Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

this is my first post on this forum. I have a P38 that belonged to my dad that is need of some work that I don't feel capable of. I live about an hour south of Atlanta and would like to find a capable smith who is familiar with Walthers on the South side of Atlanta, but anywhere in Metro Atlanta will do. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

·
Registered
429 Posts
jsummers,
Welcome to the forum.
A suggestion. You might post what the problems are that you want to correct on your dad's treasure. With the knowledge and source base on the forum, you may find it possible for you to correct at home.
I know nothing about the Atlanta area smiths. Good luck; art.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Not everyone knows the ins and out of Walthes, and that includes a long list of otherwise fine gunsmiths. If you want someone to work on a classic, you need to find a qualified gunsmith, regardless of location. Close to you? Right part of the country, anyway:

M&M Gunsmithing
M & M Gunsmithing

2423 Carter Grove Rd
Hazel Green, Al 35750
Phone: 571-276-7676
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. The visible problem that I know of with the gun is that the firing pin is broken. That seems like it should be a straightforward problem to repair. It is the potential other problems that I might not be knowledgeable enough to pick up on that worry me on a gun this old.

Hazel Green is about 4 1/2 hours from me, but I will call and see if maybe they can suggest someone with experience closer. The normal gunsmith that I work told me the same thing you said ... he is not familiar enough with the gun to feel confident with it ..... which gave me a new found respect and trust for him.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
923 Posts
I can very highly recommend Andy Gazaway Gazaway Machine & Tool Home Page (c)2008. He is located in the Alpharetta/Cumming area in North Metro Atlana. Luckily he is a ten minute drive for me. His work around these parts borders on legendary. Just be sure to call before dropping by.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My first P-38, a cyq, had a problem with the firing pin. It would not slide back out of the safety. It turned out that the firing pin had deformed on the forward edge of the rectangular piece, where the spring pushed it back, and it would not slide thru the rectangular hole in the safety. I just deburred it and it slides in and out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts