Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used like new P99 at a gun show over the weekend. It didnt have a lock for it, do you think if i called wather they give me one?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Depends on where you live. Try Walther first, then your local Sheriff's Dept. Ours gives them away free...and we have a rather large city too....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that when you get the gun they dont put one in the box like some others do, they sold me a black cable lock for it. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The NRA may even pop one in the mail for you. Or get one at the local sports store for $5. These flimsy little things are just a marketing ploy and get made by the lowest bidder in China or India. I wouldn't trust my kids with that lock, nor would I want to keep the slide back for an extended period of time. I got one of those small electronic safes at Harbor Freight (why pay 50% more for the same safe when it's got a different name on it? :) and put it out of reach of the kids.

Oh wait, I just opened a can of worms. Run away! Run away!

·
Registered
232 Posts
What's wrong with leaving the slide back for extended periods of time?

As far as locks go, my gun stays loaded, with one in the pipe, decocked, and cliped to the side of my bed, in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster, but, then again, the only "kid" around my appartment is my 18 year old kid brother, and he's a better shooter that understands saftey as well as I do.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well I suppose the spring is pretty high quality so it doesn't care about being compressed like that but I feel better about the gun being 'at rest' than 'under tension'. Plus I'm not sure how good it would be if the slide release was disengaged with the lock through the mag well. Probably a non issue.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I don't have my guns in the safe (A Sentry safe with electronic lock...takes about 3 seconds to open), I bought some of the combination trigger locks ($10 each). The go completely through the trigger and prevent it from being operated. It's a three digit combo (might take 5-7 seconds to open if you fumble it), but it doesn't impact the slide or the mag well at all. The combos are adjustable so you can set it to something that's easy for you. Not fool proof, but they'll stop a small child from doing something tragic.

Jim

·
Registered
232 Posts
It dosen't matter if a spring is under tension, rest, or 1/2 way... what causes spring fatigue is the spring moving, being compressed only stores potential energy. The only ways to comprimise a spring is to exceed it's maximum flexability or to use it (though that's to a lesser degree).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well im probably crazy but since i have an eleven year old at home i bought a cable loct from Wathers for 20.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with Nocturnal here.......... a small "fire safe" from Brinks with digital entry is a great way to secure your loaded weapon and make it available to you in seconds. My safe , I can open in 7 seconds in total darkness as the keypad is backlit. The weight of the safe "prevents" you hard earned guns from walking off in a break-in. The fire protection is just an added bonus!! The safe will discourage most thieves as they don't want to spend but a minimum amount of time in your home--- 10 to 15 minutes tops ( average stats). They are not likely to carry a 150 lb safe down the street and if you bolt them down all the better. Mine sits in the corner of the dressing closet.

JF

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine is actually not a fire safe, it would be better it it were. It is bolted to the wall though so unless they have some time on their hand it's not going anywhere. I also camouflage my safe by sticking a regular office box over it.

For a while I considered getting a Brinks firesafe with finger print lock. Apparently you'd still need the key to open it which kindof defeats the purpose (secure and fast access).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hell, send me a postage paid mailer and I'll send you two from my P99's and a couple of Hk ones if I haven't already pitched 'em.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ronnie Gregorczyk
1253 lantana
corpus christi, tx 78407
im up for donations, thanks.
Shoot my P99 for the first time today and was it great, 100 rounds no problems, gun is great. However i learned one thing, dont shoot with 2 hands, reciever took top shin off my thumb. LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im going to donate that money to the forum, thanks guys.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The lesson you -should- have learned is that you need to place your hands properly on the gun before firing. If the gun is new, dry cycle the gun with your weak hand while holding it in your strong hand. That way you can see how it will move. I shoot single handed all the time but you need to be able to shoot double handed as well

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill learn, give me a chance this is my first handgun.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The P99 was mine as well. I've had it since Nov. of 2004. Did you follow a pistol safety class? A range near my house hosted an NRA one and it was great. Very informative and low on hype and pressure. In CA you need to have a handgun safety certificate which is a snap to obtain but still forces you to pay attention to basic techniques and rules. After that I did a home defense class, also from the NRA. A little more hype but still a good class. It helped that I had a very experienced and laid-back instructor with just about every qualification possible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts