1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote from Gun Tests Mag Nov 05:

40 S&W Quick-Action Polymer Pistols:
Pass On These Two

Walther America’s P99QA and the Smith & Wesson SW99OL offer plenty of extras, but the Walther’s trigger function and the lack of a safety on the S&W gun trigger a pair of Don’t Buys.

We found the primary advantages of the Walther America P99QA (shown above) and the similar Smith & Wesson SW99OL to be their light weight and snag-free profiles. We might have wished for a thumb safety, but both guns were free of levers that can catch on clothing and ruin a draw. We found these guns could be carried comfortably and securely in concealment garments such as this denim jean jacket from 5.11 ($130, from www.511tactical.com).
One result of the union struck between Smith & Wesson and Walther has been the production of polymer pistols distinctly different from the Smith & Wesson VE series, which closely resemble the old Sigma line of pistols. These new SW99 pistols are chambered for 9mm, .45 ACP and in .40 S&W.

These pistols are double-action only, striker-fired guns utilizing a polymer frame with interchangeable backstrap plates to accommodate different size hands. The rear sights are adjustable for windage. To change elevation, four interchangeable front-sight blades are supplied.

Elsewhere, the Walther America pistol is virtually the same as the Smith & Wesson product, save for the Walther offe...

End Quote.

The article is a bit confusing as both pistols lack thumb safeties and have the same "trigger functions." I think they were refering to the pull the trigger and it fires function. I do not know why the Glock is OK but the P99 not.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
This is a great example of why people need to do their own legwork and reach their own conclusions.  If I had relied on this article I would've missed out on a very good handgun.  I cannot tell for sure, but it sounds like the this guy is expressing his preferences for DA/SA pistols with their conventional safeties.  It's fine to have that perference, but to automatically rule out guns that don't have those features for all prospective buyers says a lot more about the problems with the review's author than the guns in question.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Nov. 07 2005,14:10)]This is a great example of why people need to do their own legwork and reach their own conclusions. If I had relied on this article I would've missed out on a very good handgun. I cannot tell for sure, but it sounds like the this guy is expressing his preferences for DA/SA pistols with their conventional safeties. It's fine to have that perference, but to automatically rule out guns that don't have those features for all prospective buyers says a lot more about the problems with the review's author than the guns in question.
Damn it, conform. Resistance is futile. They will assimilate you

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's ok, probably same guys don't care for Glocks, XDs and Steyrs and lots of other modern handguns. An external saftey is just something else to go wrong. Safety means keeping your finger off the trigger untill you're ready to shoot.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It IS interesting, especially since they DID like the original Walther P99QA 9mm they tested in the April 2001 issue.

Different reviewers, different opinions. I still like Gun Tests, have been a long time subscriber. They will call a gun a lemon and I like that.

They also were critical of the first P99 .40 they tested, but then they tested it again and declared that it was a winner. Different sample, different reviewer, different opinions.

I wish they would compare the P99C AS, Glock 26, S&W SW990L Compact and Springfield XD Compact. Maybe one of these days.

James

·
Registered
333 Posts
I too carried the magazine for a year.........until they recommended a not buy on the Remington Model 870 Shotgun.

One of the best shotguns ever mass produced......... so I think everyone has an angle.........some are not as obvious as others.

JF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts