Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some reloaders here, so let's hear your suggestions, tips, tricks and recipes!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I picked up 200 more Berry's 115 gr. bullets today. I've been busy with work the past few days, so I haven't had time to set up the Dillon 550B yet. Tomorrow, I'll start working up a load using the 115 gr. Berry's bullets, Hogdon Titegroup powder, Remington brass and CCI 500 small pistol primers. I'll post my findings when I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I bought 1K Remington 124 gr Golden Sabers from Midway. They are excellent bullets & very accurate as well. I also buy from a local supplier, Billy's Bullets. These are black moly coated & work great! No lube all over your equipment. I rate these lead bullets a #1 choice for reloading. One thing ~ no bore leading even at +P loads!!! 1 pull with a Boresnake & the bore is clean! I like the newer Winchester Autocomp powder. The fired cases are almost clean enough to reload! The cleanest powder I have EVER used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing to remember is that P99's have tight chambers. Jacketed bullets are traditionally sized at .355 which is fine. If you choose to load lead bullets, many are sized to .356. My pistol won't chamber them and it's hell getting them out. Stick with .355 bullets!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the info, ironrider.

As an aside, I still haven't set up the Dillon and worked on any loads. I picked up an FN FNAR on Saturday and have been pretty busy getting that set up and dialed in. :D

Please keep the reloading info coming!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the info, ironrider.

As an aside, I still haven't set up the Dillon and worked on any loads. I picked up an FN FNAR on Saturday and have been pretty busy getting that set up and dialed in. :D

Please keep the reloading info coming!
That FNAR is a mean looking rifle....what are you going to put on the picatinny rail mount?

I would like to get a FN FAL if I could find one for cheaper than what they're asking for...however if may just get a DSA SA58.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That FNAR is a mean looking rifle....what are you going to put on the picatinny rail mount?

I would like to get a FN FAL if I could find one for cheaper than what they're asking for...however if may just get a DSA SA58.
I've got a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 scope on the top rail mounted with Leupold QRW quick-detach rings. I put a Harris bi-pod on the six-o'clock rail with a YHM adapter. I'm still looking for a sling and maybe a laser for the nine-o'clock rail up front.

I don't feel like I'll need anything other than my FNAR and my pair of P99's in case of zombie attack. :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I think we need to establish a rule here for ALL reloaders.

ALL LOADS LISTED HERE ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY. USE ANY AND ALL DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Or something similar such as all the other load data sites have.

Just in case something goes south...

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those looking for less recoil and still meeting IPSC power factor:

Vitavouori N320 3.7 grains

147 Grain Jacketed Hollow Points

Shoots very soft with about 50% less recoil and muzzle flip (observed) than a standard 125 grain load.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been reloading for my P99 for a couple of years on a Hornady LNL-AP press. So far I've had good success with HS6 and WSF powders. I've also tried Clays Universal just for some testing, as it's what I use in .44mag - they went downrange fine, but it's not really an optimal powder for 9mm.

For HS6, I'm generally in the 5.9-6.1gr range. For WSF, I usually use 4.8gr. OAL for both averages at about 1.150.

For bullets, I've tried Hornady 124gr FMJ (Excellent), Ranier 124 plated (Quite Good), Berrys 124 plated (Current favorite). All bullets are standard roundnose.

I've also tried some regionally produced lead bullets by Vances - they range from Acceptable to Worse. The ogive isn't even consistent from lot-to-lot. The last batch I made refused to fully chamber, and it took a good hour to get the live round out of the chamber. I will not be purchasing those again, nor using the 490 I have left in the box.

thorn

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I got a load out of the Vihta Vouri book #8 for 9mm. It has a max of 6.9 grains of 3N38 using CCI primers and a Hornady 147 XTP bullet!!! Max loads do nothing in my PPS so I use 6.6 grains and that gives me 1075 fps. You will break 1100 easy in a P99. The book claims 1207 for a 4inch barrel They list OAL length at 1.142 but that is too long for my PPS to be 100% reliable. I shortened it to 1.134 hence the reduced loads.

Once again, this is for information ONLY. YMMV so do so at your own risk! (I hate all this legal jargon crap). So, verify ALL info prior to loading.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally had the opportunity to get the reloading ball rolling.

I loaded about ten rounds with 4.2 grains of Hogdon Titegroup, Berry's 115 gr. Plated RN, Remington brass and CCI primers with a C.O.L. of 1.125.

So far, this load chambers, fires, ejects and cycles in my P99c.

I'll post more when I do more testing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
HS-6 works just fine with the 9 MM but I find it dirty and it also causes a big cloud of smoke. This is very noticeable when i would shoot next to buddies that were using factory WWB ammunition.

I have switched to W231. This meters very well through my powder measures, is readily available and does not smoke too badly. Using W231 I can load about 1100+ rounds per pound of powder.

For range work and plinking the Rainier and Berry's bullets are great choices. Make sure to get these from an online supplier that gives cheap shipping. Bulk bullets are very heavy and Midway/Natchess/Cabela's type stores will ship them UPS based on weight. This adds $15-$30 to the order total. I have bought Berry's bullets from tjconevera.com and the shipping is included in his pricing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing I noticed about the Hogdon Titegroup powder is that it's a lot cleaner burning than whatever they put in Remington UMC or WWB. Cleaning the P99 after testing different loads was as easy as I've ever experienced.

Thanks for the tip about shipping bullets, too.

Cheers.

HS-6 works just fine with the 9 MM but I find it dirty and it also causes a big cloud of smoke. This is very noticeable when i would shoot next to buddies that were using factory WWB ammunition.

I have switched to W231. This meters very well through my powder measures, is readily available and does not smoke too badly. Using W231 I can load about 1100+ rounds per pound of powder.

For range work and plinking the Rainier and Berry's bullets are great choices. Make sure to get these from an online supplier that gives cheap shipping. Bulk bullets are very heavy and Midway/Natchess/Cabela's type stores will ship them UPS based on weight. This adds $15-$30 to the order total. I have bought Berry's bullets from tjconevera.com and the shipping is included in his pricing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I had the opportunity to do a little accuracy testing of my handloads today. I had 50 rounds of Berry's 115 gr. plated RN and 4.1 grains of Titegroup, and 50 rounds with 4.2 grains of Titegroup. The brass, primers and C.O.L. were the same for each load.

The 4.1 gr. load was all over the place at 10 yards, standing offhand, while the 4.2 gr. load shot directly to point of aim and gave me a 15 round, 3 inch group. :eek:

I was amazed at the difference that such a small amount of powder can make.

FWIW, I had already fired 50 Remington factory FMJ's before testing my handloads, so both batches were tested from a fairly dirty full-size P99 AS 9mm.

It was also fairly windy and I fired at a rate of approximately one round per second.

It looks like I'll be loading mass quantities of 4.2 grains of Titegroup under the Berry's 115 plated RN. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
9mm.

Rainier 124gr Hollowpoint
5.2gr Unique
CCI #500 Small Pistol Primer
Overall length 1.10, taper crimped just enough to take the flare out of the case.

Very accurate, no cycling issues, and seems to be very clean for Unique. No unburned powder flakes or smoke, and the cases were remarkably cool coming right out of the pistol (still very warm, but not "hot" as usual).

I think I've found my go-to load for the P99.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No unburned powder flakes or smoke, and the cases were remarkably cool coming right out of the pistol (still very warm, but not "hot" as usual).

I think I've found my go-to load for the P99.
This brings up a good point and reminds me of an observation, especially for those using Titegroup powder:

It is very fast burning and very, very hot. The cases are quite dangerous after ejecting and your gun will get very hot, too. It's best to shoot slow and allow time for your gun to cool between strings for the best accuracy and consistency.

Also, does anyone have a load that they like using Hornady XTP 124's? I have boatloads of Titegroup so recommendations for that combo would be great.

I'd also like to hear what else you guys have come up with. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about the .40's

Any info for reloading .40's?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just loaded up a handful of Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP's over Titegroup but haven't fired any yet. My LGS is trying to determine if they should start stocking the MG bullets, so if they shoot well in my P99, I may have a good, local source for them.

Does anyone else have experience with Montana Gold?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts