Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays everyone! I am new here and having just purchased a P99, I have a few comments, quesitons with regard to proof marks and lastly some mods. I will use the search function most of the time and I see there is a FAQ List but the link hasn't been working. So here I am. Please bare with me.

I bought a P99 in .40 S&W just three days ago! Merry Christmas to me! LMAO! I like .40 as I have a Glock 29
(10 mm but behavior can be similar with lighter loads) a Glock 35 in .40 and now the P99.

The first thing I liked about the pistol is the versatile, ergonomic grips and the overall asthetics. Nicer lines than the Glocks by far. I also immediately noticed that the gun is more finiehed as opposed to my Glocks. Glock is almost crude with some of their machine work.

Walther polishes the ramp on the P99 but every Glock I have ever had needs to be polished. Sad, but reality. The decocker is a dream and contrary to the neg write ups I have seen about the mag release; I love it! There are times I inadvertantly depress the release on the Glock 29 by pulling from the small of my back. NOT GOOD in a critical situatiion.

The live round indicator was a grabber as I have an H&K Tactical and love that feature with that piece. The sights are far better than Glock for stock although I will add a pair a Trijicons from Brownells this next week.

Only neg I have is the looooooooooooooong pre travel on the trigger and that excessively heavy pull. Is there anyway to take up that pre travel with a mod e.g. screw or shim? I like the set trigger option, but that first shot is not so nice!

With regard to the proofs; I have rad that the SWalthers don't have an Deutsche proof marks. On my .40, there is an eagle over an N on the rear, right side of the slide. The barrel has an eagle over an N underneath the "Walther" logo.
The ONLY place it says Smith and Wesson is on the right side
of the slide in the front. Actually reads " Smith & wesson
Springfield, MA

The frame has an an eagle over the N which preceeds an "AC"
mark on the right side and a squiggly line that I cannot make any sense of. Is this the Deutsche Pistole I think it to be? Other than my take on the trigger, this is an outstanding firearm and see it being a major part of my range practice the rest of my days.

Thanks to all and to the folks that host this great site.
Again, HAppy Holidays and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!
near the front.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (64_strat @ Dec. 25 2002,7:07)]The frame has an an eagle over the N which preceeds an "AC"
mark on the right side and a squiggly line that I cannot make any sense of. Is this the Deutsche Pistole I think it to be?
Congratulations! Most of us here share your enthusiasm for the P99s.

Yes, you have an all-German Walther P99.

"Squiggly line" ?  Could that possibly be the stag horn that you're referring to? You have a stag horn on your HK Tactical don't you? I have one on my HK USPf .45.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CAt. Yes, I do have the stag horns on the Tactical. Just never knew what the heck those were. Not real exact as it would be in metal. Thank you for the head's up on the pistol. I figured it to be 100% Deutsche, but I like to ascertain and not assume. Have a great holiday and I will second that! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!

·
Registered
178 Posts

Congrats on the new piece. The long trigger pull cannot be changed internally. However, you can "set" the pull from double to single action length with a short retraction of the slide. With practice you will find that about 1/8" is enough and the cocking indicator stick out. I believe this is called "condition 2" and some prefer to carry this way. Do a search on "condition" to see a discussion on carry modesl

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
In case you were wondering, the stage horn is the proof mark of the Ulm proofhaus. H&K also uses the Ulm house.

SIG-Sauer uses the Kiel Proofhaus.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Herr Walther @ Dec. 28 2002,11:30)]SIG-Sauer uses the Kiel Proofhaus.
Also known as the "squashed bug" proof mark, but its really an oak leaf.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts