Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I had a pretty good grip....thumbs forward, palm of left hand (am rt. handed) fitting in the area formed by grip of dominant hand with top of palm firm against the gun, then wrapping fingers of left hand around. when shooting, I put more pressure with my left hand.

Then saw video of mike Seeklander on grip...he stressed pretty much the above....but said squeeze the gun hard with BOTH hands and pressing forward with palms. think this is Bob Vogels grip also pretty much

Tried that today, and shot erratically....maybe go back to my regular grip??

Any advice on grip appreciated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Grip hard both hands to fight your muzzle rise and bring it back to target. Squeeze slow and smooth so you can’t predict to the millisecond when your gun fires. At the same time, your target should be blurry as you focus on the front sight of the gun and not the target itself. Keep your sight picture from changing as you squeeze the trigger. (This is where dry fire practice comes in. No cost and you can practice at home. Keep that front sight in focus and square on the rear sight.)

Rinse and repeat KJ until your groups get tighter. Don’t try to shoot at a great distance and try to put each round through the same hole as the preceding one. It will come over time.

Another suggestion: when practicing dry firing, and when you can keep the sight picture with each squeeze of the trigger, balance something on the end of the barrel like an empty shell. Try dry firing without the shell falling off. You’re training muscle memory, eye focus, and strengthening the necessary muscles in your hand/wrist/forearm. It’s great that you’re doing all this to improve technique.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
watched a video last night "Pistol Grip Lesson" by Shannon Smith-Grand Master & World Champion. He says grip pressure should be 70% from support hand, 30% from dominant hand. The video was pretty much my grip before I tried what I described above. Went back to my old grip and shot my Q great today. Certainly more than one way to skin a cat, but I'm staying with my and Shannon Smith's grip!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's a test that might mimic whats happening. Make a fist with your hand. Now relax and make a fist with your hand as hard as you possibly can. I dont know about you but my fist shakes when I do this. Honestly, without getting one on one help, I would just stick with what works. Happy shooting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.