Walther Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GSP Expert - a few tricks to share

Hi everyone, I just picked up a new GSP Expert in .22lr from Earl (Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page) recently which is my favorite target pistol at the moment.
Earl is a nice person and is very professional to deal with as many know already. I would certainly recommend him to anyone who is looking to get a new gun from Walther's family, including concealed ones and high-end target pistols. He custom-checks and prepares the guns before shipping which is not common these days.

Just a few of simple reversible (most important!) tricks about GSP Expert I recently did that I would like to share with other GSP owners who may be interested too:

#1 - Making bolt lock on the last round to prevent dry-fire. I have been looking to make the bolt lock on the last round like most of semi-autos. It is not a good idea to dry fire the GSP as the firing pin top part hits the breach and may cause the metal to metal peening eventually or even break. Occasional dry fire should be fine I guess.
What I did after some research was replacing the existing magazine follower buttons with custom made ones which I tooled from suitable bolts that have large heads with the same diameter as the existing ones. The new buttons protrude about a couple of millimeters from the magazine causing the bolt lock lever lock the bolt on the last round just like regular magazines.
About an hour or so per each button using Dremel tool, some grinding wheels, files and polishing paste. If you have a lathing tool at home it will just take a few minutes to have the new part ready. I attached a couple of pictures of the new buttons. These are not permanent changes and I can easily install old buttons to have the bolt return on the last round.

#2 - Putting the safety lever between Fire and Safe causes the trigger to click audibly on the second stage which can be used for 'dry-fire' practice. Of course, it is no near the regular dry fire practice using snap caps but can still be used for exercising at home. I found that using ANY snap caps with .22lr is a pain because the rims eventually crush and need to rotate, they stick in the chamber, etc. Using this simple technique allows to have the trigger pull in double-action mode and does not require to rack the bolt to pull the hammer. I like it for simple practice exercises.

#3 - Adding a silicone recoil buffer cushion circle to reduce recoil. I found some hard silicone 1.5mm sheets laying around and cut a small circle out of it just slightly larger than the recoil spring diameter to use as recoil buffer cushioning. The circle is placed flat inside the bottom of the slide where the bolt hits the metal. It noticeably reduces the recoil snap making shots a bit smoother. I doubt it has any other purposes as preventing the slide and the bolt from premature wear or even damage because of the relatively lighter power of rimfire ammo. But it is a simple trick anyways and the cushion can be easily replaced or removed when worn. Without the buffer cushion the bolt just hits the metal-to-metal inside the slide and it may get worse after a few thousand shots when the recoil spring gets weaker. Earlier models of GSP before 70s even developed slide cracks when the spring became weak or other reasons. Per Earl - the spring needs to be replaced every 10k rounds which makes perfect sense. No HP or HV rimfire ammo too, I try to stick to CCI SV or Aquilla Standard for practice on the range.

If someone else has other useful tips and tricks about GSP and target pistols in general, please chime in and share your ideas.

Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts