leather than with the finish on your firearm. Similar to the way some P99's frames warped, a bad batch of polymer...That being said,I would not recommend a smooth leather lined holster or the unlined for this reason. Suede is okay.  Maybe your problem is more than just your gun's finish. It may not solve your current problem but it may help you in the future. Seems odd to me that two guns with noted tough finishes, the Glock and Walther, both had problems with your leather holster...I maybe missing something but it is a thought...IMHO

·
Registered
51 Posts
ShipWreck,

If you think the Walther's coating is weak, you should check out the standard finish on SIG's carbon-steel models! Great pistols, but the finish is very thin and prone to rust in humid environments. Seriously, I had Brad at CCR refinish my P228 in GunKote black. It's similar to the Beretta Bruniton. I like it and it's held up very well over the past few months (even on the barrel hood where the lockup occurs). See the pics below:

ciadst

·
Registered
51 Posts
I forgot to mention that prior to refinishing many of the small parts on the SIG had turned a purplish color. This is also common with HK pistols. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why this happens after just a few months. I'm guessing that it's simply very thin anodizing that wears (photobleaches?) away.

ciadst

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Nov. 16 2005,14:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I am using a Bianchi lined leather holster
Leather or suede? I have shot Cowboy Action for 20yrs and have all kinds of leather holsters. Sometimes the tanning process on certain leather will cause markings on your guns due to a chemical reaction...Just leave some pistol or rifle ammo in a leather cartridge belt for a while and watch how the brass turns green, oxidation and moisture...More a problem with the leather than with the finish on your firearm. Similar to the way some P99's frames warped, a bad batch of polymer...That being said,I would not recommend a smooth leather lined holster or the unlined for this reason. Suede is okay. Maybe your problem is more than just your gun's finish. It may not solve your current problem but it may help you in the future. Seems odd to me that two guns with noted tough finishes, the Glock and Walther, both had problems with your leather holster...I maybe missing something but it is a thought...IMHO
It is a Biachi 7L holster - I paid a few dollars extra for the suede lines holster.

The Glock that I discussed before had wear using a Galco FLETCH. All Glocks will eventually wear. Remember, I carried that set up for 7 years before getting the Glock refinished. After getting the slide reblackened, I carried it for almost 8 months before I sold it, and there was no noticble wear.

I had a 1911 years ago that I carried in a Galco FLETCH. It too got small brown marks from the leather on the bead blasted portion of the slide.

It looks like I took a brown pencil color and made little marks on the left side of the frame. Except, they don't come off. But, I do not believe it is the holster. The slide has a few tiny scratches here and there, not caused from the holster. I find that the black plastic polymer frame scratches very easily (i can scratch that w/ just my finger nail), and the black coating on the slide can be easily scratched in other ys too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts