Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LGS received a PPX 9mm yesterday. Went to check it out. I have small hands and it did not feel right...it actually felt downright "cheap".
The only proofmark i could find was the eagle over N. No proofhouse mark for Ulm or Cologne. They are asking $469 for it. I was initially considering getting one, but after handling her yesterday i will not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How is the trigger as far as smoothness, weight, break, reset?

TANFOGLIO's PPX has the Ulm proof on the serial number plate on the accessory rail.

well...i did not look there..i was concentrating on the slide and ,geez...dont know the technical term for it, at the barrel where the bullet goes in..(breach) ? it says 9x19mm and the eagle over n. same on the slide...i did not even consider the accessory rail...trigger was smooth. the gun just did not have a solid feel. i know that is all subjective so dont beat me up over it. she might feel better when loaded due to the added weight but still did not feel comfortable in my hands.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Well it is their budget gun after all so it won't be up to the same standards as the P99 for example. I have no interest in it at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for the input but I'll wait till I get my hands on. Based on Tangfolios pics and the few youtube videos it doesn't look cheap at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you like the Walther implementation of the button mag release?
i have a few guns with button release.... on the PPX it was in the right spot and not as awkward. I am actually looking forward to the M2 PPQ and hope it will be identically comfortable, although i prefer the paddles.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Being that I haven't handled it yet myself I don't want to be to hard but it looks cheap and I don't understand where Walther or Umarex was going with this one.

·
Premium Member
13,565 Posts
Being that I haven't handled it yet myself I don't want to be to hard but it looks cheap and I don't understand where Walther or Umarex was going with this one.
That's easy....law enforcement & budget oriented shooters.

Here’s what Walther has to say:

Here are all the features you look for in a duty pistol, at a price that will make you look twice. The new PPX offers a smooth trigger, ambidextrous magazine release, three integral safeties, rugged construction, and the famous Walther ergonomic grip. Walther Performance Design comes to the defense of your pocketbook.

I believe it'll be what's commonly referred to as 'a smooth move'.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Assuming it reliable and accurate, and assuming that people in the US like cheap, reliable, and accurate pistols with good grips and triggers, I'm assuming it will sell well.

Would you rather buy a Taurus or a Walther? Keep in mind that Taurus sells a lot of pistols. Obviously there is a market.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I agree 100 percent with Balance.

The worst thing someone in marketing can do is to be guided by their own personal prejudices assuming that everyone on the planet agrees with them and what they specifically want as far as features and will spend or not spend for a product.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I agree 100 percent with Balance.

The worst thing someone in marketing can do is to be guided by their own personal prejudices assuming that everyone on the planet agrees with them and what they specifically want as far as features and will spend or not spend for a product.
True, I'm sure they did multiple focus groups and user surveys before designing the PPX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm relatively new to semi-auto handguns. I own a Ruger Redhawk for hunting but that's obviously not a semi-auto but that's as far as my handgun experience goes. I was hunting around for a PPQ for a few months and I was just having no luck. I was actually at the local Cabella's just browsing around and stumbled upon the PPX 9mm. I held it and fell in love. While I like the striker fire of the PPQ, the DAO of the PPX seems to be a nice set up. And for the price you can't go wrong, esp for a Walther. I was looking into the S&W M&P's and the Magnum Research Baby Eagle as well. I think I made the right choice. Now I can't wait to send a few down range!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm relatively new to semi-auto handguns. I own a Ruger Redhawk for hunting but that's obviously not a semi-auto but that's as far as my handgun experience goes. I was hunting around for a PPQ for a few months and I was just having no luck. I was actually at the local Cabella's just browsing around and stumbled upon the PPX 9mm. I held it and fell in love. While I like the striker fire of the PPQ, the DAO of the PPX seems to be a nice set up. And for the price you can't go wrong, esp for a Walther. I was looking into the S&W M&P's and the Magnum Research Baby Eagle as well. I think I made the right choice. Now I can't wait to send a few down range!!
Pictures and a detailed range report!

(The sooner you get 'em the more "likes" I'm sure you'll get, as I think a lot of people are waiting to see how it is received!)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I handled a PPX is the local Cabelas today.

There are just my thoughts and opinions about a pistol I have not shot yet.

It looked huge in the case - kinda of took me by surprise.

It say's ULM Germany on the frame but no matching serial number that I could see on the slide and the barrel like you see on the PPQ/P99 - maybe I missed it and maybe the barrel serial number, if there is one, is on the other side of the barrel and not visible in the ejection port. I wonder if it comes with a test target??

It felt pretty good in my hand but to me it did not feel as good as the PPQ/P99. I think it has to do with that strange backstrap shape with the pronouned hump that felt a bit uncomfortable to me but I probably could get used to it. I wonder if that shape is to counter muzzle flip more so than the grip on most other pistols??

The trigger was kind of a mystery for a hammer fired pistol. Trigger pull is outstanding but very short - nothing like a SIG P250 or HK LEM. IMO that kind of takes away from the advantage of a longer hammer fired trigger pull. The trigger pull took me by surprise - very crisp but also very short.

I left with kind of a lukewarm opinion of the PPX but that could change one way or the other after shooting one and I am hoping I get the chance to fire one at my LGS at the last weekend on the month in March when they have their annual factory shoot. Maybe they will even have a PPQ M2 longslide to try. :D

However given the price of the PPX it certainly will be near the top of the list for must check out quality budget pistols along with the SIG SP2022.

Reactions: Sundevil827

·
Registered
178 Posts
I handled a PPX is the local Cabelas today.

There are just my thoughts and opinions about a pistol I have not shot yet.

It looked huge in the case - kinda of took me by surprise.

It say's ULM Germany on the frame but no matching serial number that I could see on the slide and the barrel like you see on the PPQ/P99 - maybe I missed it and maybe the barrel serial number, if there is one, is on the other side of the barrel and not visible in the ejection port. I wonder if it comes with a test target??

It felt pretty good in my hand but to me it did not feel as good as the PPQ/P99. I think it has to do with that strange backstrap shape with the pronouned hump that felt a bit uncomfortable to me but I probably could get used to it. I wonder if that shape is to counter muzzle flip more so than the grip on most other pistols??

The trigger was kind of a mystery for a hammer fired pistol. Trigger pull is outstanding but very short - nothing like a SIG P250 or HK LEM. IMO that kind of takes away from the advantage of a longer hammer fired trigger pull. The trigger pull took me by surprise - very crisp but also very short.

I left with kind of a lukewarm opinion of the PPX but that could change one way or the other after shooting one and I am hoping I get the chance to fire one at my LGS at the last weekend on the month in March when they have their annual factory shoot. Maybe they will even have a PPQ M2 longslide to try. :D

However given the price of the PPX it certainly will be near the top of the list for must check out quality budget pistols along with the SIG SP2022.
No test target included.

Proof marks and serial numbers on plate under the rail

Very short, crisp and sweet DAO. P30 LEM is "spongy", sig P250 is 'smoooooth and long'. PPX is 'smooth, light and short', has no second-strike capability, must be re-racked to precock hammer spring.

PPX hammer does not offer the additional safety of it being 'thumbed' to stop trigger pull, trigger can be pulled all the way regardless and will release and strike even if hammer is not physically cocked backward.

Truly NO external active or passive safeties on PPX.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts