Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't post much on here, mostly just read, but wanted to share the following. I know not everyone out there likes how Walther utilizes the optic plates and does away with the rear sight, but I don't mind it at all. I like having the clear window (vs that of my Sig RX) and I like having the option to use a totally different fitting optic vs having the slide milled for a specific model sight. I really like the Q5 and Q4 that I have, but I'd say I probably like my PPQ 45 a little more... I just wished it had the same plate system of the Q5 and Q4.

So, I started an email conversation with Mark from L&M Precision Gunworks about milling the PPQ 45 slide for the Q5/Q4 plates. He said he'd had some similar inquiries but nobody had sent him the slides and plates to check out. I first sent a few pics that he looked at and he felt that it was do-able with just the PPQ45 slide and the plates, so I shipped them off to him to take a closer look at.

The only issue we discussed before he started cutting was that since the sight groove on the standard slides is cut closer to the back than the milled slides of the Q5/Q4 I had two options. 1) He could cut back far enough that the very rear of the sight groove would not be noticeable with the optic plates on it, but when I had the adjustable rear sight plate on they would hang over the back of the pistol a little more than the Q5/Q4, or 2) He could cut the slide so the adjustable sights would be flush with the back, but more groove would be visible when an optic plate was on. I asked him to go with the first option as I figure once I decide on an optic to use, I'll likely very rarely put the adjustable sight plate back on. Any changes would probably be to another model optic! Glad I went that way as the overhang is very minor, looks to be around 1/8" more than the overhang on the 9mm’s and since the PPQ45 slide is bigger than that of the 9mm's, proportionally the overhang looks similar.

Mark did an excellent job! He was great to communicate with and all via email. He usually responded to my emails within about 5 minutes, even a couple I sent around 11pm! I definitely felt I sent it to the right guy. All the plates fit great and I really like how it turned out. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. May look for another adjustable rear sight plate so I can have one sighted in for my Q5, Q4, and Q45. Like I said, I know its not the preferred way for everybody, but I just feel like I had more future options going this route. I put the Vortex Venom I had on my Q5 on the Q45 for some pics, but will likely get either the Leupold Delta Point Pro or the Shield RMS. I attached some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Very well done indeed. I think you will enjoy the fabrication. It looks to be top notch. Keep us posted as to how your Q45 preforms with these changes to the slide.

While my Q45 is used for a different purpose and wouldn't sport such as set up. I still find changes like this very interesting and love to learn how they hold up and function over numerous cyclings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How much did that cost?

I want a Q4 tac but can’t find one. I did ask Mark about milling my ppq a while back but wanted the ability to use different optics. It didn’t occur to me to ask about asking about the Q4 plate, d’oh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much did that cost?

I want a Q4 tac but can’t find one. I did ask Mark about milling my ppq a while back but wanted the ability to use different optics. It didn’t occur to me to ask about asking about the Q4 plate, d’oh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was $230. Considering it was the first time he’d done this I’m sure there was more work involved figuring out what to do, I was surprised that was all it cost. Like you said, the reason I went this way was to have more options with optics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Vortex looks to be a quality sight.
It is. I think that’s why I’ve been having trouble picking an optic for the Q45. I have two Vortex Venoms (Q5 Match and one on my 5” PPQ 22). I also have a Sig Romeo 1 on a P226 MK-25 RX. The Vortex has been great. I have it on the auto brightness setting and I feel it works really well. Still on the original battery. Guess i’m Having trouble deciding because an optic at half the cost of the two I’m considering has been excellent. Plus the Vortex warranty seems great. The reason i’ve been thinking about the other two is because one you can get a rear sight for one and the other has a PPQ mounting plate and a pseudo rear sight built into it. If the Vortex had either of those two options, the decision would be easy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would be curious of the cost? If it's close to just buying a Q4 slide...might just wait until they release them in '19 ($460 if this is true)plus I can mate it with my M1 paddles.
Depends on what comes with the slide. It cost me $230 but I already had 2 of each mounting plate since I have both the Q5 and Q4. If you want all the different mounting plates and they are included in the $490 then it would prob be best to wait to get the slide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very well done indeed. I think you will enjoy the fabrication. It looks to be top notch. Keep us posted as to how your Q45 preforms with these changes to the slide.
Thanks! Will do. I can’t imagine anything will be different especially since the cut isn’t as deep into the 45 vs the 9mm since the slide is bigger, but we shall see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Shield RMS on an M&P .45 and live it. I've put a couple thousand rounds through it with the sight without issue. I love the ability to change the battery without taking the sight off. I'm on 7 mintys with the original battery so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Nice to hear it holds up to the 45! You’re pushing me in that direction, lol! Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The plates are just adapter plates for the various mounting systems used by different manufacturers of optics. The slide still needs to be milled to accept the plate for the brand you want.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice if you want an adj sight like you have, or to add optics.

I think the Q5 SD should have came with the Q4 plate, but that
would probably have cost more Marks on Walther's end.

With no real desire for a suppressed Walther, I do have some interest
in a Vortex equipped Q5 MATCH by the end of the year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The plates are just adapter plates for the various mounting systems used by different manufacturers of optics. The slide still needs to be milled to accept the plate for the brand you want.
Yes, that correct. I would like to know if Walther sells just the adapter plates so that I can have my slide milled for it. I like the option to change various optics instead of just having my slide milled to one specific optic. I live in a state where I cannot purchase the Q4/Q5 TACs so if Walther just sells the plate then I would like to purchase a set.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.