Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Walther Gods,

Greetings. I'd like to start off saying the p99 QA is my first gun, both to own and to shoot. I have put about 750 rounds through it so far and am still working on the most comfortable and best way to hold the gun. What I am having trouble with is the extended magazine release (Frame code AF)

I shoot left handed, and if I hold my right hand in the most comfortable position, when I fire the gun the recoil causes my right thumb to hit the magazine release.

Has anyone else had this problem, or is my grip totally wrong? I am attempting to emulate my roomate when he shoots and he says I am holding it right. I've worked on putting my right hand in a few different positions, but none are as comfortable as that one with my thumb resting right on that release...

Thanks in advance,

Jon

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Your thumb should be above your trigger finger. Do a google search on "weaver stance" and you'll find a picture of the proper hand placment I'm sure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Everyone has there own kind of grip.  Comfort, stability and functionality.  If you explained your grip more that may help.

Are your thumbs sitting one above the other like two humping dogs etc.

PS I am left handed to and havent had any issues with grip.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My right hand index finger is right under the trigger guard, with my fingers covering my left hand. My thumb rests exactly on top of the magazine release. On my roommates XD40 this isn't a problem, only on mine with the extended release.

I have shot a few hundred with my right hand angled more, so that my thumb rests along the side of the frame above the trigger, pretty much on top of the slide release. This works well, but its not as comfortable as the other grip.

-- jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts