Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my compact P99 slide in to be hard chromed today - I will post pics when I get it back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Dec. 29 2005,12:57)]Sent my compact P99 slide in to be hard chromed today - I will post pics when I get it back.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you send it off to? I will definitely be looking forward to seeing pics of it...

I love the way Earl's Repair Service's chrome slide looks...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went w/ Tripp Research. Earl's charges over $200, if I remember correctly. Tripp costs $80 - and he has a very high reputation - I read dozens of good comments about Tripp Research every month.

I am getting it done in a matte finish, though. I don't want it shiney like that pic. Mine should look similiar to the titanium coated Walthers. I am doing this because of holster wear on the gun, and with this matte hard chroming, I should not have to worry about that anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does this void the warrenty? My P99 is pretty new and I am already seeing holster wear.

Any problems putting this in a ionic cleaner?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it would void the warranty. Tons of people refinish guns. Can't answer it definetly. It shouldn't, if the problem U would have in the future isn't related to the finish.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THis thread is like 2 years old

I have posted tons of pics since then - but here they are again :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey ship, does any of ur coatings have problems such as chipping? Maybe where the slide release catches? I'm kinda interested in this but would hate to have it done and it chipping off.....

Is it at all more difficult to rack the slide considering the....serrated(?) parts of the slide is coated? How about problems with the barrel chaffing against the inside of the slide in various places? Does the decocked still move "freely" when activated?

I ask all of these question becuase since its coated, doesn't that mean there is a thin layer of material there now that was not there before? And being that the p99s fit and finish is pretty clean and snug, it would only lead me to think an extra coating would interfere with its designed actions and would rub/chaff against many existing parts, including the little metal tabs on the frame that the slide runs on. Please enlighten me with your overwhelming experience with this coating. They all look good by the way.

And while I'm at it, how durable are these coatings? Scuffs, scratches, chips? And how difficult is it to maintain these finishes to keep them looking new?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both the fullsize and compact P99s have has no issues with the hard chroming - no chipping at all. And, the hard chrome finish is about as holster wear proof as U can get. I am very pleased with the hard chrome.

It is true that the hard chrome adds a little bit on top of the metal - but it is very little.

These were done by Tripp Reasearch. I am not sure I can recommend them, however - I've had 5 guns done by them - but they did totally screw up a 1911. And, even after sending it back, it didn't come back much better.

So, I'd go with someone else...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts