Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on eBoy, I found this interesing item.
Guide Rod System

Have you heard of it? Have you tried it?
What do you think of it?
Opines???

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a springco recoil reducer (guide rod) on my P99 QA .40, it does seem to reduce muzzle flip a little and shorten the slide travel (enough to keep it from smacking the frame). I don't know if it was worth the 70+ dollars though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats good information... Heres another link to it at Brownells... Little pricey... If it made the gun last longer, it might be worth it... How's the reliability?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have one on my QA and it does the job for me! I got a reject at first (20 rounds and it blew apart in my gun). I e-mailed Alan at Sprinco and he sent me a new one! The new one has 300 rounds on it and no problems! I think it's worth the money if ya wanna control the recoil a little better!

·
Registered
27 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What do you mean it "blew apart" your gun?
IT (recoil reducer) blew apart "IN" my gun!! didn't blow the gun apart. It must have shot the guide rod out cause when I took it apart everything was there "BUT" the rod!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ](20 rounds and it blew apart in my gun)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is this a .40 S&W "thing"? Because to me, there is no noticeable muzzle flip with my P99AS 9mm -- even compared to something "heavier" like my Ruger KP89D. Or maybe it's just me....

Jim

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like it better than the original part, but can't justify the cost. BTW, I did a review of it with pictures a few months back. Do a search of this forum and I'm sure It'll come up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like it better than the original part, but can't justify the cost
That was my train of thought! I e-mailed Walther about a metal guide rod rather than the plastic one and said that they do not make metal ones! The reducer was the next best thing!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is there a market for stainless guide rods for the P99? There's a guy in Utah who machines custom stainless steel rods for the Steyr M9 and CZ's....if enough people were interested we might be able to talk him into one for the P99. I bought one for the Steyr -- nice quality work. I'll be honest, I'd have to go home and look at my P99 and see how "complicated" the guide rod is....that would drive the price. I paid $34 for my Steyr rod -- he charges $25 for CZ-75 rods (less of a pain to make). Anyway, it's something to consider if people are interested.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice offer Jim, but I'm more interested in the recoil reduction than I am just replacing the plastic with metal. Funny, but the plastic recoil system does not bother me. I've never heard of a Walther one breaking... I have in a Sig, but not the Walther...

Now if this fellow could make it so it would reduce the recoil some. That's a horse of another color...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess if nothing else, the added weight of a stainless rod would reduce the muzzle flip...although I find both flip and recoil to be pretty negligible. I don't really notice it - even compared to heavier guns like my Ruger KP89. Certainly not to the point wehere I'd want to pay $80+ to reduce it...probably different story for the .40 S&W guys.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got the Sprinco for my 9 mm P99 about two years ago. Although nicely made and finished I did not ascertain a recoil reduction whatsoever (firing 115 gr FMJ Sellier & Bellot). Moreover the assembly obviously was designed for the (longer) .40 SW slide, thus leaving a substantial lentgh of the recoil spring guide rod protruding out of the front of the slide. Also I noticed that this guide rod showed excessive lateral play in that it slammed against the edge of the guide rod passage hole in front of the slide, causing burs and marks on the slide and especially on the rod. For me it was a waste of money. I kicked it out of my gun and went back to the original thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think for us .40 cal guys it's an issue of heavier tougher parts (springs, metal guide rods, THE SLIDE, etc.) compared to lighter parts in the 9 mm. The 9mm's seem to be the best you can buy straight from the factory, whereas the .40s need some beefing up and fine tuning, probably just because of the heavier round. One has to keep in mind that the P99 was designed with 9mm in mind and they just crammed a .40 (which is just a scaled down 10mm) in the 9mm frame, and tossed a longer heavies slide on it, so it makes sense that the .40 cal P99s might need some 'beefing up' on the internals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the sprinco in my 9mm.I didn't notice anything different in performance,I got it because I didnt like the original one.the $70 is worth it, I didn't like the chipping or bending the original one was doing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts