Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sights are very small and red had to blink after every shot to be able to focus my old eyes on the sights. It was accurate not competition accurate but hit in a pie plate at 7 yards and at ten yards 5 out of 7 in but that is on me. One thing I did notice if you gripped the gun just a tad high the slide would scrap just above the knuckle and the first knuckle. The thing that surprised me was I was using Sig 100 gr FMJ 380 ammo the recoil was quite strong even though the gun was heavy. It still is a lot of fun to shoot and I always wanted one so I am a happy camper.
DSC_0986.JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice PPK pistol.

I purchased several Bersa Thunder 380's years ago without knowing they were actually Walther PPK knockoffs. They are a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate. I run Fiocchi ammo through the Bersa most often and recoil and accuracy is excellent.

Have fun,
Ralph

·
Registered
320 Posts
PPK's are hard to beat, so much history and fun to shoot. It's the type of pistol you don't sell, unless your getting another one.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Congrats on new pistol. I enjoy shooting my S&W PPK even though it packs quite a punch to the hands. There is a way to make the recoil feel less harsh. Shoot an LCP .380 first.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Wildtoad, I have to disagree with that recoil statement. I guess everyone's hands are different but I've shot .380 PP pistols quite a bit as well as an LCP. To me the recoil isn't comparable. I've fired 250 rounds through an LCP and Smith Bodyguard at a standing. While snappy, the pistol flips upward with less perceived recoil. I attribute this to the Browning lock system. The blowback PP pistols seem to me to drive straight rearward with their recoil and are considerably more painful to shoot. Simply put, they drive rearward into the hand and wrist...hard. I don't know how you would scientifically test this and I guess it isn't important as everyone has different hand size and strength but to me there is no comparison. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
1917', IMHO, neither one is much fun to shoot! ;) But you're entirely right; the Walther's blowback action is the culprit.
For the OP, my eternal suggestion, get a bike glove for range sessions; it cushions the shots far better than any other grip you might install.
For defensive use, a couple shots won't make any difference.
However, if you see someone skulking about wearing only one bike glove, be suspicious.... :)
Moon

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Antares - there are multiple threads on the WF about how to avoid love bites from your pp-series Walther. Among those, I do not advocate getting an American-made one with a beavertail as a solution :p

Reactions: olsoul

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put a Hogue Hand All grip onto my wife's Ft. Smith PPK/S, and it has really tamed the pain for her. She is only 5'2" and 100 pounds, but she runs 150-200 rounds through her PPK/S and consistently hits 10" steel plates at 25 yards with it. If you keep working with it, you'll get similar results.

The PPK/S really is more accurate than people give it credit for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just sent my PPK back to Walther because the long tail was killing my thumb joint every time I shoot it. (Was never a problem on my short tail guns) . I emailed them an told them the long tail was killing my hand and was there anyone they recommended to remove / reprofile it, they said to send it to them. not Sure what they will do but I hope it something more than holding it hostage a few mo then telling me nothing wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
I just sent my PPK back to Walther because the long tail was killing my thumb joint every time I shoot it. (Was never a problem on my short tail guns) . I emailed them an told them the long tail was killing my hand and was there anyone they recommended to remove / reprofile it, they said to send it to them. not Sure what they will do but I hope it something more than holding it hostage a few mo then telling me nothing wrong with it.
This is interesting. Please keep us informed as to what Walther says and does about this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Full, let us know! The beavertail assault is a common topic.
I went the Hogue route for now.

As with yours, accuracy is not a problem. The only problem with carrying it is that it's too good to surrender to authorities after self-defense. So... I carry my G42, which on GSSF pricing was less than half the cost, and can be readily (more or less these days) replaced.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Got one on the way! I've owned a lot of vintage mint PPKs but am very excited about this one. Why? I'm not gonna have to put white gloves on, oogle it, and place it back in a safe. I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of it. I bought the black, but will probably pick up a stainless too. I understand the black melanite (sp?) is a tough finish, but I will shoulder holster the stainless. Played with one at a gun shop. The trigger is better than any of my six vintage PPKs, PPs or PPK/Ss. Smooth double action and sweet single action. The only thing I didn't like was the rather sharp edges on the enlarged tang. Probably will put a bandaid on when firing more than 50 rounds. (That is if I can find more than 50 rounds of .380 ACP.) Congrats on yours!

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
87 Posts
The sights are very small and red had to blink after every shot to be able to focus my old eyes on the sights. It was accurate not competition accurate but hit in a pie plate at 7 yards and at ten yards 5 out of 7 in but that is on me. One thing I did notice if you gripped the gun just a tad high the slide would scrap just above the knuckle and the first knuckle. The thing that surprised me was I was using Sig 100 gr FMJ 380 ammo the recoil was quite strong even though the gun was heavy. It still is a lot of fun to shoot and I always wanted one so I am a happy camper. View attachment 94749
Which company made this gun? Was it a Fort Smith model? How many rounds did you fire out of it that day?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wildtoad, I have to disagree with that recoil statement. I guess everyone's hands are different but I've shot .380 PP pistols quite a bit as well as an LCP. To me the recoil isn't comparable. I've fired 250 rounds through an LCP and Smith Bodyguard at a standing. While snappy, the pistol flips upward with less perceived recoil. I attribute this to the Browning lock system. The blowback PP pistols seem to me to drive straight rearward with their recoil and are considerably more painful to shoot. Simply put, they drive rearward into the hand and wrist...hard. I don't know how you would scientifically test this and I guess it isn't important as everyone has different hand size and strength but to me there is no comparison. 1917
Yeah, Ive had a Mannurhin in the distant past and bought a S&W PPK/S on a sale about the same month they were introduced.........if anything with its relative heft the PPK/S makes the mild .380 recoil negligible and I can get back on target a LOT faster than I can with a Mustang Pocketlite (not the damned half polymer one, the stainless one). I love both the Mustang and the PPK/S and both are gorgeous guns but I didnt have to smooth the feed ramps on my PPK/S before I managed to get no failures to feed as I did with the Mustang. Sometimes I carry both with the PPK/S in a fitted paddle holster OWB and the Mustang in a Vedder pocket holster. Wish Vedder made a fitted polymer holster for the PPK/S but alas they dont.
Now with winter coming on I will go back to carrying my Glock 30 with Glock 21 mags with grip sleeves as my primary and pocket fit either my PPK/S in a Sticky Holster in a pocket or the Mustang....I kinda prefer carrying the PPK/S as I came upon a sale on 7 round mags with a pinky rest while the Mustang is a round down..whatever.
Someone on here mentioned that the new manufacturer of the PPK/S was going the MIM route, is that true? Might as well just get a Bersa if you love pot metal. To each their own. A reply mentioned something about MIM not mattering since the PPK/S in his mind wasnt a high round count firearm. Wish I knew that before I bought my .380 practice ammo by the 1000 round case

1 - 20 of 38 Posts