Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning to put some type of optics on my new ppq Q4. I have never used anything other than open sights on a handgun. I plan on using some of the removable rings so I can take the optical sight off when I want to use my regular sights. I need some input on which is the best type of red dot sight, regular handgun scope or red dot sight. Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
since no guru has answered you yet, I will just say this:

I have a Q5 LE and have changed the sights that came with it. However, all my shooting will be up to 25 yds, so no need for a scope. All my red dot equipped rifles have been a problem for me, as the dot has become a flare with my bad eyes, no matter what eyeglass I use

In short, try em and use whats best for your particular situation

BUT beware, I am NOT a guru on this

Good luck...sorry youve had no answers after all this time

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
For a 4" Q I personally wouldn't consider any optic other than an RMR. If you need the magnification of a scope I would use a different gun.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Red dots probably make the most sense on handguns but may be a problem if you have an astigmatism, Makes the typical red dot look like a distorted star. Some are more prone to this than others. I have 1 that never gives me a problem and two others that I need to switch glasses to see the dot clearly. With scopes, its not much problem since you can focus the eyepiece.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Also depends on intended use. If it is for defense when you aren't going to have ample time to line up a shot and press trigger, but more of point and bang, RMR/relfex/red dot are the way to go, make the dot be on what you want to hit and bang, if you haven't adjusted it, its a great way. Mind you, eye troubles while sighting the thing in, might be a tall order. Scope on a pistol, now that wounds Han Solo if I ever heard of it, not to say I haven't tried it. UM Tactical has a really neat setup that I use with my P99 all the time, its called the UM3 (they also have out now the UM3X, don't properly know the difference yet). It clips onto the rail on your dust cover, and goes AROUND the slide and working bits and has a picatinny rail up top to mount a red dot, or if you have a scope with slim enough rings, you can put rings and a scope up top. Can be taken off with the push of a button and you have your irons back. Of course, you never lose the use of your irons with this, as you have a sight picture right through the part.

When I first started my job and got involved with our union, I was still new to it, and I was raised very anti-union all through childhood and my learning years. So I was still a little hesitant to commit time to labor group, and being so hesitant, I used money I won from a union raffle to buy this thing. I still laugh when I think about it, but it is hands down one of the best investments I EVER made when it comes to an optic on a pistol, whatever it be.

www.umtactical.com

·
Registered
62 Posts
I definitely would use a mini red dot. Whatever you can afford. I put a Vortex Venom on my Q5 and I like it a lot. I'll probably swap it out with a DPP later, but the Venom was $160 and the DPP is around $400.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts