Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm the newb here. Just found the forum today. Bear with me: I'm new to the realm of modern firearms. I used to have loads of blackpowder, so all these moving parts are a whole new world for me.

I'm having a problem. I just bought a brand new Walther PPKS in stainless with the walnut grips in .380. I took it out and fired about 200 rounds, worked amazing. I love it.

However, I was cleaning it today and after reassmbly, the firearm will not cock. I can manipulate the hammer, but the hammer will not remain in the cocked position. Obviously a hugely dangerous problem. When manipulating the slide, the hammer will not lock in the cocked position, creating a problem with turning the firearm into something fully automatic.

I believe that I found the culprit. There are two spring-loaded levers located in the hammer. Neither of them seem to be moving as I think they ought to be.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6KXo1ZnZZTn9QVpi7

I've shared an album of photographs of the firearm in question. I wasn't paying close attention to the operation or positioning of the individual components when firing at the range, so I'm relying on the photos I've been able to find online, which are not particularly well documented.

I'm pretty sure that I must have broken one of the springs in the hammer. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Any ideas fellas?

Thanks!

--Patrick

·
Registered
705 Posts
Try taking the grip off and see if anything looks like it's not seated properly. The attached picture looks like the circled part isn't moving properly and might just need some lube.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the super speedy response!

I had disassembled the firearm, without going into the trigger assembly. If I'm not mistaken, that's the spring for the hammer block? Anyways, that part moves freely and I don't think is an issue. I'll certainly put some more lubricant on it and let you know.

--Patrick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is that I used to be able to manually cock it. After disassembly and cleaning, it now only operates in double action mode. Is there some way to turn double action mode only off that I activated when reassembling? Or did I break a spring, as I suspect is the most likely case?

The slide will lock back on an empty magazine, yes. Which also will lock back the hammer, but only because the slide covers the hammer. The hammer itself isn't cocked.

I don't think that's normal.

·
Registered
863 Posts
There are no springs like that in the design. Kind of looks like a casting debris that wasn't removed that is messing with the action. It does have the shape of the double action sear that is pinned on the hammer, but way too thin.
Good picture to show us. Reassemble without that piece and try the action again, unloaded, by hand.
Another close up picture on the right side with the grips removed thru the window will also show if the double action sear split and is damaged.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I believe that the the "spring" you found is a sheared-off sliver of the cocking piece (i.e., the sear) that engages the hammer toe in single-action operation.

M

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yep, Mike is correct and the video proved it. That SA step on the cocking piece sheared off and there is nothing for the hammer nose to engage on. That is the part that needs replacing, plus a good look at the hammer nose to see if that has damage.
The CP is real hard metal and strange it broke. Maybe a bad casting or not heat treated properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got an RMA to send it back to Walther for repair. What a bummer! I've had this for less than 30 days. One of the new manufactured ones.

I still love it. Hopefully they can fix it up.

·
Registered
863 Posts
This area was broken off the cocking piece on the underside of the part. The ledge is what captures the hammer nose for SA shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow up:

Thank you for all the help, fellas. Turns out it was the cocking piece. I emailed Walther directly, was provided shipping info and had the gun sent and got the fixed gun back in under two weeks.

I'm disappointed that this broke, but I could not be more pleased with how incredible customer support was. Took it out today without any problems.

--Patrick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts