Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
馃ぎthat has to be the most poorly designed, aestheticly unpleasing PPK ever. The scroll patterns, the grips shapes, the gripcarving pattern, all of it is just awful

PS, P88, its not engraved, that is etched.... and I'm not complaining about the etching per se, Lots of etched pieces are well designed.

Reactions: Balogh and Redcat94

Registered
Where do you think this work was done and what techniques were probably used?
Hi Jimmo, ,
I bop through every so often.
It appears to be laser etched. They could have the equipment in house at Fort Smith, or they could be shipping it off to some outside vendor like Baron Technology, but it does'nt look like their work, they have much better designers inhouse and their laser work looks cleaner

Reactions: Balogh and Jimmo952

Registered
By who's opinion? Yours? I think it looks great to me.
mine, yes mine. I'm not suprised,

99% of the gunowning pubic has no clue about engraving quality, which why excrement like this gets applied all too often to what were once beautiful guns. or at least not ugly guns.... If I made a similar comparison to the automotive world it would be like letting a 3 year old use a piece of gravel to draw ice cream cones and grapeleaves on your cars paint.

Reactions: Balogh

Registered
Not disagreeing or agreeing but could you please show us a nice good engraved design?
At this point it's probably easier to show some of the atrocious wrongs on this 90th gun. I'll save a picture and mark it up for you.
Meanwhile here's some of my work appropriate to todays date.

Registered
Not disagreeing or agreeing but could you please show us a nice good engraved design?
Well I still haven't had time to write up anything since I'm desperately trying to get stuff between Tennessee and Ohio to get my store open at Csmp Perry for the National Pistol Championships.

Here at least is a picture with some markings on it that will be discussion areas for the first picture.

Maybe out of curiosity, what things do y'all notice in it ?

Reactions: Jan whitaker

Registered
Didn鈥檛 know you do engraving yourself. Very nice work and unique. Can we have the pleasure to see more of your work?
This is probably a good place to start , lots of links to follow

Registered
Back from Camp Perry, then immediately left again for Junior Olympics for Pistol in Colorado Springs., got home a few days ago. Here's a stab at the most basic errors

Let鈥檚 talk about borders. Those should be simple and easy for the untrained eye to spot errors.

Beginning with A, this inside border is fairly even and parallel to the outside border with the exception of the bottom right, about 4:30 you can see it鈥檚 wider and running at an angle to the outside line.

Borders on the gun should be a consistent width throughout the whole gun . So if this taken a s standard we will expect to see the same width elsewhere.

Look at the border B running along the grip. Is is the same width as A?

Speaking the grip, do we want to talk about the horrible fitment to the frame below the A? Not to mention that terrrible grip is covering up part of the acorn leafs.

Look at the borders at D and C鈥 do either of those match A or B ? four different border widths so far.

Border width on top half at F, admittedly this is a little tricky because it on a curve and the perspective may be different in real handling of the gun as opposed to the flat perspective of this picture.

Border width F on the flat part of the slide 鈥. This maybe is the same as A鈥 Hurray we finally found some consistentcy.

Now lets look at thelines around 1,2,3 . At 1, that tapering grind on the slide should end just past the magazine release going down parallel to the round exterior , 2, of the checkered mag release. The same line should pickup smoothly going into the grip, again parallel to the mag release at the same width. Yes, these 1 and 2 areas are things that should have been taken care prior to and engraving thoughts or design efforts.

The point of 3 should utilize that same border width coming off the grip , and then continue to run parallel as much as possible. It starts out good in this case, the beginning of the oak leave and it runs parallel prtty good for a bit, but then upturns to close by the time tis gets to the top of the 3.

These are all basic things that should be correct before any actual design work involving scroll or oakleaves should take place, but whoever did this was just clueless

Reactions: Balogh and Redcat94
1 - 7 of 7 Posts