Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the pistol about a month ago. I wanted a long side accurate 22, more accurate that the typical 22lr "plinking" pistol. I have four center fire PPQs, and they are excellent performers; accurate, good ergos, zero functional issues. Unfortunately the 22LR PPQ isn't up to the standards of the center fire brothers.

I fired about 200 rounds of mixed CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Mini-Mags. I had a few failures to feed the Standard Velocity, but none with the Mini-Mags. I was not surprised since new 22s often need something with more oomph to wear in. I did have two more important issues. First, about every 3rd magazine change, the magazine would fall out of the pistol after firing 2 or 3 shots. At first I figured I'd not seated the magazine firmly. Nope, that's not it. Then I figured the big joint on my left, support hand was hitting the magazine release. That appeared to be the culprit, as I could uncomfortably "cup" my left hand away from that area and the magazines did not drop free. I figure a stronger spring would cure that. The second issue was this pistol is just not very accurate; meaning large 5 shot group sizes. For instance, I have 3 inch 9mm carry pistols that group much tigher. ALL my other 22s are more accurate; and none have anything but the OEM barrels. My other 22s are "plinker" grade, not target pistols excepting my Buckmark, which I did not expect the Walther to match.

Well, anyone can produce a lemon, so I got on the phone with Walther. The fellow there said there was no stronger magazine release spring for this pistol, but I could try taking it down and bending the spring inside. That didn't sound like something I'd want to do. We also talked about its accuracy, and he said to return it to Walther in Ft Smith. I did, they had it for one day and shipped it back. There analysis: "Checks normal".

Oh well. I am disappointed both in Walther and especially this PPQ 22. Just thought I'd pass this along. I would not recommend a PPQ 22, at least not getting the long slide and expecting better accuracy.:(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Got a 5" PPQ .22 few weeks ago. Very accurate and reliable. Fed and ejected everything from Mini-Mags to sub-sonic rounds. Planning some more in-depth accuracy tests tomorrow with a red dot sight mounted, have pretty high expectations. Maybe have another shooter try it and see if their results are the same you experienced. As .22 LR's go, the PPQ is larger than most and may require more getting used to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a 5" PPQ .22 few weeks ago. Very accurate and reliable. Fed and ejected everything from Mini-Mags to sub-sonic rounds. Planning some more in-depth accuracy tests tomorrow with a red dot sight mounted, have pretty high expectations. Maybe have another shooter try it and see if their results are the same you experienced. As .22 LR's go, the PPQ is larger than most and may require more getting used to.
As I expected, I think my pistol is the rare lemon that comes along. My groups at only 7 yards were about 2-3 inches in diameter. That's great shooting for a carry piece, but horrible for a 22LR such as the Walther. So you are not having inadvertant magazine releases; that's good. I was able to confirm what I expected is causing it with my pistol in my hand. When I grasp the PPQ 22 like I do naturally with my other PPQs (two 9s, 1 40, 1 45), my left thumb goes pretty far forward and increase pressure on the pistol, out pops the magazine quite often. My big joint on the left thumb is hitting the mag release. If I unnaturally bring my thumb back about a quarter inch, I am okay. I suppose I can train myself to hold this PPQ differently. Not sure what to do about the poor accuracy. Maybe you are correct and I will correct that with time and ammo down range.

Which red dot are you planning? Are you going to use an EGW adapter plate? I have a Holosun HE507 green dot on my PPQ Q5, and it is fantastic. I was getting nearly three quarter inch groups, but that is only at 10 yards. I got the green dot because my 73 yr old eyes have trouble with iron sights, and even with red dot sights. The green dot is clearer for me. I am considering getting a Holosun HE407 for the PPQ 22 but only if its accuracy improves. Otherwise it's going on Armslist.:cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your PPQ22. I have had mine for over a year and a half (PPQ .22 5”). To match my 5” PPQ M2 9MM. When I first got it, I was having issues with the rear sight not being able to adjust far enough and ended shooting off (low left about) 3”. The stock sights are horrible. I ended up buying a adapter plate for S&W .22 per recommendation by some of the forum members here. The plate replaced the rear sight in the dovetail. Installed the Vortex Viper and everything came into place. I can shoot 5-10 shot groups at 10 yards and get it within and inch or less easily most of the time. Shoots most of the hv ammo without any problem. I use the Birchwood Casey 3” targets. For what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your PPQ22. I have had mine for over a year and a half (PPQ .22 5”). To match my 5” PPQ M2 9MM. When I first got it, I was having issues with the rear sight not being able to adjust far enough and ended shooting off (low left about) 3”. The stock sights are horrible. I ended up buying a adapter plate for S&W .22 per recommendation by some of the forum members here. The plate replaced the rear sight in the dovetail. Installed the Vortex Viper and everything came into place. I can shoot 5-10 shot groups at 10 yards and get it within and inch or less easily most of the time. Shoots most of the hv ammo without any problem. I use the Birchwood Casey 3” targets. For what it’s worth.
That is good information for me. I think I read your posts about the S&W M&P 22 a few months ago. Now of course EGW makes an adaptor plate specifically for the PPQ 22, so that issue at least is moot. I am leaning more toward the Holosun, mainly because I have on on the Q5 and already know its operation. I also like the green dot as I mentioned earlier. Last night I packed the S&W M&P 22 compact and PPQ 22 together to evaluate them together on a future range trip. I will figure out which shoots better for me, and add the Holosun to the better of the two. I hope it's the PPQ. It seems a much more likely candidate as a "target" pistol. I already have a Buck Mark with an Ultradot MatchDot on it that is a tack driver, but more is better, yes?

So you are sticking with HV ammo? My 22s all like Mini-Mags, although I am still testing many of the pistols with other ammo. I have TONS of Lapua Center X that I used when I was benchrest shooting a custom rifle, but I have not tried that yet. I don't shoot the rifle anymore. Too bad, I must have $4000 invested in that puppy!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a standard PPQ22, and haven't had any significant issues. Accuracy is decent with CCI SV, but I don't expect it to be any better than a typical carry gun. I have other .22 pistols that are target-grade, but I don't expect the PPQ to be at that level.

Is there just one mag that always drops? If you are not sure, I'd mark them and confirm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a standard PPQ22, and haven't had any significant issues. Accuracy is decent with CCI SV, but I don't expect it to be any better than a typical carry gun. I have other .22 pistols that are target-grade, but I don't expect the PPQ to be at that level.

Is there just one mag that always drops? If you are not sure, I'd mark them and confirm.
No, it's both OEM magazines. I am 99% it's my grip that puts the large thumb joint over the mag release. Odd it never happens on any other PPQ. Thanks goodness!:cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could always switch your mag release to the opposite side.
Thanks for the suggestion.:cool:

Yes, I have already considered that. I'd do that before I take the pistol down enough to fiddle with the spring as Walther suggested earlier. I'm going to shoot the pistol another 100 rounds and then decide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts