Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here contemplating on which grips to get for my PPK/S. I am wondering... Do you prefer smooth or checkered grips? and why? Advantages, disadvantages to either? Comfort or it it just a matter of looks?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Preference.

Try what you can!

Some like a grippy type feel, like an inner-tube. Others may prefer a more rough texture, like sandpaper, and for most of us, somewhere in between is just fine.

Do you sweat a lot? Will you be carrying?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Grips? Smooth or Checklered?

The first thing I did was like cheap plastic grips off my PPK and store them away. I'm now on my third set of wood grips and I really like them.

Of the three sets two have been checkered and one smooth. I tend to prefer the smooth myself.

I would like to highly recommend eBay seller edritch1 (no affiliation). The grips he sells fit the Smith & Wesson PPK perfectly. I especially like that they have two small reinforcing dowels in the backstrap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you sweat a lot?
No, not much of sweater, especially not my hands.

Will you be carrying?
Yes, either the PPK/S or the Bersa Thunder .380.

One of the reasons I am thinking of replacing the grips is that I think if I can get some grips that are a little bit wider than the stock grips (like on the Bersa), the backstrap sting (from the gun being skinny) wont be so bad. I just want to buy grips once, rather than end up buying two or three pair until find something I really like.

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
I like original checkered grips and never felt a need to replace original grips which are checkered plastic.

Reactions: gene 1

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have Black buffalo horn on my Interarms I had Ivory once and they cracked in thin area where safety passes . I like a smooth grip as doesn't cling to clothing . Most of you holding on a pistol is the front strap not the grip any way . Want better grip a little skate board tape on front grip way to go.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Soren, Like Searcher said you bought the best with Grips4U . I have them on my WW2 PPK to save the originals. I did put about 6 coats of Tru Oil on mine & it has held up great for over 4 years. It gives them a nice low shine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok. Just ordered new grips... Walther, PPK/S, grips Grips4u
I just replaced my plastic grips with the wood grip from Grips4U and they're beautiful on my new SW PPK/S 380. There was another thread about someone having problems with their PPK/S because of his new wood grip (from Altamont), so I was a little bit apprehensive when I fired mine at the range this morning. Yes it was flawless in more than 50 rounds.

You might have to do this on yours too but I had to shave just a little bit from the inside of one grip to clear a tab in the frame. You will know what I mean easily when one side of the grip is not totally flushed against the frame.

·
Super Moderator
7,710 Posts
Soren, wider grips likely won't solve the 'grip sting' issue. The problem isn't the grips, it's the .380 slide coming to an abrupt stop when it runs out of travel. It always felt like smacking a rock with an iron bar. Even a gihugo set of Pachymars many years ago didn't solve the problem for me.

Different grips may feel better in your hands, or fit you better. I'll vote with JW on this one; the factory grip's slimness always felt best to me, while the bulk of the replacements were harder to hide and were too big for my hands.

For a relatively mild kicker (the 'sting' thing excepted), some checkering likely gives you a better hold on the Walther. This is in contrast to really nasty kickers like that 11oz .357 S&W; rough grips become like holding on to a cheese grater.

Unhappily, what works for you may come down to experimenting. Then you can join the rest of us with a box full of grips we didn't like.
Moon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soren, wider grips likely won't solve the 'grip sting' issue. The problem isn't the grips, it's the .380 slide coming to an abrupt stop when it runs out of travel. It always felt like smacking a rock with an iron bar. Even a gihugo set of Pachymars many years ago didn't solve the problem for me.

Different grips may feel better in your hands, or fit you better. I'll vote with JW on this one; the factory grip's slimness always felt best to me, while the bulk of the replacements were harder to hide and were too big for my hands.

For a relatively mild kicker (the 'sting' thing excepted), some checkering likely gives you a better hold on the Walther. This is in contrast to really nasty kickers like that 11oz .357 S&W; rough grips become like holding on to a cheese grater.

Unhappily, what works for you may come down to experimenting. Then you can join the rest of us with a box full of grips we didn't like.
Moon
That makes sense. I did decide on the checkered grips (with the Walther banner) Hopefully, they'll at least look good and are comfortable. If not, I'll try to find some smooth ones that look good, eventually end up with a box full of grips that I don't like as much as the stock grips and stick with the stock grips like every one else ;) :rolleyes: :) :D

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
...generally a question of taste and a question of need.

I need thicker grips to prevent slide bite (I've got large hands). These grips are original Walther "genuine wood grips" (60th/70th) made by Sile (=> thanks again, 153 ;)).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've always liked the Sile/OEM stocks that Martin has on his pistol.

There are quite a number of wood stocks out now, so we really are blessed. The PPK with the skeleton backstrap can really benefit from aftermarket wood, a subtle curve or a little more wood and you've got something that really fits your hand.

I got these off the ebay and they are really a nice fit ....

They were pink when I recieved them, but a little walnut stain fixed that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.