Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the grip angle of the PPQ? Seems to be a deep dark secret. If a current PPQ owner wants to buy another pistol brand and wants a grip angle close to the PPQ, just to be consistent in his/her sight grip, then it would be nice to know what his/her current grip angle is. But even Walther can't answer this question. For instance, among the Ruger, Buckmark and S&W Victory .22 calibers which angle is closest to the PPQ? Sure would help with purchasing decisions but, of course, nothing can substitute for actually handling each brand. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I'm sure it must be near the "natural pointing" 110deg angle.

·
Premium Member
13,815 Posts
If I wanted to know the grip angle, I'd just figure it out myself. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Find a working surface about 12" x 24" (could me more or less)(I'm thinking plywood)...be creative. Secure a little piece of wood to the upper edge of the work surface. This little piece of wood should be short enough to fit between your front and rear sight. Now lay the gun on the work surface and push it up until the top of the slide is up against the little block of wood. Remove magazine, use a 1/2" or 3/8" square wooden dowel (Ace Hardware) and stick it up the magwell, pressing the wooden dowel up against the front edge of the magwell. Now, hold the dowel in place, use a pencil and put a mark on the plywood, along the dowel. NOW, remove the pistol and measure the angle.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Here are three excerpts from a writing by Springfield Firearms with a link to the work for those who want to read more.

You need to be able to instinctively point the muzzle at a target quickly in a defensive situation. A comfortable and repeatable grip on the gun is aided by a natural grip angle on the handgun.

With the initial gripping of the holstered gun, the shooter must be able to safely and positively control and draw the gun. Consistency is key here and learning to draw well is an issue of training and muscle memory.

It helps conceal. A handgun's grip angle and length affect how concealable it is.
https://blog.springfield-armory.com/does-grip-angle-matter-3-reasons-it-does

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Using graph paper to lay out lines for the top of the slide and the angle line for the front of the grip I created a right triangle. Using the measurements for the three sides (a, b and hypotenuse) I calculate 19.88 degrees.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Using graph paper to lay out lines for the top of the slide and the angle line for the front of the grip I created a right triangle. Using the measurements for the three sides (a, b and hypotenuse) I calculate 19.88 degrees.

Grip /_ is usually defined as degrees from bore to grip.

So your 19.88 degree measurement, when added to 90 degrees, totals 109.88 degrees.

This is only .12 degrees short of my initial post of "approx. 110 degrees".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts